Triad Photo of the Day

krazeeboi

• 2 weeks later...

After the Christmas tree lighting last Saturday, I went to the top of the BB&T building to try and get some night shots of the skyline. Unfortunately, the Piedmont Club was holding one or two events there that night and I was limited to a view out towards the west. This is one of my first attempts at stitching photos together using the PhotoStitch software from Canon:

2083214122_980a4d7cf6_b.jpg

Thanks! Yes, I took the photo of Martha (she used to teach my kids choir). I take pictures of West End regularly throughout the year to use for either future brochures or on the website, or just 'cause it's the neighborhood where I live. Some of the pictures ended up in a picture book I did on the neighborhood by Arcadia Publishing: "Images of America: Winston-Salem's Historic West End". Sad thing is, that book was black and white photography, and some nice color shots I had to let go. I posted this shot and some others not in the book at a photo exhibit in Fall 2005 at the Visitors Center. I've always thought that wisteria on the house was stunning in bloom - I got Martha to play dress-up for this picture in a c. 1900 costume from the Little Theater. I think I made this picture with a 5.0 MP Kodak digital camera I borrowed for the shoot that day, though I often use a trusty Minolta XG-7 from the '70s and a bunch of then over-priced but now nice-to-have lenses.

• 1 month later...

I was amazed at the photo from 1990 with the construction of the now Wachovia tower, and Jefferson Pilot building. It would be nice to see GSO in a developement growth. I just feel that GSO's downtown is walking a then line between an urban setting and sprawl. I am glad to see Roy Carol doing what he is doing. I wish there were like 4 Roy Carol's.

I just feel that GSO's downtown is walking a then line between an urban setting and sprawl.

I hope you don't feel that way because downtown doesn't have as many highrises as you would like. Some of the most urban downtowns in the nation have very little to no highrises (e.g., Charleston), while some cities have areas with clusters of towers that are nowhere near urban (e.g., Tyson's Corner in Northern VA, Cumberland in Atlanta). When it comes to urbanity, it's what's going on at the ground level that truly counts.

I hope you don't feel that way because downtown doesn't have as many highrises as you would like. Some of the most urban downtowns in the nation have very little to no highrises (e.g., Charleston), while some cities have areas with clusters of towers that are nowhere near urban (e.g., Tyson's Corner in Northern VA, Cumberland in Atlanta). When it comes to urbanity, it's what's going on at the ground level that truly counts.

Not trying to get off topic but most downtown ground level activity are there because of a strong buisness districts and high rise living communities. To me that comes out of a well balanced development of towers and low rise towers that have plenty of things to do for the working, shopping, etc. crowd (9am-6p) then the evening to late night crowds, resturants, theaters, shows, etc. (7p-whenever).