The Mall at Green Hills

Richard Lawson

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot is said about regional draw, and admittedly, it's very important. But you cannot discount the spending ability of shoppers in one, five and ten mile radii of the stores. The demographics have to be right for frequent shopping by locals. That's Retail 101.

'

And that's a good point as well. But on your point, that demo is there already. Heck, it's been there for almost ten years now in Green Hills and south-southwest of there! It just needs to be tapped. Does anyone remember, Neiman has wanted in this market for about ten years now. The first time, local opposition from some neighbors shot the idea down at TMAGH. Now that new wing is anchored by a Macy's and not the Neiman Marcus they wanted to anchor it with.

'

And that's a good point as well. But on your point, that demo is there already. Heck, it's been there for almost ten years now in Green Hills and south-southwest of there! It just needs to be tapped. Does anyone remember, Neiman has wanted in this market for about ten years now. The first time, local opposition from some neighbors shot the idea down at TMAGH. Now that new wing is anchored by a Macy's and not the Neiman Marcus they wanted to anchor it with.

Another example of local opposition to retail is back when CBL & Associates was looking to build Cool Springs, they first approached the City of Brentwood and asked to have the land annexed into Brentwood for municipal services. However, the City of Brentwood was opposed because they didn't want a bunch of "outsiders" coming into their city (It's location south of Moore Lane isn't exactly going to have an impact). They were willing to give up the huge tax base which most cities would die to have. As a result, CBL approached the City of Franklin which gladly annexed the land and the rest is history.

Flash forward to the late 1990's and Nordstrom had on their website that they were going to build a store just north of Moore Lane near the Sleep Inn and DSW Shoes. Again, the City of Brentwood was opposed because of the congestion and in this case the project died.

Bottom line: the reason the Nashville area doesn't have a high end department store is because of local opposition which springs from an elitist attitude of certain locals. I am a Nordstom card holder and frequent my Atlanta store (Perimeter Mall) and would much prefer to see a Nordstrom any day over a Belk. However, I try to be objective and a Belk like the one at Parkway Place in Huntsville is a huge improvement over the present offerings at the Dillards and Macy's at TMAGH. In fact it is embarrasing that Nashville which is a lot bigger city with greater wealth doesn't have as good a department store with high end names as the Belk at Parkway Place. As I said in an earlier post, this store carries $1000 Hickey Freeman suits, Lacoste, XMI ties ($110) in addition to Hart Shaftner and Marx, etc. In the ladies department , Juicy Couture and Lilly Pulitzer are offfered.

It is hard to understand why the locals would not shop in a store which carrried these high end labels or would drive or fly out of town to purchase the exact same merchandise just because the letters B-E-L-K are on the outside of the building. It isn't logical, but turning down the Cool Springs Mall and a Nordstom in Brentwood aren't either.

Bottom line: the reason the Nashville area doesn't have a high end department store is because of local opposition which springs from an elitist attitude of certain locals.

This is just wrong. Some Brentwood residents did not want a store in their backyards, and truly the location they were proposing did not make a lot of sense. Notice that Nordstrom did not pursue the matter any further, and has not seeked out another Middle Tn location to this point. I will say again, if Nordstrom thought the Middle TN market would provide an adequate ROI, they would be here now. That could change any time, but they most certainly aren't here due to an "elitist" attitude.

:dontknow:

Okay, something about this doesn't make sense. Was the public opposition to the expansion or the choice of anchor? I'm guessing it was to the physical expansion, but then you're saying that the Macy's wing went up anyway. Please clarify.

It is hard to understand why the locals would not shop in a store which carrried these high end labels or would drive or fly out of town to purchase the exact same merchandise just because the letters B-E-L-K are on the outside of the building. It isn't logical, but turning down the Cool Springs Mall and a Nordstom in Brentwood aren't either.
That doesn't make sense to me either, especially since a lot of Belk stores sell upmarket brands along with the typical merchandise. For years, the only department store in Charlotte and Raleigh to find a lot of the brands you see at NM and Saks was Belk. The first Louis Vuitton boutique in Charlotte was on Belk's main floor at SouthPark. Belk SouthPark was moving so many St. John Knits that St. John opened their own boutique next door.

