Does Tallahassee have room for 1 more Publix?

fsubelch

I am soon to be moving to the West side of town, Crescent Hills Dr off of Capital Circle and Tharpe...I would love to see a Publix out that way somewhere. I am not a fan of the Ocala St. Publix, I seem to have the worst luck there. Does Tallahassee need one more Publix, and do you think there are enough people out that way for a Publix?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard an off-the-cuff comment that Publix is looking into the old convenience store sight on Meridian. It is about 1/2 mile north of I-10, across from where Lexington and John Hancock end.

Seems like there could be permitting issues here, as it is a low-lying piece of land, with wetlands to the north.

I kinda doubt this will come to fruition, but since this is near me, I would love it. Anything so that I do not have to go into the ^%$#^&! Killearn Publix.

I heard an off-the-cuff comment that Publix is looking into the old convenience store sight on Meridian. It is about 1/2 mile north of I-10, across from where Lexington and John Hancock end.

Seems like there could be permitting issues here, as it is a low-lying piece of land, with wetlands to the north.

I kinda doubt this will come to fruition, but since this is near me, I would love it. Anything so that I do not have to go into the ^%$#^&! Killearn Publix.

I like your taste in Colors DD5. Although, I love Blue... pretty much all shades, except when it's the Gators of course! :lol:

A Publix on Gaines is no better than a Neighborhood Market in my opinion. Neither would be locally owned.

As far as the Meridian Site, that's a good location for something, I'm not sure a grocery store is a good fit. Seems it could be reused as a Gas Station, wasn't it a Citgo at one point? There may be some possible site contamination issues.

I like your taste in Colors DD5. Although, I love Blue... pretty much all shades, except when it's the Gators of course! :lol:

A Publix on Gaines is no better than a Neighborhood Market in my opinion. Neither would be locally owned.

As far as the Meridian Site, that's a good location for something, I'm not sure a grocery store is a good fit. Seems it could be reused as a Gas Station, wasn't it a Citgo at one point? There may be some possible site contamination issues.

FWIW-- I believe the reason so many Publix's pop up in close proximity to each other is that the leaser puts a clause in the contract saying that if over some $ amount profit is made, a percentage starts going to the leaser. To avoid this, Publix opens a new store to compete with their other stores, effectively "spreading the wealth" between stores. They wind up making more money this way.

I'm not sure Publix is signing profit-sharing leases with these centers, although I could be wrong.

It would seem to me Publix would be in the land development business if this was the case. That way the corporation could collect rents and profit percentages from its lesees.

• 1 month later...

Ya know if I had to guess... this would probably now Tallahassee's oldest Publix if not among the oldest. We now have 11 in the city and I'm sure its right there in the top 3 as far as old goes. The only true comp is probably the Killearn store... Oh, and perhaps the Lake Jackson store... almost forgot about that one.

The Center at Ocala and Tennessee hasn't been filled either so don't fret. I think its quite normal to have a few vacant spaces left. They are still relatively young centers. The Southwood Publix shopping center on the other hand is basically booked solid! Looks like they've got it going on over there! I'm lovin' it.

Archived