PSC Metals scrap yard

it's just dave

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

To the question of who would want the land and have to pay the clean up... Well that question was addressed in the NBJ article when looking at Oracle as they are paying for that site to be cleaned up and infrastructure put in to the tune of 175 million.

Oracle agreed to spend as much as $175 million up-front on infrastructure, ranging from roads and environmental cleanup to public recreation space and a pedestrian bridge over the river, linking with Germantown.

Unfortunately I think the cleanup costs alone here would be much more than the $175MM at Oracle, which was for Roads + Cleanup + Rec Space + Pedestrian Bridge... Meaning I don't expect another buying to do the same deal as Oracle, unless Google or Tesla want to build a master campus here. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

It's been a few years, but last I checked there are big tax breaks for brownfields cleanup, and the eligibility requirements are pretty low.  Basically, if Icahn owns the land and a business occupies it and his company determines there are toxic materials or oil contaminants, then Icahn can expense almost the full amount of the cleanup costs from the business' taxes in that year.  Not sure how that arrangment works with another company leasing the property for the same type of business but the credit goes to the owner.  I'm not an environmental attorney, but I recall that there was some effort a few years ago to tighten up those elig requirements. Just spitballing here, but it's quite possible that Icahn will apply for the tax credit in the last quarter that SA is operating at that site.  So this could speed up the timeline for development. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mayor Cooper responds back to Carl Icahn statement in NBJ today:

"We appreciate the desire to pressure the city into a deal," said Cooper spokeswoman Andrea Fanta, "but Mayor Cooper was elected in part to stop bad deals for the taxpayers of Nashville. The nature of the previous proposal was not sufficiently beneficial to the public. We are always open to discuss new ideas and formulations that would benefit both parties, but the mayor’s first focus was — and remains — on what's best for the city."

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/11/05/cooper-psc-icahn-scrapyard.html

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I think the East Bank Study will also play a big role in what Icahn, Brookfield and Metro does. While technically the PSC site is not in the study, stakeholders within the public meetings have been operating that what is laid out will continue through the PSC site including the central spine. Metro will ultimately have to play a little ball with the property owner, but only to the extent of getting infrastructure and new roadways built. I still believe the cost of remediation and development should solely rest with Icahn and his partners. This includes not giving any tax breaks to the development team. There are brownfield credits within many green development programs and possibly TDEC and the Federal Govt has tax credits for clean up, but Metro has suffered through the existence long enough where they should not be bent over a barrel by this guy. 

I know this isn't a majority view, but I actually applaud the way Mayor Cooper has handled himself with some of the deals that were poorly negotiated by his predecessors. The oompa loompa has done very well for himself, even if some folks believe he has burned some political power, he has done it in the interest of the city.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

This is inline with my “ entertainment district “ theme. In light of the recent news of the fate of the Polk building and TPAC , this area is indeed ready to be developed into what @Bos2Nash has mentioned. Baseball / multiuse stadium, performing arts center , combined with a large Ferris Wheel ( like The London Eye) , a polar coaster, shops , restaurants..etc. all interconnected with green space, walking and bike trails with excellent lighting for security at night plus the WOW factor!

Plus the previous mentioned, streetcar, gondola, or monorail to connect to Downtown, Midtown & Westend

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MidTenn1 said:

This would be awesome (if it's still there) if towed down from Philadelphia and anchored to the East Bank near the (soon to be) former PSC Metals site. It would have a museum, boutique hotel, restaurants, concert venue on deck and a landing pad for Marine 1. It would be a 'let's drive to Nashville and see that' moment. The locks on the Cumberland are wide enough to scrape it through (by 5 feet).

746560620_USSNASHVILLE.thumb.jpg.f195d1f9f763717e602426b6504edb7e.jpg

.That is a great idea! It would be such a honor to have . And it should be here in its namesake city. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MidTenn1 said:

This would be awesome (if it's still there) if towed down from Philadelphia and anchored to the East Bank near the (soon to be) former PSC Metals site. It would have a museum, boutique hotel, restaurants, concert venue on deck and a landing pad for Marine 1. It would be a 'let's drive to Nashville and see that' moment. The locks on the Cumberland are wide enough to scrape it through (by 5 feet).

As much as I love this idea, I seriously doubt something of this size could make it through many of the tight turns of the Cumberland River, nor fit under many of the bridges.

• Like 3