CarolinaDaydreamin

Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^^I agree Wake will soon pass Mecklenburg and Meck will never catch up.  It is simply based on county size.  Here is a stat  to show how that is happening" Mecklenburg did around 4900 housing permits last year and Wake did 7200+.  Plenty of room in Wake County for future growth.   Charlotte metro will still be bigger of course and that won't change 

Mecklenburg County:    524 sq. miles (land)        2016 Pop.  1,054,835       Density: 2,013/sq. mile (777 sq. km)        % growth from 2010-2016 = 14.7%

Wake County:                     835 sq. miles (land)       2016 Pop. 1,046,791        Density: 1,253/sq. mile (484/sq. km)       % growth from 2010-2016 = 16.2%

Mecklenburg County had 8,044 more residents than Wake County as of 07/01/2016.  However, Wake County's growth rate was 1.5%  higher than Mecklenburg County's for the period from 2010 to 2016. 

Note that Wake County is 311 sq. miles (37.25%)  larger geographically  than Mecklenburg County.

Links:

(1)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecklenburg_County,_North_Carolina  --  Mecklenburg County, NC

(2)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_County,_North_Carolina  --  Wake County, NC

(3) https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk  --  Census Bureau's American Fact Finder, Annual Estimates of Resident Population April, 2010 to July 1, 2016 (all 100 NC counties)

Edited by QCxpat
Add % differential geographically
  • Like 2

Wake is near 50% larger size than Mecklenburg. Going strictly by county is not the way to look at development/population/starts.

• Like 2

Does anyone here know predicted future Charlotte population statistics? Ex; 1 Million City Limits, 3 Million Metro? Etc.

On 3/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, KJHburg said:

Charlotte is cheap this home this tiny home shattered all records in highest price per square foot sale in Silicon Valley! https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/02/sunnyvale-home-shatters-new-record-with-enormous-price-tag/

and can we talk about Charlotte's perception nationwide instead of bashing a dead evangelist?  

The two are actually linked.  I'm in California.  A friend of mine who works in the tech industry here was offered a position in Charlotte.  He flew to Charlotte to look into the position and see the area.  The very first thing he saw when he left the airport was Billy Graham Parkway.  That the city of Charlotte would name one of its most important roads after an evangelist was a big red flag and a sign for him that perhaps Charlotte would not be a welcoming place to all people.  [That might have been on the minds of the Amazon execs as well.]  Beyond that, he also felt the city was lacking charm (consistent with the frequent criticism that it is "soulless" suburban sprawl with few vibrant or historic neighborhoods).  

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

emoji15.png
Man, your friend sounds just... great... naming a street after one of your most famous citizens, where his homestead is, how is that a red flag. If that’s how your friend acts, he’s a red flag. Sorry but that’s such an ignorant position to make, and I’m about as anti religion as it gets. Most of charlottes original historic neighborhoods are intact as well, it’s just hard to have massive amounts of history, when you werent even a blip on the national radar during those times. Your friend should take things with context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, my friend is great.  You don't know him, I do, so you don't need to insult him.  This certain famous citizen  of Charlotte, Billy Graham, said some things that were very hurtful to the Jewish and LGBT communities, not to mention comments that set women way back.  He fell far short of being a unifying figure.  Rather, he was one who would accept certain groups of people only if those people were to deny a fundamental part of who they are.   Now we have his son, Franklin, who is ten times worse, who runs Billy Graham's organization.   And people who do not follow them closely (which would be most people) do not differentiate.

I have no problem with a street being named after Graham, but I don't think it's a good idea when that street is the very first one a person sees when they arrive in Charlotte.  If they have to name such an important street after someone, why not someone like Hugh McColl, who is actually greatly responsible for making Charlotte what it is today -- someone who is not known for divisive statements?  You and many of the posters here are inside a bubble and probably immune to this by now, but the subject of this thread is "perception of Charlotte nationwide."  And I'm just giving you some honest perspective on that.  The perception of Charlotte is not the same as it is inside Charlotte.  Charlotte is stil a city inside the Bible Belt, a city that suffered many scars during the Civil Rights movement.   People remember that.  It wants to brand itself a "world class city," but when people from the outside see something like Billy Graham Parkway, they may think Bible Belt City. 

