Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartan

First Citizens plans 9-story downtown building

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Bank tower to reshape skyline</span>

First Citizens plans 9-story downtown building

By C. GRANT JACKSON and BEN WERNER

Staff Writers - The State

Sun, Apr. 25, 2004

72544755914.gif

With the paint barely dry on the first addition to Columbia

Any other renderings available other than what you posted? Don't really see how the building will have Gervais Street access (as it states in article).

Many thanks.

There are other renderings, but I haven't been able to get them. I have only seen them no the local news.

I think that there is a driveway that connects to Gervais somewhere.

No updates yet. I haven't been to Columbia since May, so they probably have started some demolition. I go back to Columbia next month, so I'll give an update as soon as I know anything.

Duda Paine has a very impressive portfolio. I thought this was planned as a 30 storey tower? This is a very nice design and a nice addition to Columbia's skyline.

nope, it was never a 30 storey tower. They specifically decided to build low to not detract from the State House. That was their reasoning. Mine is that you have the SouthTrust building, which is the tallest buliding in the state, right accross the road, so why not bulid another right down the road?

Welcome to the forums emergind.me!

I kinda like ST (or is that Wachovia now?)... I'm not sure why though. But more importantly, I wish Columbia had something taller to offer than that. Oh well :)

Good news. Indeed it is not very complementary when a 9 story building can reshape a city's skyline, but that can be said for many cities, including my own.

Actually there might be some street level retail. the City of Columbia really wants to revaitalize Main St as a place to go and eat and hang out. I know for a fact that the proprty the FC bought included an old diner, which is to be incorpertated into the new building. So I see no reason why they wouldnt include some more retail in that process.

In the original article in The State, it says that the bank owns some retail property across Lady Street from the new building location and there may be some changes there. Anyone have any info on that?

How about Town Theatre's move to the old Republic Bank building or Nickelodeon into the old Fox Theater?

A 9 storey building can have an impact. We have a 7 storey building under construction here in Asheville. It's already topped out and it looks big. I know I should keep that to myself and tell everyone how short it is, but it is making an impact on the skyline and different street views. It looks good and I'm excited about future 7 or 8 storey condo towers going up. I would love to have a new 9 storey office tower go up in Asheville. Office towers are taller than condo towers. Counting the equipment floor, this building in Columbia is actually 10 stories. That's a nice addition to any skyline in the Carolinas. :P

All I have heard about the theatre's moving is that they want to do it. It seems like the Nickelodeon Theatre is more likely to move though.

I have no info on that building accross the street, but I would assume that retail space will be made out of it.

This building won't dramatically change the skyline, but it will raise it somewhat. The Maeridian buliding was a dramatic change. This building will just be a filler.

I was in Asheville the otherday, and the building that is going up looked massive. However, it is one of those buildings that will make more of an impace on the street level than a far off skyline shot.... and that is what the FC building will do in Columbia. What used to be there was just a regular bank with a drive-through window and all that like any bank you would find in the suburbs. This new building will look really nice, and add alot to pedestrian Main St.

I happened to be in the area today, and I saw them finish tearing down the last of the small bank that was there. All they have to do is clean up the lot, then the digging can begin!

I don't see the FC tower really having an impact on the skyline per se, but I do see more of a density/infill impact that it will have.

Yeah...It zero impact as far as height (from alot of angles the NSBC building hides it), when they finally complete it and move those cranes...But it does do a good job on the infill and creating more density

Yeah...It zero impact as far as height (from alot of angles the NSBC building hides it), when they finally complete it and move those cranes...But it does do a good job on the infill and creating more density

It especially gives a lot more density from the Greystone Boulevard overpass. Not only the building itself but the design of the building adds some nice texture.

Very cool. That building looks great! Its awsome that they can make the renderings so accurate. I still wish it had some shops facing Main though :)