:dontknow:

Okay, something about this doesn't make sense. Was the public opposition to the expansion or the choice of anchor? I'm guessing it was to the physical expansion, but then you're saying that the Macy's wing went up anyway. Please clarify.

It makes sense quite easily. The opposition was to the store. The locals feared the store would cause too much traffic and in turn cause their property values to drop, etc., etc. This was a while back and my memopry of it is quite vague beyond this.

They did hold some opposition to the expansion for the same reasons. But note, the expansion happened, but it was years later. I can see where you are TRYING to go with this and that's not it. The economics were there ten years ago just like they are there right now. When's the last time you have been to Green Hills.?

It makes sense quite easily. The opposition was to the store. The locals feared the store would cause too much traffic and in turn cause their property values to drop, etc., etc. This was a while back and my memopry of it is quite vague beyond this.

They did hold some opposition to the expansion for the same reasons. But note, the expansion happened, but it was years later. I can see where you are TRYING to go with this and that's not it. The economics were there ten years ago just like they are there right now. When's the last time you have been to Green Hills.?

I'm not trying to "go" anywhere with this. I hope y'all get a nice anchor at this mall.

So the local residents at Green Hills (a mall that I've heard great things about but have never had the pleasure to visit) opposed locating a Neiman Marcus there, but did not fight Hecht's when they came. Interesting.

I bolded that part for emphasis. I have no idea how you came up with that. Your memory must be failing you Lexy. If NM or Nordstrom wanted to be in Green Hills they would be there. These are billion dollar corporations like any other. If the mall announced them as a tenant there is very little, if anything residents could do.

I bolded that part for emphasis. I have no idea how you came up with that. Your memory must be failing you Lexy. If NM or Nordstrom wanted to be in Green Hills they would be there. These are billion dollar corporations like any other. If the mall announced them as a tenant there is very little, if anything residents could do.

Well, I don't think they were ever "announced". It was a proposal that was floated around in the papers. And no, the residents in that part of town carry alot, ALOT of clout downtown with city leaders. Local opposition to something there would get city halls attention quickly. So that shoots down the billion dollar company theory. Remember the proposed Nordstroms in Franklin from a couple years ago? That was locals that shot that idea down and eventually led to the demise of that shopping center proposal.

But to counter your idea about residents, they are the taxpayers and they would be directly affected by an development in that area of town. They have plenty they could do about it. That happens all the time in cities. There's plenty of stuff that has been shot down or changed due to community input in this very city.

The bottom-line is that no one wants another middle-of-the-road retailer fot The Mall at Green Hills. Belk says they'll build a flagship but no one here believes them. We've not exactly been impressed with anything they've done around the area. Not sure that I have heard anyone in Atlanta or Birmingham sing the praises of their Belk Flagship stores either.

By the way - has anyone seen what they did to Parisian in Cool Springs? It feels very cheap - and their new "home store(s) which are two seperate mall stores outside of Sears on either side. See? this is why Nashville has a bad take on Belk. They've come in and set up a tacky shopping environment here.

Send in the SAKS.

Well, I don't think they were ever "announced". It was a proposal that was floated around in the papers. And no, the residents in that part of town carry alot, ALOT of clout downtown with city leaders. Local opposition to something there would get city halls attention quickly. So that shoots down the billion dollar company theory. Remember the proposed Nordstroms in Franklin from a couple years ago? That was locals that shot that idea down and eventually led to the demise of that shopping center proposal.

But to counter your idea about residents, they are the taxpayers and they would be directly affected by an development in that area of town. They have plenty they could do about it. That happens all the time in cities. There's plenty of stuff that has been shot down or changed due to community input in this very city.

