Buckhead Resturant Capital Circle?

fsubelch

I believe that is the name of the resturant...next door to the Ruby Tuesday's on Capital Circle. Anyway, does anyone have any info on this place? I have been in Tallahassee for about 5 years, and this place always looks like it is soon to be opened. From what I hear, this used to be quite the resurant. Just last week when I drove by there were people working inside and on the outside. Any news on whats going on here? Seems to be a beautiful building, and we all know Tallahassee could use a resturant like this.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe that is the name of the resturant...next door to the Ruby Tuesday's on Capital Circle. Anyway, does anyone have any info on this place? I have been in Tallahassee for about 5 years, and this place always looks like it is soon to be opened. From what I hear, this used to be quite the resurant. Just last week when I drove by there were people working inside and on the outside. Any news on whats going on here? Seems to be a beautiful building, and we all know Tallahassee could use a resturant like this.

Well there has been this long drawn out process of converting this facility into a Farmer's Market. A group, or Woman, from Thomasville was said to Purchase it from DeVoe Moore (this is how I was told the story) and she's proposed brining in this restaurant that serves Country style food on a Buffet (Ribs, Steak, Mac & Cheese, Greens, Yams, Hams, and so on... ) I'm not sure what the hold up is. This has been a year or more since I heard of the proposal.

It was a nice restaurant with pretty decent beer. It has been closed since around late 2002 or early 2003. I don't know if something new is coming or if beer will remain a theme. Hopefully, someone else will come along soon with better answers.

Country Cooking it will be......ugh.

Yeah I get my haircut at Renegade there next to this joke of a place. The gal there parks her car at this location and also cuts the hair of the guy who is "managing" the construction of the place and that is what he told her. The completion date of the restaurant is a running joke at the barbershop. I think they've been working on it a little over 2.5 years plus another 2 years makes nearly 5 years! Ridiculous! Remember the Golden Gate Bridge was built in 1.5 years. With progress like this, just think how long it will take to get your food or even your drink order. :)

^I don't think it was a ridiculous statement at all. I think it was a wishful thinking statement, hoping that something different would come along. I know I do have that same wish, but understand the market forces around here and that means that BBQ, Country Cooking and Mexican food reign supreme.

^ maybe they should put a french bistro in for those with more discerning taste? it would be nice, but it would fail. regardless, the above statement is ridiculous. the owner is building to what the market will support, and Tally loves Mexican, country cooking and BBQ.

let me get this straight, you think that high paying jobs coming to tallahassee are driving by the restaurants that are in our community?

"Yea, but if we want Tallahassee to progress, and want people with money to stay here and/or come here, theyre not going to want country cooking."

^ that is the part i think is ridiculous and i stand by it! tallahassee is a southern city and its culinary selections reflect the same. up north, there were a lot more "ethnic" food choices (Italian/Portugese/Hungarian). why? not to attract jobs, not to keep jobs, but because that is what the market wanted. good luck trying to find good BBQ in NH/ME...

anyways, Tallahassee isn't Tampa, or Orlando or Miami and that is part of the reason i like it. not everyone who likes country cooking is a good ol' boy hick...

i guess i just viewed the comment as snobby, sorry if i misinterpreted your point GG.

Money won't come to Tally because of restaurants.

It takes strategy that brings all parties together to give the best incentive to get big $$$ companies (per employee...not necessarily big companies).

Something Tally stinks at or more likely, just doesn't believe it. Tally has always been content with low paying state jobs and that is what we have.

With all due respect, I think Tallahassee has a LACK of country cooking places, both in quality and sheer number. I'm talking about places that serve the casseroles, the butter beans, lima beans, rutabagas, collards, chicken livers, steamed squash... When you think about it, what is there really? Cracker Barrel? C'mon. Brooma's (not very good or extensive)? That buffet way up near Lake Jackson Station? Barnhill's (a chain restaurant that is more a generic buffet than a proponent of passed-down recipes). For a city that's located at least tangentially in the South, Tallahassee has a serious dirth of good down-home country cooking given its size.

Anyone who's been to the original Farmer's Market Diner up in Thomasville knows that it's some of the best homemade southern cooking one can find anywhere in the South, period. Here in Raleigh/Durham, NC...those who know Market Diner wish we had southern food that good. Tallahassee would be blessed to get a second location of that in town.

You know, just because it's down-home cooking doesn't mean it's by any means inferior; the genre shouldn't be excluded as a class en masse when one can achieve wondrous excellence within the genre.

