Two Columbus Center progress

vdogg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The anti everything crowd is coming out in force on the pilot but I must say that this is the best response to them yet. :lol:

Have you been to town center (hide comment)

Obviously those people saying that parking is an issue don't work or frequent Town Center. Have you been to downtown Norfolk? When was the last time you found free parking within a block of your final destination there? At Town Center parking is free and I guarantee that 24 hours a day you can find a spot within 1 block of where you are going. The problem isn't lack of parking it is all the lazy suburbanites that aren't willing to 1) learn how to drive in a parking garage 2) walk their buffet grazing A$$es more than 20 feet to get to their next meal. I would be willing to back up my guarantee with a free meal at the Golden Corral to any individual that can prove me wrong. Don't let your own ignorance be a reason to spout untruth. The beauty of the Town Center concept is that it is a step in the direction of creating a cultural center in an otherwise cultureless suburb. If you don't like it, don't come back. This obviously isn't for you. Kempsville is right around the corner.

- Eric W. - Norfolk

This is a telling comment for those of us who would try to limit parking in downtown Norfolk. I know it's one way to help to increase transit use, but the Norfolk cbd is just to small for such measures to be effective. We have to watch out for the "one size fits all" response. One reason Mac Arthur Mall works well because the parking is so convenient. I'd pay to park in Town center too, but the convenience is probably the key.

They will start charging for parking when that tax doesn't cover it anymore. But by that time, the area should be built up enough that it would be seen as a real urban area and not matter to have to start charging. (also, much of the parking at Pembroke would have to be built up by then too)

They will start charging for parking when that tax doesn't cover it anymore. But by that time, the area should be built up enough that it would be seen as a real urban area and not matter to have to start charging. (also, much of the parking at Pembroke would have to be built up by then too)

• 1 month later...

I saw this morning in the Pilot there was a story about plans for a new TC office tower being submitted to the city. It was the same article about Columbus Two from a few months ago. I just looked back on the pilot and it was gone and I'm getting a bunch of errors on there site.

Did they accidentaly repost an old article or was the headlight about a new tower and they mistakenly posted the old story?

Hmmm

I saw this morning in the Pilot there was a story about plans for a new TC office tower being submitted to the city. It was the same article about Columbus Two from a few months ago. I just looked back on the pilot and it was gone and I'm getting a bunch of errors on there site.

Did they accidentaly repost an old article or was the headlight about a new tower and they mistakenly posted the old story?

Hmmm

Yeah, there is no mention on the upcoming September 12th "preliminary agenda" nor is there anything in the most recent August 8th agenda or staff reports. :dontknow:

I saw this morning in the Pilot there was a story about plans for a new

• 3 months later...

This building could've been 14 stories tall......Back in 1988, lol.

Construction will begin early in 1988 on Two Columbus Center, a $25 million office building in Virginia Beach's business district. The 14-floor, 168,000-square-foot project will be Virginia Beach's largest and tallest building.

Two Columbus Center will be next to One Columbus Center, which was completed in 1983. The two are the first of several office buildings planned for the 38-acre Columbus Center Urban Office Complex. The project is the focal point of the central business district of Virginia Beach

back in 88 was the closest we ever got to a downtown before now. Granted, if the idea back in 88 would of happened, it would of been a massive urban office park that would of resembled some of the ones built up in DC. I am happy it didn't get built, I think I like this one much more. It seems to be more thought out when it comes to livability.

Archived