How does this exist in this day and age

Charlotte_native

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this guy doesn't even know his facts or the laws/rules, which has been discussed and verified in a thread on UP itself, that no book is required for the swearing in process, so in theory one is allowed to swear on a collection of Dilbert cartoons to take their oath of office.

Here is the AFA's contact info:

American Family Association

P.O. Drawer 2440

Tupelo, MS 38803

Phone:1-662 844-5036

Fax: 1-662-842-7798

I heard a lot about this controversy, but nobody really talked about it here. I'm sure there were some neo-con gripers who were bitter because their candidate only got 25% of the vote, but really.. who cares?

The American people DO NOT decide what book a congressman takes his oath on. I am glad that Keith Ellison took it on a book that he is faithful to rather than being forced to do it on the Bible, which he may not be as faithful to.

yes that is one frightening diatribe. Taking an oath of office with one's hand on the Koran is "undermining American civilization"??????

Folks, sometimes you hear of something that just takes the cake. This is one of those times! sheesh-where do these people come from?

To answer your question on "How does this exist in this day and age"? It's because we no longer educate our people on what it means to be an American, why we have a constitution, or even why there is a United States. Ironically the people reading the Koran in other countries most likely know these things better than the members of the American Family Association.

Right, and that's the irony of this - they share virtually every ideal of organizations like the KKK, in particular lambasting Jews for a variety of things which is particularly relevant here - in the article CN links to, Wildmon temporarily suspends his strong aversion to Jews (which can be seen by aforementioned quick skim of the site) to quote one who is against the use of the Koran for the oath of office.

Doesn't bother me really. Usually bond is issued based on many factors, one of which being the person's reliability to appear in court. The man claimed to be go to church and read the Bible---the judge simply tested the validity of his claim, i.e. testing his credibility. The judge was probably trying to prove the man a liar. Right call in my opinion.

Same if I walked into a courtroom and claimed to help out with the Boy Scouts or donating time for social services----the judge would be in her scope of duties to question the validity of my claims and then make her judgement based on my honesty or dishonesty.

Let me edit my post to address the first issued raised in regard to that website. There are very sick people in this world. They are more numerous than you might think. Just listen to Michael Savage if you want to hear some real hate.....

To me, it matters more that they swear their oath on something that they believe in rather than just the usual bible, be that the Qu'ran, the Bible, or a copy of 1984, for all I care. The point of an oath is to make a promise to the post you're taking and the people you're serving, lest you betray those people AND that which you swore your oath on. If taking your oath on a compilation of Peanuts comics is what puts you in that mindset, then let 'em swear on that!

To me, it matters more that they swear their oath on something that they believe in rather than just the usual bible, be that the Qu'ran, the Bible, or a copy of 1984, for all I care. The point of an oath is to make a promise to the post you're taking and the people you're serving, lest you betray those people AND that which you swore your oath on. If taking your oath on a compilation of Peanuts comics is what puts you in that mindset, then let 'em swear on that!

You should have seen the Republicans try to play into peoples' fears that Keith Ellison is a Muslim in order to get Republican votes in other districts (particularly district 6, where the crazy nutjob Christian fundie Michele Bachmann comes from.)

No, it wasn't just "Keith Ellison" running, it was "Keith Hakim Ellison" who has outstanding parking tickets and once supported Louis Farrakhan... it's so ridiculous how the double standards flow when it comes to elections.

Keith Ellison is the first Muslim elected to congress and he has the position to work with Arab nations as a fellow Muslim in ways that our Texas cowboy "yee haw" boot up yer ass president really couldn't.

Considering how many neo-con Christians live in this country, and the general ignorance they all have... it doesn't surprise me we get groups like the AFA spouting off at the mouth like this.

Basically to these groups, the only way to live is theirs. A completely bigoted, fascist Christian state one nation under the Bible, divided us vs. them.

The five born again Christian years of my life were the worst of my life.

Archived