CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Children's Museum

gs3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was adrockc2, krazee, that provided the photo from the Greenville News. It may look uninspiring; however, for $11M, I wouldn't have expected too much to be done to the outside of that old library building. It actually looks from the rendering as though more will be done than I would have expected. It almost looks from the rendering as though the entrance will be on the second level?

The main college street entrance to that building is on the second/ or main level. The first level of the building can only be accessed from the back of the building.

since it sounds like some of you don't remember how it was laid out as the main library, here goes:

First floor: theatre/ stage area, offices, check out, storage and multimedia

It's interesting how small the globe looks in the new location compared to the central location in the old library. You actually felt like you were in orbit around it in the old location. I wonder if the would consider relocating it back to where it was. As a child I was pretty fascinated by it but now it only looks like a decoration stuck off in a corner.

It's been years since I've seen the globe (I stopped using the library when they moved). Have updates been made to it, or is it still circa 1972 or whenever it was installed? I always thought it was really neat, like linkerjpatrick said, when I was a kid, and liked how it was the centerpiece to the library. It always seemed like that building was designed around having the globe in the middle. Was it always there, or was it put in after the library opened?

• 3 months later...

Found these floorplans on the TCM web site.

Lower Level:

floorplan_lower.jpg

Main Level:

floorplan_main.jpg

Upper Level:

floorplan_upper.jpg

Looks pretty interesting...my kids should love it!

I'm impressed by the size and outdoor seating of the cafe, too. If you've ever been to EdVenture, then you know that the food option there is McDonald's and that it's located in the basement and is quite small. I'd trade a larger area for the automated ordering neatness any day.

Found these floorplans on the TCM web site.

Lower Level:

floorplan_lower.jpg

Main Level:

floorplan_main.jpg

Upper Level:

floorplan_upper.jpg

Looks pretty interesting...my kids should love it!

I'm impressed by the size and outdoor seating of the cafe, too. If you've ever been to EdVenture, then you know that the food option there is McDonald's and that it's located in the basement and is quite small. I'd trade a larger area for the automated ordering neatness any day.

• 7 months later...

Archived