The proposed Nordstroms was actually in south Brentwood, and residents fought rezoning twice there for separate proposals. The first was Nordstroms, the second was another Maryland Farms style office park. Each would have required significant investment by the city in new roads. For the second proposal a referendum was held and the city went 52-48 against(I voted for it fwiw).

In Green Hills I don't think locals shot down a rumor before it was announced. Green Hills residents are the type of people who would love a Nordstroms, not rally against an expansion in favor of a Macys. I think economics and perhaps disinterest on the part of Nordstroms is more to blame than anything. The point I trying to make again is that residents wouldn't rally against a Nordstroms expansion and then say ok to a Macys. If Nordstroms had pushed the idea past a rumor they would be here.

• 1 month later...

Good find again. I am glad others watch the building permits now. Its hard to keep track of it all sometimes. I would hope this is the precursor to a major tenant announcement instead of just an expansion of the garage.

This seems logical to me. I wonder when the announcement will take place and who it will be?

Bottom line: the reason the Nashville area doesn't have a high end department store is because of local opposition which springs from an elitist attitude of certain locals. I am a Nordstom card holder and frequent my Atlanta store (Perimeter Mall) and would much prefer to see a Nordstrom any day over a Belk. However, I try to be objective and a Belk like the one at Parkway Place in Huntsville is a huge improvement over the present offerings at the Dillards and Macy's at TMAGH. In fact it is embarrasing that Nashville which is a lot bigger city with greater wealth doesn't have as good a department store with high end names as the Belk at Parkway Place. As I said in an earlier post, this store carries $1000 Hickey Freeman suits, Lacoste, XMI ties ($110) in addition to Hart Shaftner and Marx, etc. In the ladies department , Juicy Couture and Lilly Pulitzer are offfered.

Exactly. Belk's just like any other store--they carry what sells. If the market/store can support designer brands at full price, the store will carry them. Otherwise, the brand will be pulled from the store or never carried there in the first place. Any former Parisian store is going to carry higher-end merchandise as opposed to a regular Belk store--it was just the nature of the Parisian brand. It's definitely interesting to read about all the retail development in Nashville. Until today, I wasn't aware of all of the lifestyle centers under development.

The Mall spending $12 million on any addition is news. If the Tennessean (or some media outlet) doesn't carry a story on it in the next few days, it will be because the Mall is asking them to hold off.

The Tennessean does a story on the past weeks building permits every Monday. There should be a mention then.

Word is out on the $12 million building permit being issued. The Tennessean, Nashville Post and WSMV all have short stories on it.

I wonder why Davis Street hasn't issued some kind of press release. Surely they had to know there would be stories once the building permit was issued.

It's being reported on another website that work will begin this spring on a 400K sq.ft. expansion that will include two new anchors, Neimans and Saks Fifth Avenue. Additionally, there will be a new extension of the mall with space for 12 more stores. These are rumored to be American Girl, Armani Exchange, and others. If true, pretty awesome news!

It's being reported on another website that work will begin this spring on a 400K sq.ft. expansion that will include two new anchors, Neimans and Saks Fifth Avenue. Additionally, there will be a new extension of the mall with space for 12 more stores. These are rumored to be American Girl, Armani Exchange, and others. If true, pretty awesome news!

Where is it being reproted??? I hope I'm wrong, but I'm doubtful that we'd get both of these stores. If both Neimans and Saks were coming they'd go into an entirely new developement. I'd prefer a Nordstrom or a Belk flagship ( which I think will come to TMAGH).

Let's hope Insighter's rumor pans out. Our market deserves better than a gussied-up Belk. It only takes a casual glance at Belk's website much less strolling though one to see that they are not in the same tier of department stores as Neiman or Saks (but maybe an Off 5th!). I love our boutiques but it's appalling that we don't have one great department store yet.

I'm also excited about a rumored Armani Exchange as I believe Green Hills's options for men are sadly limited. I'm crossing my fingers for a Club Monaco, Puma and Urban Outfitters too. We're in dire need of more variety in our shopping.

Archived