It's true that Tallahassee really needs to refine its restaurant tastes in terms of haute cuisine as well. It's pathetic to see how not one gourmet restaurant in Tallahassee has an atmosphere that wouldn't be an embarrassment if transported to San Fran or NYC (or even Raleigh). Examples of "looks" we should have:

Modern chic: http://www.mythsf.com/Gallery/Pop-up_6_Reservations.jpg

(and don't say Andrews 228 accomplishes this - it's a joke)

Understated refinement: http://www.mccradysrestaurant.com/01/galle...ing/imgs/03.jpg

http://www.cyrusrestaurant.com/dining_gallery.jpg

Old-world formal: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/travel...at-Woodands.jpg

Back in the 80s, we were a lot better off in this regard with such settings as The Golden Pheasant, Andrew's Second Act, Jacques' Upper Crust, and even Angelo's downtown. Seems a huge regression since then.

Anyway, I don't think that refining our haute cuisine options has to necessarily mean turning away from improving the down-home aspect as well. Both could stand a lot of improvement, and one doesn't have to be sacrificed to achieve another (example: Charleston, SC).

Frankly, I think a lot of it has to do with the preferences of individuals who choose to live in Tallahassee. By definition, those who have chosen to move here or stay here have decided that in their personal utility function, going out to eat gourmet meals at places at the culinary forefront just isn't as important to them as the other aspects that make the area attractive. So you have basically a self-selection thing going on where people by their very nature don't care to spend money on outstanding restaurants, as opposed to not having the financial ability to do so (take a drive up Thomasville Road and notice all the subdivisions with huge multi-million dollar McMansions if you don't believe me). Otherwise, they wouldn't be here. So how do you create something out of nothing? That's why we have such inertia. The same can be said for performing arts. You don't move to Tallahassee if one of your priorities is attending world-class symphonies or seeing world-renowned performers. And because you don't care, it's difficult to attract an audience for such things. In the past year, Tallahassee attracted a total of perhaps two or three classical music artists that could be considered at the top of their game.

So how do you change things here? You create an attractive force in Tallahassee so great that people who inherently value very highly great dining and performing arts move here anyway even though they have to give up a performing arts or dining scene. If Tallahassee has an X factor wherein people see the benefit of X > performing arts (Y) + dining scene (Z), for example, people will move here. Then, you have individuals here with a craving for Y and Z, and you can bring Y and Z to town and have it be readily supported. That's why building a relevent economy is the vehicle for change. Example: Raleigh/Durham has RTP, which attracted a lot of top professionals from NYC and California. Raleigh/Durham now has two restaurants in its metro. area ranked in the top 50 in the nation by Gourmet Magazine. Over the past year, we saw performing artists/groups with names like Gil Shaham, Cleveland Orchestra, Susan Graham, Wynton Marsalis, Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra...and on and on. You don't normally find such a dining and arts scene in metro. areas with Raleigh's population, but it's all about the preferences of those who live there, not merely numbers. Bottom line: build Tallahassee's economy in smart ways, and the rest will follow, as you're creating a market for those "complementary inputs," so to speak.

Alright, I'm done with my epicurean, symphonic, and behavioral economics rant.

FYI... Tallahassee was the first Buckhead Brewery location to close. They had about a half-dozen more in the Atlanta area that stayed open for a while longer. They changed the menu up there, and even tweaked the beer recipes. I was dissappointed. As apparently were many others, as all the Buckhead Brewery locations are now closed.

I really can't believe that a town the size of Tallahassee... a college town no less... doesn't have at least one microbrewery. I would even be satisfied with a "Hops" chained restaurant. Go to New England or the Rockies and every little town has a local microbrew. Perhaps Southerners don't have a sophisticated pallette for something other than Bud. Then again, Homebrew Den is doing well... perhaps people are getting their fill at home?

Back to the new place... it seems that there's only been one or two people working in there at any given time. Do-It-Yourself job, perhaps? I sure hope they have a good handshake agreement with Devoe. Otherwise I can't imagine paying a lease on that place for all these years with no income. That's got to hurt.

I think a country restaurant would do the building a disservice. It really has the feel of an Aspen Lodge. Perhaps a "Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse" or something.

Money won't come to Tally because of restaurants.

It takes strategy that brings all parties together to give the best incentive to get big $$$ companies (per employee...not necessarily big companies).

Something Tally stinks at or more likely, just doesn't believe it. Tally has always been content with low paying state jobs and that is what we have.

Archived