Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

On 2/24/2018 at 2:29 PM, elrodvt said:

The quote was about millennial's. Perhaps you have seen the numbers on the precipitous decline in organized religion participation among that age group?  There are also a great number of people who would agree he was a cultural icon but not a force for good.  Not everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant.

I find your tagline humorously contradictory to the majority of your posts.

I'll assume this was directed at me (without any signal here it's hard to tell). What I was referring to was not in reference to someone else's comment about millennials so that makes the rest of your post off the mark as a reply to me. I'll still debate your other point anyway...

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to stats about millennials. They aren't very relevant in my life. I'm more concerned with post-millennials at this point. I have no idea what their church habits are. But, if you think that preachers in America are constantly mentioning Billy Graham from their pulpits, then that's a pretty good indicator that you're out of touch with what goes on in churches (the past week or so being perhaps an exception). So, even if I were to agree with your point that millennials don't go to church and that's why they aren't getting their weekly dose of Billy Graham news, that still doesn't change the fact that they would be ignorant to someone that HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of people worldwide respected and revered. You do understand that ignorant just means a lack of knowledge right? It's not an insult.

As for your last comment...I won't engage. You're not worth the time or effort in that regard.

Edit: Just to clarify...if there are any facts or opinions that you want to debate, that's great. I'm happy to explain my point of view. If you just want to argue or be snide, I'll pass by not responding to anything further.

Edited by jednc

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Here ya go:

To spare you the click bait, here is the quote and the retraction/apology

'ls AIDS a judgment of God?' he had said, 'l could not be sure, but I think so.' Later, Graham told the Cleveland Plain Dealer, 'l don't believe that and I don't know why I said it. I remember saying it, and I immediately regretted it and almost went back and clarified the statement. ' He said he believes 'that God stands in judgment of all sins, but AIDS is a disease that affects people and is not part of that judgment. To say that God has judged people with AIDS would be very wrong and cruel. I would like to say that I am very sorry for what I said."

Edited by Scribe

27 minutes ago, Scribe said:

To spare you the click bait, here is the quote and the retraction/apology

Thanks. I honestly don't remember this happening. I know I've said things I thought better of later. I'm glad he apologized. I wonder if there are other quotes besides this one? I hope that's it but don't want to just assume this is it. Want to hear back from Mesian...

26 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Sorry. I didn't see your response until after I posted the above.

I know something like this can be hurtful to some (many), but I can't fault a 93 year old conservative Christian for feeling that way about marriage. I do not agree with him, but I understand why he might feel the way he feels. I do feel that is VERY different than saying AIDS is a punishment from God though.

1 minute ago, jednc said:

Sorry. I didn't see your response until after I posted the above.

I know something like this can be hurtful to some (many), but I can't fault a 93 year old conservative Christian for feeling that way about marriage. I do not agree with him, but I understand why he might feel the way he feels. I do feel that is VERY different than saying AIDS is a punishment from God though.

I don't discount that he did good things during his life, or that many found a path that made their lives better because of him. But when you've been on the side that has endured persecution, seeing a man who worked to keep you and many of your friends as second class citizens glorified under the rotunda of the United States Capitol, it can sting just a bit. 

And for the sake of KHJ, I'll not mention it again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

I don't discount that he did good things during his life, or that many found a path that made their lives better because of him. But when you've been on the side that has endured persecution, seeing a man who worked to keep you and many of your friends as second class citizens glorified under the rotunda of the United States Capitol, it can sting just a bit. 

And for the sake of KHJ, I'll not mention it again. 

I do understand your point of view. I appreciate you bringing what he had said to my attention. I'm honestly surprised I didn't know about either one.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jednc said:

Thank you. I didn't see your post earlier.

I responded earlier about that link but wanted to acknowledge you taking the time to post it.

Your welcome. My apologies that it was slightly snooty,  I do appreciate your honest and open dialog here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/upshot/seattle-climbs-but-austin-sprawls-the-myth-of-the-return-to-cities.html?referer=https://amp-charlotteobserver-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article151972047.html?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQECAEYAQ%3D%3D

Charlotte among the top metros with the biggest increase in population density alongside: Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, DC, Boston, Philly, and Portland.

Metro areas that sprawled the most and become less dense: Austin, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, Dallas, Orlando, San Antonio, Las Vegas, etc.

Charlotte is an outlier among metro areas in the Sun Belt actually getting more dense, while the other Sun Belt metros are sprawling even further out. 

image.png.ad0c9a207701f4dc3258dafb293a6ea4.png

With only a couple of exceptions (Hartford, SLC, Dallas) the common thread appears to be rail transit. To be fair, this certainly isn't a proportional relationship (Seattle and Charlotte indicate that you don't need much rail to trigger density increases) but it does suggest that the presence of transit might be an important cue to developers (and potential migrants) about the future direction of the city.

[I omitted Houston from the LRT list on purpose, they have it, but very little of it relative to the massive size of the metro. Same judgement for Austin's sad single commuter rail line. I think Hartford is just a dead cat bounce]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

On the topic of density, do we think that Mecklenburg County can keep up with Wake county in population if we can continue to densify?

I doubt it. Doubling our density seems like a political impossibility and per previously quoted stats, there are only 56,000 housing units within 3 miles of uptown -- if you double that (which is impossible) you only get another 56,000 units. Wake adds about 34,000 per year with nearly unlimited room for more subdivisions.

Densification will require 1) heroic changes in the UDO; plus 2) a large group of developers willing to get good at infill; plus 3) Charlotte's intown owners realizing that increasing density is good for property values (which it is with the exception of the top end of the housing stock)

^^^I agree Wake will soon pass Mecklenburg and Meck will never catch up.  It is simply based on county size.  Here is a stat  to show how that is happening" Mecklenburg did around 4900 housing permits last year and Wake did 7200+.  Plenty of room in Wake County for future growth.   Charlotte metro will still be bigger of course and that won't change 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^^I agree Wake will soon pass Mecklenburg and Meck will never catch up.  It is simply based on county size.  Here is a stat  to show how that is happening" Mecklenburg did around 4900 housing permits last year and Wake did 7200+.  Plenty of room in Wake County for future growth.   Charlotte metro will still be bigger of course and that won't change 

Mecklenburg County:    524 sq. miles (land)        2016 Pop.  1,054,835       Density: 2,013/sq. mile (777 sq. km)        % growth from 2010-2016 = 14.7%

Wake County:                     835 sq. miles (land)       2016 Pop. 1,046,791        Density: 1,253/sq. mile (484/sq. km)       % growth from 2010-2016 = 16.2%

Mecklenburg County had 8,044 more residents than Wake County as of 07/01/2016.  However, Wake County's growth rate was 1.5%  higher than Mecklenburg County's for the period from 2010 to 2016. 

Note that Wake County is 311 sq. miles (37.25%)  larger geographically  than Mecklenburg County.

Links:

(1)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecklenburg_County,_North_Carolina  --  Mecklenburg County, NC

(2)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_County,_North_Carolina  --  Wake County, NC

(3) https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk  --  Census Bureau's American Fact Finder, Annual Estimates of Resident Population April, 2010 to July 1, 2016 (all 100 NC counties)

Edited by QCxpat
Add % differential geographically
  • Like 2