Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Charlotte's image is on the threshold of a dynamic and exciting liftoff as described in this story by Jason Thomas that appeared in today's (02/10/2016) Charlotte Agenda.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/36586/top-5-uptown-projects-changing-the-face-of-the-city/

What a beautiful and glalmorous city she's becoming!   

Charlotte Just 2 Years Away from the Quarter Millenium Mark.  Charlotte was incorporated in 1768, which means that the QC will be 250 years old in 2018.  Does anyone know whether Charlotte's civic officials, business community, arts community, sports community, LGBT community, and all the other stakeholders, have begun to plan a big birthday party for the QC's 250th Anniversary?  Can't wait til they pop the champagne! 

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

With today's vote in the NC General Assembly, I think the nation thinks we're state of morons. 

Here's a list of cities and counties that include gender identity in their non-discrimination ordinances (take special note of Utah and Idaho, two of the most conservative states in the country): 

Alaska
Anchorage, City of

Arizona
Phoenix, City of
Tempe, City of
Tucson, City of

Arkansas
Fayetteville, City of
Eureka Springs, City of

California
Los Angeles, City of
Oakland, City of
Palm Springs, City of
Sacramento, City of California
San Diego, City of
San Francisco, City of
Santa Cruz County
West Hollywood, City of

Colorado
Boulder, City of
Denver, City of

District of Columbia
Washington, City of

Florida
Atlantic Beach, City of
Alachua County
Broward County
Gainesville, City of
Gulfport, City of
Key West, City of
Lake Worth, City of
Leon County
Miami Beach, City of
Miami-Dade County
Monroe County
Palm Beach County
Pinellas County
Orlando, City of
Tampa, City of
Volusia County
West Palm Beach, City of

Georgia
Atlanta, City of

Idaho
Boise, City of
Coeur d’Alene, City of
Idaho Falls, City of
Ketchum, City of
Moscow, City of
Pocatello, City of
Sandpoint, City of
Victor, City of

Illinois
Aurora, City of
Carbondale, City of
Champaign, City of
Chicago, City of
Cook County
Decatur, City of
DeKalb, City of
Evanston, City of
Peoria, City of
Springfield, City of

Indiana
Bloomington, City of
Evansville, City of
Indianapolis, City of
Marion County
Monroe County
South Bend, City of

Iowa
Ames, City of
Cedar Rapids, City of
Council Bluffs, City of
Davenport, City of
Des Moines, City of
Iowa City
Johnson County
Sioux, City of
Waterloo, City of

Kansas
Lawrence, City of
Roeland Park, City of

Kentucky
Covington, City of
Danville, City of
Frankfort, City of
Jefferson County
Lexington, City of
Lexington-Fayette County
Louisville, City of
Morehead, City of
Vicco, City of

Louisiana
New Orleans, City of
Shreveport, City of

Maryland
Baltimore, City of
Baltimore County
College Park, City of
Howard County
Hyattsville, City of
Montgomery County

Massachusetts
Boston, City of
Cambridge, City of
Northampton, City of
Salem, City of
Worcester, City of

Michigan
Ann Arbor, City of
Detroit, City of
East Lansing, City of
Ferndale, City of
Grand Rapids, City of
Huntington Woods, City of
Kalamazoo, City of
Lansing, City of
Pleasant Ridge, City of
Saugatuck, City of
Sterling Heights, City of
Traverse, City of
Ypsilanti, City of

Minnesota
Minneapolis, City of
St. Paul, City of

Missouri
Columbia, City of
Clayton, City of
Kansas City
Kirkwood, City of
Olivette, City of
St. Louis County
St. Louis, City of
University City

Montana
Bozeman, City of
Butte-Silver Bow, City of
Helena, City of
Missoula, City of

Nebraska
Omaha, City of

New York
Albany, City of
Binghamton, City of
Buffalo, City of
Ithaca, City of
New York City
Rochester, City of
Suffolk County
Syracuse, City of
Tompkins County
Westchester County

North Carolina
Chapel Hill, City of

Ohio
Athens, City of
Bowling Green, City of
Cincinnati, City of
Cleveland, City of
Columbus, City of
Coshocton, City of
Dayton, City of
East Cleveland, City of
Newark, City of
Oxford, City of
Summit County
Toledo, City of
Yellow Springs, Village of

