Certification Maintenance for AICP

Professional planners in the United States are not required to have a certification to practice, but the American Planning Association does offer the American Institute of Certified Planners certification. (AICP). Until two weeks ago those who had the AICP certification took a one time test and they were set for life. (as long as they pay their annual dues)

Now we are required to earn 32 credit hours every two year. This may not sound like a big deal, however the credits can only be earned by taking APA sponsored lectures, classes, or sessions, most of which will only be held at the APA National Conference and some State chapter Conferences or programs. Depending on things, it might be less expensive to retake the test every two years.

While I think that it should be required, I think that they need to make sure that there is more state involvement and program availably since planning legislation is and not the national level. Additionally, many people can not afford to go to the National Conference every two years.

If you are a professional planner, what are your thoughts on the Certification Maintenance program for the AICP?

Here is more info on the details.

http://www.planning.org/certification/maintenance.htm

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Professional planners in the United States are not required to have a certification to practice, but the American Planning Association does offer the American Institute of Certified Planners certification. (AICP). Until two weeks ago those who had the AICP certification took a one time test and they were set for life. (as long as they pay their annual dues)

Now we are required to earn 32 credit hours every two year. This may not sound like a big deal, however the credits can only be earned by taking APA sponsored lectures, classes, or sessions, most of which will only be held at the APA National Conference and some State chapter Conferences or programs. Depending on things, it might be less expensive to retake the test every two years.

While I think that it should be required, I think that they need to make sure that there is more state involvement and program availably since planning legislation is and not the national level. Additionally, many people can not afford to go to the National Conference every two years.

If you are a professional planner, what are your thoughts on the Certification Maintenance program for the AICP?

Here is more info on the details.

http://www.planning.org/certification/maintenance.htm

I think it will help keep the best planners up to date with the latest and greatest. Some old school planners tend to get "stuck" in a way of doing things that just doesn't cut it anymore. I say this, of course, while not having my AICP yet. Perhaps when I am required to maintain it, I will feel differently.

Archived