What will take over the CompUSA building?

fsubelch

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CompUSA closed about 100+ locations and Tallahassee made the list. I have not had a chance to stop in there, but they had a great sale going on about 3 weeks ago. I am not even sure if they are still open, I never did read a closing date. May be worth our while to head down there and see what kind of deals they have left, if there are any.

I don't think that CompUSA is closing. I spoke to one of the employees last week, that has been there for years and he said that Circuit City on the Parkway was closing down and I should go there this week for some good deals. As for CompUSA, he stated that they were in the process of knocking down part of the wall on one side of the building to add "Home entertainment rooms" to showcase new HDTV's and surround sound systems because they have been selling those items like hotcakes so needed more room for stock.

CompUSA is a GREAT store to locate hard-to-find hardware and software items for Computers and such. They carry allot of items that BB and CC and other electronics chains don't. I go there for most of my supplies since I am in the computer business.

As someone who is a regular in this store, since REX and Sound Image both closed, this is the only place on this side of town to buy home electronics (other than Radio Shack). Heck, I'd kill for Best Buy to open up a second location in town near me.

This is news to me! I had no idea CompUSA was cutting back, and certainally not the Tallahassee location. This store seems to do very well here.

Sorry to hear about Circut City, I had no idea they weren't doing that well... but in some way I saw this coming after Best Buy opened a few years ago. I'm surprised the Rex on the parkway hasn't closed. Who still shops there?!

• 7 months later...

The great computer crash of CompUSA

Once a PC industry star, CompUSA failed to adapt to change.

By MARK ALBRIGHT, On Retail

Published December 19, 2007

Created in 1984 as a one-stop shopping center for software, the chain exploded in the 1990s into what promoters touted as the Home Depot of the PC age. Unfortunately, its leaders didn't pick up the part about selling hardware to do-it-yourselfers also requires ladling out lots of free advice and customer service with knowledgeable, accessible clerks. It was part of a series of missed opportunities that gave away CompUSA's early lead to flashier and nimbler consumer electronics chains like Best Buy and retailers that cater to small business like Office Depot.9

Miami-based TigerDirect, another one-time mail-order-only seller, is among the prospects to take over the empty CompUSA stores.

Source: St. Pete Times Online

• 3 weeks later...

Local CompUSA selling all inventory, fixtures

DEMOCRAT STAFF REPORT

The CompUSA store on North Monroe Street continues a store wide sale of all products and fixtures, though the corporation's new owner has not indicated officially that the Tallahassee location is one of the more than 100 sites scheduled for closing.

The sale includes all fixtures, furniture and store equipment.

The corporation announced in December that Gordon Brothers Group LLC had bought the business from majority owner Grupo Carso, SA, whose principal is Mexican financier Carlos Slim Helu. Gordon Brothers began an immediate restructuring of the business, including the sale of select stores in key markets, Gordon Brothers said.

CompUSA closed more than half its stores in the spring of 2007, which generated a cash infusion for the business of $440 million. Gordon Brothers kept the Tallahassee location and other remaining stores open during the holiday shopping season, but did not indicate its plans for them in the new year.

Source: TDO.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

What are they selling the fixtures for?! Just in case the new owner decides to shut them down. Seems a decision has already been made from where I stand :angry: ....sit :D .

Liquidation Sale Marks CompUSA's Closing

The paper reveals what we've been discussing here for quite some time and gives some information on opportunities to get a good deal on some consumer electronics, indicating that currently customers are saving as much as 30% on some items and that future reductions are very likely.

Source: TDO.com

Archived