Oregon
Beaverton, City of
Bend, City of
Benton County
Corvallis, City of
Eugene, City of
Hillsboro, City of
Lake Oswego, City of
Lincoln City
Multnomah County
Portland, City of
Salem, City of

Pennsylvania
Abington Township
Allegheny County
Allentown, City of
Bethlehem, City of
Cheltenham Township
Doylestown, City of
East Norriton, City of
Easton, City of
Erie County
Harrisburg, City of
Hatboro, City of
Haverford Township
Jenkinstown Borough
Lansdowne Borough
Lower Marion Township
New Hope Borough
Newton Borough
Philadelphia, City of
Pittsburgh, City of
Pittston, City of
Scranton, City of
Reading, City of
Springfield Township
State College Borough
Susquehanna Township
Swarthmore, City of
Upper Merion Township
West Chester Borough
Whitemarsh Township
York, City of

Rhode Island
Providence, City of

South Carolina
Myrtle Beach, City of

Texas
Austin, City of
Dallas County
Dallas, City of
Fort Worth, City of
Plano, City of

Utah
Alta, City of
Grand County
Harrisville, City of
Logan, City of
Midvale, City of
Moab, City of
Murray City
Ogden, City of
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake County
Springdale, City of
Summit County
Taylorsville, City of
West Valley, City

Washington
Burien, City of
King County
Seattle, City of
Spokane, City of
Tacoma, City of

West Virginia
Charleston, City of
Huntington, City of

Wisconsin
Dane County
Madison, City of
Milwaukee, City of
Dane County
Madison, City of
Milwaukee, City of

Wyoming
Laramie, City of

• Like 3

^I see a long list of alternative cities for BofA to make their HQ. Their CEO already lives in one of them. Granted, that's a hard move. And more likely, it's the next new move here that's now to be reconsidered. So how many Sealed Airs will now pick a different city on that list? Sure, Charlotte's faucet of growth won't be turned off completely, but Raleigh's reaction has definitely tightened it to the right.

Edited by southslider

It's particularly reckless given that Tenn and other states recently killed similar legislation over fears of losing Title 9 education funding ($B's). It'll be interesting to watch the dance over federal overreach from these same people. I think there needs to be a new cover soon of Neal Young's Alabama - call it Carolina...

Not very surprising in the least.  After looking at that list Miesian posted, this is very disheartening.  What exactly are our legislators going to do about Chapel Hill's ordinance?  Do they not care about the helpless kids and women of Chapel Hill?  IF there is a positive in all this, it serves to create a real dichotomy between Charlotte and North Carolina.  Hopefully people view Charlotte as a little more progressive and just forget that we're located in this state (seems to be the case most of the time anyway).

I think the sad reality is, most people don't care once it leaves the news cycle. I think a lot of you are really over estimating how much these companies truly care. 

Once it leaves the news cycle things will unfortunately return to the status quo. What's hilarious about this all is Charlotte's ordinance wouldn't have made one ounce of difference and if the GA just shut up it would have went by with no one taking notice. But they made a big stink and got it everywhere. 

Call me cynical but Americans attention spans are that of a gold fish. This is barely making national news as it is, I really don't believe this will have a negative economic impact on the state or city.

i told this to a friend last night. Tryon place will still get tenants, 615 s college will still get tenants, babson will come here, people will still go to the outer banks, etc etc. 

i also want to be very clear. I'm REALLY against the states actions. It's a joke. It's a waste of my tax dollars. It's case in point why Asheville, CLT and Raleigh voters REALLY need to step up in November and overpower these po dunk repub areas of the state and vote these morons out. 

And yes, I know Disney has threatened to pull out of GA if they pass their measure. What will happen is GA will stand down and then smoke screen the measures in once the heat dies down. 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I would hope logic would prevail and companies wouldn't punish Charlotte (or Raleigh, Durham or Asheville) when we supported the ordinance. Heck, if anything, it would probably amuse lawmakers if we got backlash 

Some companies will complain for press, but honestly, a lot of companies act like they care about diversity more than they really do

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

^I mean most people have the luxury to forget about it because it doesn't directly affect their life and their own safety, it's sorta privelaged.

The gerrymandering in this state will prevent most of these reps/senators from being voted out, but hopefully this outright attack from the GA will mean the ousting of McCrory, and a wave of support for independent redistricting will come after November. Maybe by the NEXT election we can get the GA out of the hands of the "old families" and get on with the 21st century

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

"I also want to be very clear. I'm REALLY against the states actions. It's a joke. It's a waste of my tax dollars. It's case in point why Asheville, CLT and Raleigh voters REALLY need to step up in November and overpower these po dunk repub areas of the state and vote these morons out. 

