PSC Metals scrap yard

it's just dave

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

As much as I love this idea, I seriously doubt something of this size could make it through many of the tight turns of the Cumberland River, nor fit under many of the bridges.

Just as a comparison, the Opryland showboat General Jackson is about 300 feet in length. 

In thinking of whether the USS Nashville could make it here via the Cumberland, I wonder if the River is deep enough to float such a ship? I know it’s not very deep in some places…plenty deep for barge traffic, of course.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

(Vin Diesel is a down-and-out river pilot looking for his chance at redemption after sinking the General Jackson. Michelle Rodriguez is a hard-partying bachelorette taken captive by East German riverboat pirates. They have the nuclear codes and they're holed up in Fort Donelson! It's The Lockmaster, coming this summer.)

That just might be the greatest thing I have ever read on this website.  :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...

Mayor Cooper is proposing that the new Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC) and a new high school for the arts could move to the PSC site.

Last year, Icahn agreed to sell the PSC Metals business but retained ownership of the land near Nissan Stadium.

That transaction is a “good development” for Nashville, Cooper said, as Icahn is now “more of a real estate investor” as it pertains to the site. Cooper said he plans to meet with Icahn and his son, Brett Icahn.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mayor-pitches-tpac-move-to-east-bank/article_e7350f5e-f195-11ec-9cb7-1b0618a1632a.html

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/06/23/cooper-addresses-economic-club-of-nashville.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

56 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

So rather than utilize Sports Authority (ala Metro) owned land to help with TPAC/Arts High School, we would buy the land from Icahn to then pay to remediate and then build on?

There has GOT to be some deep pocketed developer in the background that is willing to integrate these two elements into a larger development in order to secure additional building height (think Civic Use in the Bonus Height program) that is willing to take this on. For the city to buy the old School for the Blind and then turn around and buy the PSC Metals site (or a portion of the site) would be financially silly.

I agree that it is an ideal location, but Metro should NOT be spending any public money on that site. TPAC is also a TENNESSEE establishment and while it is located in the heart of Nashville and would greatly contribute to Nashville's cultural scene, if you are representing the State, the State should be stepping up to the plate.

You took the words out of my mouth. Why would Cooper be the one to suggest T-PAC go there and not the state. He has to have a news announcement to make him look good as mayor. Wait till the cost analysis comes out on that one, or its a master plan to get the state to clean it up and I think they are smarter than that. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

You took the words out of my mouth. Why would Cooper be the one to suggest T-PAC go there and not the state. He has to have a news announcement to make him look good as mayor. Wait till the cost analysis comes out on that one, or its a master plan to get the state to clean it up and I think they are smarter than that. 

I was willing to give copper the benefit of the doubt initially. But man is he a disappointment and certainly the opposite of a visionary.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...