CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Children's Museum

gs3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe the goodyear store could become a two story visitors center with a pedestrian bridge connecting across academy street to Heritage Green. The bridge would connect to the second floor of the visitors center. Speaking of Heritage Green I wonder how a stand alone restaurant would do that served the library and the museums?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The building is looking much better painted. Any idea if childrens type colors will be added?

Amazing what this gray did for the building. Took it in a modern direction......it could work in ICAR now.....IMHO.

I snapped this photo from the Greek Festival last night of the back side of the building. Notice on the roof to the right, an elevator door and awning on the roof. This is new. Are there plans for some type of public space on the roof? Anyone know? :dontknow: If so, it will be a very cool view of downtown.

IMG_5272.jpg

Ah ha! That's what else was going on downtown last night! Sheeesh, it was packed! I drove in after dinner to check out the paint job on the museum and 385 was backed up to Stone. There was the Bilo Center Snoop Dog concert/Crawfish Boil thing (?), a Drive game in the West End, people in town for the BMW Charity ProAm, and The Greek Festival near Heritage Green. I was wondering why so many people were on foot crossing Academy and College. It all makes a lot more sense now. Definitely an active night/weekend for downtown!

And, yes, the museum looks so much better. It has been brought into the 21st century with such a minor (though major) change.

^ Add to all those events, Main Steet Jazz which was also going on.

Not to sound "nimby-ish" here, but I'm not sure I ever want to see Greenville more crowded than it was last night. With all those events, just walking down the sidewalks was a challenge in places. I won't even comment on traffic.

Too much of a good thing?

There is a fine line. I don't want Greenville to cross the line.

The building is looking much better painted. Any idea if childrens type colors will be added?

Amazing what this gray did for the building. Took it in a modern direction......it could work in ICAR now.....IMHO.

I snapped this photo from the Greek Festival last night of the back side of the building. Notice on the roof to the right, an elevator door and awning on the roof. This is new. Are there plans for some type of public space on the roof? Anyone know? :dontknow: If so, it will be a very cool view of downtown.

IMG_5272.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the exact opening date for this? I know it's July.....everything I read says July.....just can't find an exact date. Is it early July or late July? :dontknow: I have nephews that will be in town the first week of July and would love to take them to the museum.

Does anyone know the exact opening date for this? I know it's July.....everything I read says July.....just can't find an exact date. Is it early July or late July? :dontknow: I have nephews that will be in town the first week of July and would love to take them to the museum.

• 3 weeks later...

They really have done a wonderful job with this building. I think it looks much better today than it ever has before (even when it was the main library).

I agree with the color comment. The under sides of the second story overhangs are a bright red. Very nicely done!

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of children's museums have one price for adults and a lower price for kids, like EdVenture in Columbia ($8.95 for adults, $6.95 for kids 1 and over). Charleston's is a $7 flat rate for everyone. The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, the world's largest at over 400,000 sq ft (!), admits adults for $14.50 and kids 2 and up for $9.50.

Archived