Preach it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abttown said:

Not very surprising in the least.  After looking at that list Miesian posted, this is very disheartening.  What exactly are our legislators going to do about Chapel Hill's ordinance?  Do they not care about the helpless kids and women of Chapel Hill?  IF there is a positive in all this, it serves to create a real dichotomy between Charlotte and North Carolina.  Hopefully people view Charlotte as a little more progressive and just forget that we're located in this state (seems to be the case most of the time anyway).

Few people can say with certainty that Charlotte is in North Carolina.

Once, that was painful. Now I'm glad, do you hear me?!?! Glad!!! :D

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Some companies will complain for press, but honestly, a lot of companies act like they care about diversity more than they really do

You couldn't be more right. Once it leaves the news cycle (again mostly contained to regional news) companies will keep on keeping on here. 

We just need to band together as a state and do our best to vote these morons out. We have a real opportunity. 

What is transgendered? Someone dressed like a woman but has a penis?

So you are saying...myself, a man...can dress like woman then go to a woman’s public restroom and use a bathroom because I have a dress on? In Charlotte? In their highschools, middle schools? hmmmm

Nah...nobody would ever try that. Who am I kidding :)

Or am I wrong, and they are saying someone who had their penis chopped off can go to a woman's bathroom? If this is the case, I don't see the problem.

Pervs are going to perv. If some creepy ass dude wanted to dress up like a woman and go into a woman's bathroom he would regardless of a law. This ordinance was mostly symbolic (I think). What the GA fails to understand is this law would have done nothing substantial, nothing would change. But they got so butt hurt

• Like 1

Honestly, I can understand both sides of the argument, which is why I am neither democrat or republican

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Pervs are going to perv. If some creepy ass dude wanted to dress up like a woman and go into a woman's bathroom he would regardless of a law. This ordinance was mostly symbolic (I think). What the GA fails to understand is this law would have done nothing substantial, nothing would change. But they got so butt hurt

I don't accept the "republican" side, period. 

It's not valid at all. So people are opposed to it because men might use it as an  excuse  to stalk and rape women (unlikely) and people for it are concerned about transgendered getting assaulted (and raped too) using the men's bathroom. It's everyone's fault except the rapist.

meanwhile, rapist still gonna rape

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I don't accept the "republican" side, period. 

It's not valid at all. So people are opposed to it because men might use it as an  excuse  to stalk and rape women (unlikely) and people for it are concerned about transgendered getting assaulted (and raped too) using the men's bathroom. It's everyone's fault except the rapist.

meanwhile, rapist still gonna rape

I agree, this was purely vindictive, with no substance to it beyond pandering to the republican base. I think that transgendered people who can "pass" for their chosen gender will continue to do so, but should they be found out they can be jailed for it.

Ironically, those who choose to obey the law, in spite of their gender identity and appearance, will probably find themselves in threatening situations and confronted by law enforcement. Transgendered men who look 100% male forced to use the women's bathroom, and transgendered women who look 100% female forced to use the men's bathroom CLEARLY are going to ruffle more feathers than if we just let everyone go where they fit in best, and the supporters of this law are still not going to be happy. They do not care so much about the logicality of where transgendered people use the bathroom, they just don't want to have to acknowledge they exist

Of course this bathroom issue is very secondary to the fact that the GA overreacted and repealed ALL LGBT protections and local rights to create them. Despicable. 

• Like 2

The G.A.'s action is heartbreaking, and, unfortunately, it will definitely hurt Charlotte's reputation outside the Bible Belt.  I love Charlotte, but this is one of the sorriest and rank episodes in the history of the Tar Heel State. 

• Like 1

Not sure I agree with the discussion above about little national coverage and that it will just blow over. I think this one has legs

Edit: my fav new term for the NC GA -- the Ya'll Qaeda.

hopefully this is a watershed moment for progressivism in NC the same way as Angels in America was for Charlotte 20 years ago.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

Not sure I agree with the discussion above about little national coverage and that it will just blow over. I think this one has legs

That is awesome. Responses about let's talk to paypal etc... Sometimes you need pain for gain and I'm personally hoping this one causes some pain.