PSC Metals scrap yard

it's just dave

Does anyone have a clue on when PSC metals will be relocated, if ever?  I don't hear anyone ever talk about this anymore and that is really discouraging.

This has to be at the top of my wishlist of things to happen in Nashville. You would think before the city spends another dollar that this would be the top priority, yet year after year we still have to look at the same scrap yard at our front door.

I would have rather had this taken care of before any convention center, or anything else for that matter.

Edited by mirydi

Does anyone have a clue on when PSC metals will be relocated, if ever?  I don't hear anyone ever talk about this anymore and that is really discouraging.

This has to be at the top of my wishlist of things to happen in Nashville. You would think before the city spends another dollar that this would be the top priority, yet year after year we still have to look at the same scrap yard at our front door.

I would have rather had this taken care of before any convention center, or anything else for that matter.

Really? You would rather have the city take care of a scrap yard than concentrate on the one project that has ignited a lot of what's going on downtown?

Really? You would rather have the city take care of a scrap yard than concentrate on the one project that has ignited a lot of what's going on downtown?

Yep! Absolutely! I would give up the MCC and the "awesome" Omni hotel in a heartbeat to get rid of PSC metals. All the development that's going on would have came sooner or later. Besides what else has gone on other than the Omni and a few low-rise hotel proposals that the MCC has "ignited"? I just wish Dean would have done something with PSC first that's all. PSC metals is not just a scrap yard. It's a MASSIVE pile of crap that everyone see's on a daily basis and wonders, "what the f*#$ is that doing there"?! It's a huge black eye on the city and it needs to be taken care of now not 10-15 years down the road.

Yep! Absolutely! I would give up the MCC and the "awesome" Omni hotel in a heartbeat to get rid of PSC metals. All the development that's going on would have came sooner or later. Besides what else has gone on other than the Omni and a few low-rise hotel proposals that the MCC has "ignited"? I just wish Dean would have done something with PSC first that's all. PSC metals is not just a scrap yard. It's a MASSIVE pile of crap that everyone see's on a daily basis and wonders, "what the f*#$ is that doing there"?! It's a huge black eye on the city and it needs to be taken care of now not 10-15 years down the road.

That doesn't add up to me.  To you the MCC + Omni + the potential to have 3 or 4 other hotels which will soon be built (hundreds of hotel related jobs, hundreds of construction jobs, millions of tourist dollars pouring into the economy, etc) is less important than cleaning up a scrap yard that would more than likely become an empty grass lot or surface lot that WOULDN'T create hundreds of jobs and boost the economy.

You like to post articles about how Nashville is adding job growth and is a "now" city.  Do you think the cleaning of a junk yard would contribute to that like the MCC and what it has brought with it has?

That doesn't add up to me

It doesn't have to. It's just an opinion and it is mine.

To you the MCC + Omni + the potential to have 3 or 4 other hotels which will soon be built (hundreds of hotel related jobs, hundreds of construction jobs, millions of tourist dollars pouring into the economy, etc) is less important than cleaning up a scrap yard that would more than likely become an empty grass lot or surface lot that WOULDN'T create hundreds of jobs and boost the economy.

Well first of all, I posted in this section to spur some discussion about PSC metals, not to talk about MCC. It seems instead of responding to my post about PSC you skipped over all that and fixated on my last opinionated sentence. Look, I'm a champion of the MCC, that's a givin. All i was saying was that i wish PSC metals was focused on FIRST. Thats it, and that is just my opionion!  It doesn't have to be the right decison, It's just something i wish would have happened. I wasn't implying that I wish it never happened or anything, and i certainly wasn't trying discuss which one would have more of an impact on the city. I think your reading waaaay too much into that sentence... :stop: Hey guess what? I wish that Dean would focus on getting PSC metals relocated before he spends the rest of his term on BRT. Do you wanna drill me on that one too?

You like to post articles about how Nashville is adding job growth and is a "now" city. Do you think the cleaning of a junk yard would contribute to that like the MCC and what it has brought with it has?

Actually the term was "it" city, but I won't be that petty... :whistling:  No, probably not. But seeing how the land that PSC metals sits is probably the most valuable land in all of middle Tn, I highly doubt it would just sit as a grass field for eternity like you implied. Even if it did, that would be a vast improvement now wouldn't it? What I'm getting at is it is a VERY important to me and a whole lot of other people that live here as well.

Edited by mirydi

Two things going against you here. One - cost. The cost benefit analysis of cleaning up the PSC site by the city doesn't make sense. It would likely cost $100M plus. Second, PSC is privately owned. Even if you ran an eminent domain case against them, that would cost even more to take over.

It's a dream, yeah, but I'd take the MCC any day over the City managing PSC. It will happen in it's own time, and it's own way.

• 4 years later...
The 'old' Plan of Nashville proposal for the East Bank.      
Butterfly gardens!!!!........:tw_heart:        
^^^ Sarcasm...

37395357805_8b937e457a_c.jpg&key=b5ec9ee1ecf4a73a781339bfccf79eaab3d153841d041f3bacaafe0a787a05f7

It was a thoughtful document for the time. In hindsight it couldn’t have predicted Nashville’s ascent and because of that it seems so small in its thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Article in the NBJ states PSC bought the land they were leasing on the E bank.

Guess they are not going anywhere. This sucks.

This is from the NBJ article:

““We believe that PSC Metals is uniquely positioned to transform the neighborhood, creating more downtown jobs and increased tax revenues for the citizens of Nashville, and that is why they were chosen to be the buyers of our holdings on the east bank in Nashville," Adam Liff, a member of the landlord group, said in a statement emailed to the Nashville Business Journal.”

Transform the neighborhood!?!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Article in the NBJ states PSC bought the land they were leasing on the E bank.

Guess they are not going anywhere. This sucks.

Let me guess, sale finalized on Friday the 13th? Unless we are about to be surprised by Mayor Barry, this would seem to be the biggest setback for development in the history of Nashville

Edited by LA_TN
Spelling error
  • Like 1

I am not optimistic. They have been fighting to keep their hold on the junkyard for how long now.

On the other hand,  Metro was calling this project Phoenix. The Phoenix rose from the ashes, so this could be metaphorical in terms of what may happen. Maybe they nkw have Ichan on board to make a major investment other than junk on the East Bank.

• Like 3

I was just talking to William about this and the only thing that could make since in the short term would be a Harbor Town type of development like in Memphis.

We already have multiple multi acre developments on the boards for the core and to throw another 40 plus acre project in there would be crazy. We are not growing that fast. Austin and Charlotte are still growing faster than us but we have had multiple projects announced. The types of projects that have been announced you would expect to see in cities like Chicago, River North, Nashville Yards to name two. Lets not even talk about the Ewing project on W Trinity.

A Harbor town type project would probably work better than all the high-rises planned in various parts of downtown. My guess would be parks, midrise apartment buildings, some free standing homes, along with townhomes, retail and similar ancillary developments. A marina would be nice and could offer some help with flooding.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thenorthchannel said:

Count me as encouraged by this news.   Icahn is a sharp guy and I have to imagine someone brought to his attention the deep pocketed investments made by institutional investors  in spots like Capitol View, River North, and most notably Seth Klarman's Baupost Group in 5th and Broadway.    

I would guess Icahn has little to no idea this is even happening. This company is a small part of his wealth.

• Like 2

Trying to find information about Carl Ichan and development he has done and the fact is he nor any of the companies I have seen so far have done any land development. He has been involved in Real Estate in Florida.

I am just concerned this will continue to be indutrial.

If anyone has anymore insight into the billionaire and his holdings, please post it. I didnt lok that hard.