Hotel King

richyb83

HOTEL KING will have it's interior gutted next month. Plans are for downtown's first "boutique" hotel at 7-stories with about 90 rooms.

Eventhough several chains are interested, the King plans to be independent. The idea of a rooftop atrium was discarded because it didn't meet standards for historical bldgs.(not sure exactly why?)

They are not worried about the thousands of new hotels rooms planned around BR.

The Hotel King should compliment the Hilton Capitol Center across the street.

BRCVB said could use about 600 more rooms downtown to help make the city more attractive to large conventions.

*Located on Lafayette Street & Convention Street (across the street from newly renovated Hilton Capitol Center)

http://www.businessreport.com/newsDetail.cfm?aid=11381

This was an older pic taken last year;this sign should read "Opening(end of) 2008"

downtown078pr8pq7.jpg

Shot taken from Hilton; Hotel King(left); Shaw Center for the Arts(middle); Old State Capitol(right)

*compliments of Byrde

92358135mww9.jpg

Taken from the roof-top terrace of Shaw Center for the Arts; "lil bro" Hotel King(right);"big brother" Hilton Capitol Center(left)

feb07032rh2.jpg

I hope this project works out!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Rendering of the Hotel King from the front window. According to the Advocate's North Blvd. Town Square article renovations had already started. However when this pic was taken a few weeks ago it did not look like anything was happening. Maybe when the crews on Kress at Third is complete Cyntreniks & Mr. Godfrey can begin??

The 93-room Hotel King is supposed to be an independent-chain boutique hotel.

feb08025cw9.jpg

I was recently downtown and saw the rendering in the window. I was excited about the rooftop atruim, but I read the other posts in this thread and they have scrapped the idea? Thats just stupid, the glass atruim is what made the building interesting. And as for it compromising its historical context, I say ignore it. People only need to look at the building to know its historical, not a plaque on the side. They should reevaulate their desicion, lol

You are very right buckett! I was disapointed they scrapped the idea too! This would have literally topped-it off! It would have been a nice compliment with the Shaw Center roof-top terraces(6th & 4th floors) across the street. Maybe they could reconsider! I need to make some calls. This historic crap limits the potential of this building.

That rendering still shows the atrium :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see the historic proprties come to life once again! It seems that the original lofty goals may have encountered some " $ticker-$hock " :o The Kress at Third was supposed to added on to going anywhere 8 to 10 stories. However the additions to third floor section will make it a complete 4-stories all-around only.

With or without its roof terrrace, I am glad to see that the renovation of the Hotel King is moving forward. I do think a roof terrace is a good idea, but perhaps it can be redesigned to meet the standards required? Perhaps a slight setback would make the addition less prominent.

The Hilton is white....blinding. I'd like to see a tint similar to City Plaza or The Shereton....but then again, the Chase tower is that tan color and it kind of any eyesore IMO. Not sure how a red tint would look on that building.

Maybe white isn't such a bad idea. Maybe an off-white that doesn't look so bright. We don't need all of our buildings to look like a wedding cake. I wish the Brick looked like the ones on the building across the street (where PJ's is).

The Hilton is white....blinding. I'd like to see a tint similar to City Plaza or The Shereton....but then again, the Chase tower is that tan color and it kind of any eyesore IMO. Not sure how a red tint would look on that building.

Maybe white isn't such a bad idea. Maybe an off-white that doesn't look so bright. We don't need all of our buildings to look like a wedding cake. I wish the Brick looked like the ones on the building across the street (where PJ's is).

they should paint it like that holiday inn on canal st. in new orleans....it's like a tan color with red and blue trimmings....white wouldn't be bad...but i think jus all white makes it look plain n simple.....it needs a trim what ever it is

they should paint it like that holiday inn on canal st. in new orleans....it's like a tan color with red and blue trimmings....white wouldn't be bad...but i think jus all white makes it look plain n simple.....it needs a trim what ever it is

Yea, I would agree with you. While i like the white, they could dress it up a bit with some sort of trim color or something.

A light cream/ yellow color or lighter tan would be a nice offset. Somewhere between the tierd 3 & 4th floor or the tier just under the 7th (top) floor. It would really help the old building come-to-life and stand-out more instead that all blinding-bland white.

The color of the Sleep Inn at Airline & I-12 may also be another example.

Bear in mind that the building has historic status and there are most likely restrictions involved which would prevent an aggressive color scheme from being used. I'm all for creativity, but the colors selected should complement the building and reflect the surroundings as well. I think the building was originally not painted at all. Restoring the original brick may not be feasible because of the condition of the brick. In any event, I wouldn't like to see this handsome building cheapened with inappropriate color. Color could well be introduced to the building in the form of canvas awnings. If you want to see an atrocious example of color on an historic building, take a look at the original portion of Bally's Park Place in Atlantic City. The oldest part of the former Dennis Hotel section has been painted in a riotous rainbow of color, none of which enhances the original building in any way. The design of the King, while not groundbreaking or unique, has a certain quiet dignity which should be maintained.

• 1 month later...

^I hear you Tom, nothing too dramatic; just don't keep the entire building the blinding white it is now.

Good news here!

King Hotel renovation to begin downtown

Cyntreniks Group will begin the renovation downtown of the King Hotel later this spring and plans to have it finished 14 months after the start date.

Brace Godfrey, who owns Cyntreniks with John Schneider, said that while there has been some environmental work on the site, construction will begin in

• 2 months later...

Bryde, any guesses from you as to what chain might go to the Hotel King?? If Renaissance plans to go to Bluebonnet; could they go downtown too??

Hotel King work to begin this month

The hotel will carry a brand affiliation, something considered crucial for generating booked room nights through a reservation system.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/24232949.html

Bryde, any guesses from you as to what chain might go to the Hotel King?? If Renaissance plans to go to Bluebonnet; could they go downtown too??

Hotel King work to begin this month

The hotel will carry a brand affiliation, something considered crucial for generating booked room nights through a reservation system.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/24232949.html

My initial thought when I saw the story about them aligning with a chain was it would be one of the Marriott properties, but BR is well represented with that chain. After giving it some thought, I think the Wyndham Hotel chain would be a good fit. They have a chain called the Wyndham Historic Hotel. They have one down in New Orleans in the former Whitney Bank building on Poydras.

hero.jpg

Wyndham came to mind with me too. It will be interesting to see!

Has BR been that underserved in the number of hotel rooms??? I mean the new hotels are going up everywhere! How many do we need before the market is oversaturated?? Definetly downtown had been underserved; it was hard to believe for years in the late 80's and early 90's downtown basically had no rooms; if you don't count those RiverPlams.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

WOW! A Hotel Indigo!!! Impressive list of cities... BR could really be moving on up! Exterior change, new paint?? Hopefully they will take care of the blinding white paint! Boutique hotel should be a nice compliment to the Hilton next door!!

Hotel King will fly Hotel Indigo flag

Hotel King will carry the Hotel Indigo brand name, says Brace Godfrey of hotel owner Cyntreniks. Hotel Indigo is an upscale boutique brand comparable to W Hotels. The nearest Hotel Indigo listed on the company's Web site is in Houston. At this morning's Downtown Development District commission meeting, Godfrey said the branding will require some exterior changes to the building, including new paint. John Schneider of Cyntreniks has said demolition will start later this month, in anticipation of the 93-room hotel opening in November 2010.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

I almost stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Houston a few weeks ago but opted for a Courtyard because it had a pool. The reviews for the Indigo were good, if i remember correctly. Guests said multiple times that it was very colorful inside. It'll be nice to see this building painted.

Archived