Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

A look at Charlotte worldwide, while I am in Greece, alot of the Greeks only recognize Charlotte once I say "Hornets" because for some reason they remember our old team....not the bobcats though.....but in Mykonos, Greece which has a lot of American tourists, I encountered several people from Philly, NYC, and Chicago and all of them knew where Charlotte was without me having to put the "NC" on the end......that goes to show that there are more people than we think that know about CLT....

Yeah I think they remeber the hornets; we had some good teams with the hornets especially alonzo, mugsy, LJ, etc. So I would think that they were popular worldwide with that lineup because lots of countries besides the USA enjoy basketball not so much american football but they do b-ball. I think in 5 yrs or so and hopefully with a little luck the Bobcats really start putting on some good shows maybe sign or draft another star with what we have and I think that people will know us as Charlotte Bobcats instead of Charlotte Hornets.

A little bit off subject, but anywho....I find it kind of dumb, and also Greeks find it weird when I tell them about how the Hornets left CLT and we have a new team now.....because such a situation would NEVER happen in Europe. Not with soccer and not with basketball either......its too bad that the almighty dollar does make it apparent that that is what it comes down to in the states....even if it is heartbreaking for team supporters.

The Observer has an article today about various Charlotte's rankings in different polls nationwide:

CITY FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS

Ranking: No. 7 on the top 10 cities.

FUN CITY

Ranking: 29th "Most Fun U.S. City" in a 2003 survey.

ADVENTUROUS CITY

Ranking: 9th of 50 most adventurous.

GRILLING

Ranking: No. 49 on top 100 cities to grill in.

RICH BACHELORS

Ranking: For finding single, wealthy men, we ranked No. 7 among the nation's cities with more than 500,000 people.

WALKING CITY

Ranking: No. 4, Best Walking Cities.

SIZZLING RESTAURANTS

Ranking: Among "Top 50 Cities that Sizzle" (no ranking).

SAFETY

Ranking: Eighth most dangerous large city in America in 2006.

BAD DRIVERS

Ranking: 93rd out of 100 cities. It got an "F" rating.

YOUNG SINGLES

Ranking: Failed to rank as a top metro areas for young singles. (Raleigh ranked No. 4.)

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't rank as a top metro area for singles. When I first moved here back in the spring, I was amazed at the plethora of singles in this area. I've had a few friends come down to visit from other areas and they are quite amazed at the female talent down here. With Raleigh being ranked number 4, it just seems like these numbers are all relative.

As far as bad drivers go, yea I agree with that one... It's horrible... I guess it's the influx of northerns that have come down here. :lol:

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't rank as a top metro area for singles. When I first moved here back in the spring, I was amazed at the plethora of singles in this area. I've had a few friends come down to visit from other areas and they are quite amazed at the female talent down here. With Raleigh being ranked number 4, it just seems like these numbers are all relative.

As far as bad drivers go, yea I agree with that one... It's horrible... I guess it's the influx of northerns that have come down here. :lol:

Those studies are always skewed one way or another. Cities that are obvious hotspots aren't even listed. Whenever MSN has one of their lists of "Top _____ Cities," Raleigh-Durham will be listed every time but Charlotte doesn't make the list when I would think, myself being biased of course, that Charlotte has just as much or more to offer than them. Same goes for other places around the country that don't make it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rock Hill made the NYT Sunday real estate section. The article talks about all the growth and changes occurring there, and Baxter Village gets some press.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/realestate/19nati.html

The realtor quoted in the article was definitely being honest about Fort Mill not being Venice Beach CA :lol: It's definitely an awesome place for young families but not the spot for a raging single life.

Charlotte is no longer listed on Yahoo's 20 Best Places for Singles List because they switched to the Census Bureau's "urbanized area" definition and we thus lack a large enough central population in our urban center. We didn't even make their Top 40 list either.

Edited by Raintree21

Charlotte has moved up to take the 25th largest television market in the nation according to Nielsen Media Research. This should increase the amount of exposure we get along with more national advertising. More information can be found on Charlotte.com.

Rank-City-Householdsmillions)

1 New York 7.3

2 Los Angeles 5.6

3 Chicago 3.4

4 Philadelphia 2.9

5 San Francisco 2.4

6 Boston 2.39

7 Atlanta 2.31

8 Washington 2.30

10 Houston 2.05

24 Baltimore 1.09

25 Charlotte 1.08

26 Indianapolis 1.07

27 San Diego 1.05

28 Raleigh 1.03

29 Hartford 1.007

Charlotte has moved up to take the 25th largest television market in the nation according to Nielsen Media Research. This should increase the amount of exposure we get along with more national advertising. More information can be found on Charlotte.com.

Rank-City-Householdsmillions)

1 New York 7.3

2 Los Angeles 5.6

3 Chicago 3.4

4 Philadelphia 2.9

5 San Francisco 2.4

6 Boston 2.39

7 Atlanta 2.31

8 Washington 2.30

10 Houston 2.05

24 Baltimore 1.09

25 Charlotte 1.08

26 Indianapolis 1.07

27 San Diego 1.05

28 Raleigh 1.03

29 Hartford 1.007

^^^Where's Number 9?

A2

Charlotte's television market is comprised of 22 counties from Chester, S.C., to the Virginia border. :blink:

These really aren't based on regional or political borders as much as based on where our *local* stations broadcast. When I was in Boone in school we mostly watched Greensboro or Charlotte local channels and news so by that barometer we were in the Charlotte TV market, not considered *in* Charlotte though or its traditional MSA region.

From an article on Charlotte.com:

CNBC plans to broadcast its "Power Lunch" business segment from here, probably on The Green uptown, on Oct. 5 during a national swing through 10 cities.

Travel & Leisure magazine readers have selected Ballantyne Resort as the best business hotel in Charlotte.