CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Children's Museum

gs3

A lot of children's museums have one price for adults and a lower price for kids, like EdVenture in Columbia ($8.95 for adults, $6.95 for kids 1 and over). Charleston's is a $7 flat rate for everyone. The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, the world's largest at over 400,000 sq ft (!), admits adults for $14.50 and kids 2 and up for $9.50.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mean for this to sound snippy, but I don't really see how this applies to Greenville. The children's museums in Columbia and Charleston are not as nice, as large, or as new as The Children's Museum in Greenville, so they should be less. As for Indianapolis, one adult and one child costs a total of $24, the same as one adult and one child in Greenville - so no difference there. One good thing about the museum in Indianapolis is that parking is free. I hope Greenville has done this, too.

Just to add two cents...

My wife went with my daughter yesterday. She said it is a lot better than Columbia's Edventure and the Children's Museum in Chatanooga. One issue that I noticed with the one in Columbia and the one in Chatanooga is that maintenance is an issue. Both had broken displays... Chatanooga's was especially hard hit. If the additional fee can address maintenance adequately, then the additional fee is worth it.

In a related note about the price. The fact that it isn't a graduated price is fine with me. If anything, I'd prefer to have it the opposite, where adults are cheaper... $15 for a kid... and the adult is free, or something along those lines. The kids are really where maintenance issues arise... and the more adults that attend, the better supervised the kid will be.

There is a discount for groups of 15 or more... don't remember what the price difference is though.

With all due respect, whoever called us "whiners" and "complainers" and said that movies were just as, if not more expensive; you have no ideas what you're talking about. Hollywood 20 Matinee (which is obviously when we'd go) is $7 per adult and $6.50 for kids. We always buy our candy at the $ store, 'cause we're not suckers (no pun intended). Total at the movies for my wife, my daughter and myself: $21.50 including candy and free parking. Total for my wife, my daughter and myself at the children museum: $36, plus food, plus parking. $15 dollar difference. Huge difference; HUGE!

http://www.fandango.com/regalhollywood20gr...erb/theaterpage

So, seriously, all of the elitist comments, please think before you type and realize that it is quite expensive, for a family, especially in this economy. Not to mention that kids 1 and up have to pay, yet looking at the website, there's zero things for a one year old to do anyway; it's absurd. Just a quick search and we might be the most expensive one in the country. :dontknow: Look at this one in Washington state, they have free Fridays once a month, and toddlers pay less, which makes sense, since they can't participate in all of the exhibits. Will we go? yes. Will we go as much as we might like? Not at those prices, just more zoo time.

http://www.childrensmuseums.org/visit/us_members.htm

http://www.hocm.org/page.php?id=27

With all due respect, whoever called us "whiners" and "complainers" and said that movies were just as, if not more expensive; you have no ideas what you're talking about. Hollywood 20 Matinee (which is obviously when we'd go) is $7 per adult and $6.50 for kids. We always buy our candy at the $ store, 'cause we're not suckers (no pun intended). Total at the movies for my wife, my daughter and myself: $21.50 including candy and free parking. Total for my wife, my daughter and myself at the children museum: $36, plus food, plus parking. $15 dollar difference. Huge difference; HUGE!

http://www.fandango.com/regalhollywood20gr...erb/theaterpage

So, seriously, all of the elitist comments, please think before you type and realize that it is quite expensive, for a family, especially in this economy. Not to mention that kids 1 and up have to pay, yet looking at the website, there's zero things for a one year old to do anyway; it's absurd. Just a quick search and we might be the most expensive one in the country. :dontknow: Look at this one in Washington state, they have free Fridays once a month, and toddlers pay less, which makes sense, since they can't participate in all of the exhibits. Will we go? yes. Will we go as much as we might like? Not at those prices, just more zoo time.

http://www.childrensmuseums.org/visit/us_members.htm

http://www.hocm.org/page.php?id=27

Having gone to several places this summer and paid admission fees to all sorts of attractions, the prices don't shock me like they maybe should. I think the better way to go about charging would definitely be the scaled price, charging most for kids and adults either being free or a low price.

