Triad Photo of the Day

krazeeboi

Not trying to get off topic but most downtown ground level activity are there because of a strong buisness districts and high rise living communities. To me that comes out of a well balanced development of towers and low rise towers that have plenty of things to do for the working, shopping, etc. crowd (9am-6p) then the evening to late night crowds, resturants, theaters, shows, etc. (7p-whenever).

From my perspective, it's just the opposite. For several cities I know, the hotspots tend to be in the lowrise parts of town. There are no high rise living communities in downtown Charleston and office space there is very limited due to the stringent height restrictions, and it arguably has more around-the-clock downtown activity than any other city in the Carolinas. The same can be said for other cities where a lot of the post-business hours activity is away from the high-rise clusters (e.g., SouthEnd and NoDa in Charlotte; the Vista and Five Points in Columbia; the West End and Main Street in Greenville; Five Points in Atlanta, etc.). As a matter of fact, for DC, downtown doesn't have much activity at all beyond regular working hours; most of it can be found in areas like Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, etc.--which aren't business districts and really are just regular neighborhoods. If anything, towers/office buildings tend to be built in an anti-urban fashion (think the First Citizens building on Elm Street) and do very little to attract pedestrians aside from business purposes. Low-rises are pretty much forced to consider the pedestrian above all else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had found this site some time ago and found it fascinating, but didn't actually sign up until now. I've been in Greensboro for going on two years and plan on staying here after I graduate in May. My girlfriend lives in Winston-Salem, so I've gotten lots of opportunity to take pictures of both cities.

2394787245_5238cba899_b.jpg

2395619458_054c6d36f1_b.jpg

2395618180_657d8c7d28_b.jpg

2394783327_c3e726a4fb_b.jpg

2395612272_55a6702f5d_b.jpg

No don't say that. More like Dallas-Ft. Worth...the Metroplex. Yes the way the Triad is shaping up with all of the web of highways and two cities so close together that have close ties it is very similar.

With the 840 loop opening slowly but surely and the completetion of the I40/I85 link-up, it's getting crazy out here. I'm amazed at how many apartment complexes they built on the latest stretch of loop...great picture, by the way. It really captures the spirit of that stretch of highway between I40/B40 split and Wendover.

Dreamspec, welcome to the forum. We look forward to your posts. I apprecite your attitude about you and your girlfriend staying in the Triad! I hope other local graduates will follow your lead and stay here too. I believe this area has lots to offer people of all age groups. Though we have lagged a bit behind Raleigh and Charlotte in growth, I think this area has a bright future.

I made a career move to Greensboro from Wilmington. I planned to stay here for a couple of years....That was 20 years ago! :thumbsup:

Edited by luvdowntowngso

Thanks for the kind welcome! :) I'm orginally from Chapel Hill/Durham area and got here via Graham, but I do like the Triad. It's got a good city feel to it without being overwhelming and it's an easy drive to pretty much anywhere in any direction. I'm definitely going to be keeping tabs on the forum!