Best West Michigan Golf Courses

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moved to the Coffee House YF. :thumbsup:

- I was in a golf league at Boulder Creek, and I love that course. It looks somewhat flat and barren from Cannonsburg Rd, but the terrain is amazing and it's pretty challenging.

- Saskatoon near Caledonia is also a great course, and the whole course is heavily wooded. I haven't played there in years though.

- I'd say our most prestigious and impressive course we have now is Thousand Oaks off of 5 Mile east of the Beltline, with incredible views of the Grand River valley.

- I've heard the Mines is pretty nice, but haven't played there yet.

My favorite course that I have played at is Wuskowhan Players Club north of Holland. Private course that is really expensive but I got to go for free. Great Course. My favorite public course is probably Boulder Creek or Gull Lake View. I am a new golfer though so I have not been to a lot of courses.

Pilgrim's Run which is 30 minutes north of GR, www.pilgrimsrun.com 4-1/2 stars by Golf Digest 2004 to 2006.

I also really enjoy Thousand Oaks golf club in GR. www.thousandoaksgolf.com also 4-1/2 stars by Golf Digest 2002, 2004 & 2006. This course feels like you are way up north and you will forget your 15 minutes from downtown.

Put me down for Thousand Oaks, as well.

I've been to the Mines...it doesn't belong in any "best" lists.

Other very nice tracks:

-Thornapple Pointe

-Quail Ridge

-Ravines in Saugatuck

And, if you want to wander north, Arcadia Bluffs is one of those "must experience at least once" events.

If you want an easy-on course that won't kill your wallet, check out . If you don't mind a little drive, go find Willow Wood Country Club just south of Portland. It is the best course in the state for the money ($20-22 for 9 w/ cart) - Just beautiful... try to go on a weeknight or morning. Best layout is Thornapple Ridge, best scenery is Thousand Oaks, and if you know anyone that can get you on at either Watermark or The Centennial (private), don't pass it up - - - both are great fun.

Boulder creek is interesting.

Front nine is nice, through the rolling terrain, and woods, and then the back half is a boring barren wasteland. Decent course when the rates are good, when they get above $50, they're not worth it.

Thornapple, again, decent layout, noise is a major issue for me there.

T. Oaks is great, also though, price dependant. Sometimes the conditions don't warrant the $85 greens fee.

Boulder creek is interesting.

Front nine is nice, through the rolling terrain, and woods, and then the back half is a boring barren wasteland. Decent course when the rates are good, when they get above $50, they're not worth it.

Thornapple, again, decent layout, noise is a major issue for me there.

T. Oaks is great, also though, price dependant. Sometimes the conditions don't warrant the $85 greens fee.

I hit 290+ with a wicked draw off my Cleveland driver - - The Centennial has eaten about 200 of my beautiful Noodles before the poor things ever got to break back - - I suppose I just should've checked my ego at the teebox and hit a 5 wood - - oh well - go big or go home, right?

And you're right , Dad, I don't think Watermark is the nicest course, but it is a hard course to get on because of loyal league play 6 of 7 days of the weeks (all cheer here). I was just saying if you have a chance, check it out. It is still a fun course.

One more great place to check out is the Meadows at GVSU... pretty long course, pretty challenging, but very nicely kept up.

I wonder the same. When I was a kid it was very exclusive (1960's). We'd spent many winters sliding ourselves and our toboggans under the fence at the end of Country Club Drive and spent hours on the hills on that side of the course. (I don't golf!) Anyway, no one from Kent CC ever complained but, we knew our place and never approached the front entrance.

Yes, its still one of the exclusive clubs in GR (Cascade Hills, Egypt Valley, and Blythefield being the others).

From GR Magazine...

Kent CC is also notable because it was designed by Donald Ross.

I have fond memories of Kent since I caddied there for 9 years. The course was always immaculately maintained and rarely busy.

My favorite course in the area that I've actually played would be L.E. Kaufmann in Wyoming.

I wonder the same. When I was a kid it was very exclusive (1960's). We'd spent many winters sliding ourselves and our toboggans under the fence at the end of Country Club Drive and spent hours on the hills on that side of the course. (I don't golf!) Anyway, no one from Kent CC ever complained but, we knew our place and never approached the front entrance.

And if you knew Dr. VanderMolen or Dr. Vos' kids you could go over the ladders in their backyards to go sliding. You're right, you had to stay away from the front gate - they didn't let kids in for sliding there. Do you remember the Rollins family that hit a tree tobogganing and put about 5 of them in the hospital?

Wow, what year did that happen? Must have been after I left GR, my parents probably would not have told me about it. When I think of the things we used to do. One hill was pretty much free of trees and the other was loaded with them, with a pond at the bottom. From the pond to the edge of the course was a shallow concrete revetment leading to the large sewer drain pipe that went under the streets...the revetment had a narrow wooden bridge across and we'd go down between the trees and across that narrow bridge. We could have been head-first into concrete many times...eeeuw

I forgot about sledding over the ditch on the bridge. For a long time there wasn't a grate on the end of the pipe. It must be a 66" or 72" pipe because we could easily walk in it standing up. A couple of my buddies walked up to Sweet Street and popped the cover there. I was claustrophobic so I walked on the street and listened for them at the manholes. Hmmmmm - a couple 8th grade girls and a couple 8th grade boys in a dark pipe :whistling: (I was in 8th grade in 1963) Where did you live? Emerald just south of Spencer for me.

Archived