Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Here's hoping no one bases their impression of Charlotte on the "taste of Charlotte" event. No local beers that I could see just bud products. Mostly crappy chains hawking stuff. A couple local food stands but no way to know which one's. Who organizes this travesty?

Oh, and stop waking me up early on Saturdays with your event music. ;-)

Edited by elrodvt

2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Here's hoping no one bases their impression of Charlotte on the "taste of Charlotte" event. No local beers that I could see just bud products. Mostly crappy chains hawking stuff. A couple local food stands but no way to know which one's. Who organizes this travesty?

Maybe the vendors with the good stuff were smart and didn't want to die in the heat?

20 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I saw the list of eateries this year and was like, "WTH?"

Hooters? Dipping Dots? On the Border? Sticky Fingers?

this event used to at least be decent.

I honestly don't know how any local goes to this event.  It has been this way for several years now.  I can go to any chain restaurant and drink nasty nationwide beer anywhere.  I would prefer that this event be geared specifically to local restaurants and breweries.  What's to give here?

• Like 1

I honestly don't know how any local goes to this event.  It has been this way for several years now.  I can go to any chain restaurant and drink nasty nationwide beer anywhere.  I would prefer that this event be geared specifically to local restaurants and breweries.  What's to give here?

Good idea for a article [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's funny how things have changed.

Taste of Charlotte was the first event I attended in Charlotte since moving down here from NY back in 2010. I thought it was a pretty neat event and I got to really see the city for the first time. I went this past weekend for the first time since I've moved here, and it wasn't the same. Overly commercialized, with samples of processed foodstuff that I could easily get at a chain restaurant or grocery store.

5 hours ago, Dale said:

There are a couple of people's heads on here that might explode after reading this. On second thought, thanks for posting!

14 minutes ago, jednc said:

There are a couple of people's heads on here that might explode after reading this. On second thought, thanks for posting!

Before they tie themselves in knots, let us hasten to reassure them that Charlotte is more liberal than Monroe. :)

47 minutes ago, jednc said:

Yea my head actually might explode, I was SURE Charlotte would be #1 

52 minutes ago, Dale said:

Kidding aside, lots of hip cities appear on the list including Greenville.

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yea my head actually might explode, I was SURE Charlotte would be #1 

"Charleston, S.C. is known as "The Holy City", perhaps because churches are prominent on the low-rise cityscape, or because South Carolina was among the few original colonies to tolerate all Christian Protestant denominations (though not Roman Catholicism).  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston,_South_Carolina

Paradoxically, Charleston a/k/a "The Holy City" (and the Lowcountry port that Charlotte is frequently confused with) didn't make the list of "The Top 20 Most Churched Cities."

Churches in Charleston

160px-FrenchProtestantChurch.jpg
The French Protestant Huguenot Church (1844) 
127px-St._Matthews_Lutheran_%28Charlesto
113px-Cathedral_of_St._John_the_Baptist_
114px-Emanuel_African_Methodist_Episcopa
160px-First_Sanctuary.JPG
The German St. Johannes Lutheran Church 
160px-Another_view_IMG_4653.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, JRNYP2C said:

The deal is that TOC is a privately run event and they contract the beverages out to Adams, whose biggest clients are AB Inbev and SABMiller. The mega breweries pay to have their beer sold at this event. Any time there is a festival uptown missing local beer, this is why.  

As far as the food goes, the story I hear is that the cost and effort are worth it for most restaurants. there isn't a high conversion rate, and it's logistically challenging.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have done a ton of travelling and from what I can see NC cities do not need to lament what is lost or what they do not posses.  I happened to be in Tulsa a couple of weeks ago and I found the architecture quite good with a mix of art deco and modern. Why bring up Tulsa?  Because at first glance I thought "Wow, if I could take 2 of these buildings and place it smack dab in the middle of uptown".  Then I thought ok enough with the hyperbole, lets do some walking around on the streets.  Granted it was on a Sunday but my impression, Greensboro with taller buildings.  No disrespect but why do Charlotteans hand wring about of the lack of a "brick and mortar" uptown. 

xhV3u2.jpg

crm2Ns.jpg

You may wonder what this has to do with Charlotte and these are not even peer cities?  Tulsa has a great collection of early late 19th-ealry 20th century buildings, spurred by oil money, but the city itself had to deal with all the problems Charlotte dealt with in the mid 20th century.  Urban renewal and city to suburb migration took it toll and what remained was a downtown core devoid of organic urban atmosphere.  In Tulsa's case, in just so happened to have a stock of "tall brick buildings".

My point is that Charlotte does not need to look back and make apologies for buildings she no longer has.  Buildings don't make a city, people and their attitudes make the city.  IMO, Charlotte has an attitude unlike any in the SE.  Capitalize on it and make no apologies.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Niner National said:
On 8/7/2017 at 9:04 PM, Squid7085 said:

I have been watching some of the PGA Championship coverage today, man are they gushing over Charlotte. Lots of great B-Roll footage. Defiantly a great week and coverage for Charlotte.

Doesn't hurt that the lead tv personality for the event is from Charlotte.

I've been watching a little bit of the coverage everyday too.  Really good things being said about the city and the pristine course conditions.  Pretty interesting with the course changes and the difficulty of executing within such a short time frame.  I really hope with the forecast, that the weather doesn't determine if this event is a success or not (bc from what I see, besides the weather, everything couldn't be running more smoothly...even Bieber was in town lol).  I also think this is good timing with the first preseason game tonight; will be a good opportunity for visitors/PGA ppl to check out the city and possibly go to the game if they wanted.  *Will be cool to see 300ST for the first time in Panthers blue on tv.  Also, would be cool if they did the text down the side building saying "Go Panthers" or something too. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2017 at 9:04 PM, Squid7085 said:

I have been watching some of the PGA Championship coverage today, man are they gushing over Charlotte. Lots of great B-Roll footage. Defiantly a great week and coverage for Charlotte.

And it's continuing today. Wednesday is the day for a lot of the player interviews prior to the tournament starting tomorrow. Nothing but great things to say about Charlotte and the golf course from what I've been watching. Great to see and hear. I'm sure it will continue once network TV coverage kicks in Thursday too. Can't beat free press.

EDIT: I did see yesterday where they are expecting 50,000 spectators per day Thursday - Sunday (vs normal 30-35k for Wells Fargo tourney). Hotel bookings up over 50%

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1