For reference, it's $16 for an adult and $9 for kids to go to the top of the Seattle Space Needle. Once you get to the top, there's nothing more than a view and an overpriced gift shop. DC's International Spy Museum charges $18 for adults, and $15 for kids. It's going to be hard to find the perfect comparison for price information, but for the MOST part I think it's fair to say that you get what you pay for. And, while I have not been to the new Children's Museum of the Upstate, from the beginning I've seen nothing less than the highest quality and top notch efforts being put forth for this development to come to fruition.

I guess I didn't cite the statistics for Discovery Place since it's not solely a children's museum, although it includes that component. It's also got an IMAX and is the site for special traveling exhibits like the Dead Sea Scrolls. The entire facility is 160K square feet.

I guess I didn't cite the statistics for Discovery Place since it's not solely a children's museum, although it includes that component. It's also got an IMAX and is the site for special traveling exhibits like the Dead Sea Scrolls. The entire facility is 160K square feet.

I feel it is worth mentioning that to the places credit, it is top notch. I would go to the childrens museum of Indianapolis every year as a child and I can say it compares favorably with that. It has a great set up and I love the climbing equipment in the center. It is designed by a man that lives in a wheel chair believe it or not. My son went nuts on the water feature downstairs. That said, they have some early kinks to work out. One is the arm band scans, mine would never work, so an atendant that had to stand at the scanner full time and would have to use a band she keep in her hand to get the turnstiles to work. I also must say that when compared to the prices of the other family activities in the area it will be hard for me to justify going there more than a few times. The Greenville Zoo was $42 for my family of three for a one year unlimited pass with extra guest passes as well for when the Grandparents come down. We spent this in one visit to the CMOU. Sorry, it's a lot to spend for us.

I feel it is worth mentioning that to the places credit, it is top notch. I would go to the childrens museum of Indianapolis every year as a child and I can say it compares favorably with that. It has a great set up and I love the climbing equipment in the center. It is designed by a man that lives in a wheel chair believe it or not. My son went nuts on the water feature downstairs. That said, they have some early kinks to work out. One is the arm band scans, mine would never work, so an atendant that had to stand at the scanner full time and would have to use a band she keep in her hand to get the turnstiles to work. I also must say that when compared to the prices of the other family activities in the area it will be hard for me to justify going there more than a few times. The Greenville Zoo was $42 for my family of three for a one year unlimited pass with extra guest passes as well for when the Grandparents come down. We spent this in one visit to the CMOU. Sorry, it's a lot to spend for us.

Wow, just wow.

Greenville now has the largest children's museum in the Southeast. An empty building on a prime corner in Heritage Green was redevloped for the museum. This museum is something most places would kill to have. It will educate 100's of thousands of children. It is by all accounts something to be as proud of Liberty Bridge, the Riverwalk or Fluor Field..................yet most of this thread is about the price of a 12 dollar admission. :shok:

For those who have children and do go, please let us know your impression of the museum. :thumbsup:

EdVenture in Columbia is going to do an addition in the 4th quarter of this year in conjunction with a new park on the Columbia canal. I'm not sure how the square footage of the two museums will compare then. South Carolina has its children covered as far as museums are concerned.

That will depend on how many square feet a meeting room, a warming kitchen, a police substation and public restrooms take up at Canal Front and what the current difference in the two centers' square footage is. And for EdVenture throw in a lot of the adjacent State Museum's square footage because of their overlap in exhibits that excite children. Just kidding.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/838554.html

Wow, just wow.

Greenville now has the largest children's museum in the Southeast. An empty building on a prime corner in Heritage Green was redevloped for the museum. This museum is something most places would kill to have. It will educate 100's of thousands of children. It is by all accounts something to be as proud of Liberty Bridge, the Riverwalk or Fluor Field..................yet most of this thread is about the price of a 12 dollar admission. :shok:

For those who have children and do go, please let us know your impression of the museum. :thumbsup:

That will depend on how many square feet a meeting room, a warming kitchen, a police substation and public restrooms take up at Canal Front and what the current difference in the two centers' square footage is. And for EdVenture throw in a lot of the adjacent State Museum's square footage because of their overlap in exhibits that excite children. Just kidding.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/838554.html

Archived