First Citizens plans 9-story downtown building

Spartan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What architectural style are they utilizing for the bank tower? Are there any hints of art deco at all? It seems like it, and it gives the building a nice classic look. I think a building like this could be built in DT Chas.

Yeah... there's definitely some deco in there. It's kind of classic and modern at the same time. It really plays well off of Meridian.

^It does. And also when viewing form Huger St. I tried to get some pictures of it while in Columbia last week, but taking pics of anything while driving is an extremely dangeous task. I don't have anything constructive to show for my efforts unfortunately.

• 2 years later...

This is an old article, but it looks like the First Citizens building has won an architectural award, which is pretty easy to see. But why it won an award for the little plaza next to it beats me. I think the little pocket parks/plazas built next to office buildings in downtowns don't function as the best open spaces.

It's readily accessible from Lady Street, which is the street the building faces. This is another space where when the trees are mature and the palmettos have filled out, it is going to be very nice. I predict a fountain there within a year or so. The quite fountain next to the Columbia Museum of art wasn't installed until a while after Boyd Plaza was built, I don't think.

^ And something that will generate activity directly on the street, something that will put people on the ground level there to look out, rather than just entering the tower to go up higher. Banks are ok, not ideal, but acceptable. Restaurants are awesome, particularly when there is outdoor seating.

Archived