As for "most of Charlotte's historic neighborhoods" still being intact, that makes sense only in the context of every neighborhood reflecting some part of history.  But most of the neighborhoods from Charlotte's early history are gone.  The neighborhood where my grandparents and aunts and uncles lived in the '20s was bulldozed away like so many others.  Charlotte began with the four wards.  Three of them were leveled, and only part of the fourth remains.  I was living in Charlotte when that great gem, the Hotel Charlotte, was blown to pieces.  It was heartbreaking.  That was an incredibly historic hotel, and gorgeous.  No one did anything to save it.  I give the city credit for saving the mint and turning it into the Mint Museum.  But that was way back in the '30s.  In the years since, very little has been done in Charlotte to protect its history, and you know that.  Anyone who lives in Charlotte knows that.  This is not news.  I've lived the better part of my life in city's that DO make efforts to save their historic buildings, so it's a great frustration to me to see Charlotte act so callously about its own historic buildings.

• Like 2

^ I agree. My friends and family are far from "ignorant" or unworldly. They do have preconceptions about southern baptists and rich, self righteous, preachers. So immediately getting on a road named after one followed by driving past various mega churches solidifies those preconceptions. Might as well be Jim Bakker drive to them. So agree or not but don't call them ignorant or look down on them. I think you stayed up too late watching hoops. ;-) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Your friend must be advocating to have the city of San Francisco change its name too. 

When I landed at San Francisco Airport, the first thing that crossed my mind was "OMG, this entire city is named for Saint Francis of Assisi, a Catholic friar, deacon, and preacher. How could they continue to have their city be named after a Saint from a church that doesn't recognize same sex marriages and considers it ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil."

I think this needs to be repeated again in regards to Billy Graham being named a road 

Charlotte is what it is. Bemoaning the past on how we could've been like Winston-Salem isn't going to change the present or future of the city. Uptown is becoming more and more dynamic as the years go on.  

Raleigh chose to do the RTP thing. I wouldn't necessarily call the Research Triangle Park a glorious urban oasis. Maybe they shouldn't have built RTP and focused on building up its urban area instead? 

But who is to say that Raleigh would be what it is today without RTP and  that Charlotte would be what it is today without urban renewal?  We can bemoan RTP and urban renewal in uptown, or we can focus on making cities continually better.

And again. Lol at the Saint Francis line.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of San Francisco here is some information and yes it was named for a Catholic saint and first as a Christian mission. 

From Wikipedia ""San Francisco was founded on June 29, 1776, when colonists from Spain established Presidio of San Francisco at the Golden Gateand Mission San Francisco de Asís a few miles away, all named for St. Francis of Assisi.""

When I think of San Fran now besides it insanely cost of living I think of things like this.

a city needs a map of places to avoid feces on the street because it is such a problem

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/31/feces-map-homeless_n_6400238.html?ncid=engmodushpmg00000006

and more https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/10/mapping-san-franciscos-sidewalk-pooping-problem/409561/

and it is so popular a place to move OUT of there is this 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/So-Many-People-Moving-Out-of-the-Bay-Area-is-Causing-a-U-Haul-Truck-Shortage-476281843.html?_osource=mobilesharebar

and this https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san-francisco/article/Bay-Area-outward-migration-exodus-sf-redfin-12563337.php?utm_campaign=email-mobile&utm_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

I will take the leafy clean streets of Charlotte any day and twice on Sunday ( gotta go to church and what is wrong with that?) and yes I have been there and have absolutely no desire to ever go back for there are so many other great places in California. 

• Like 2

The perfect synopsis article related to the perception of Charlotte nationwide:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ncaa-host-cities-attractions-2018/index.html

#2 and #4 seem like a stretch to me.  Both are fine, but seems a little sad to include in the "Starting Five".

I am curious what suggestions everyone has to replace #2 and #4.  Carowinds? Rail Trail?  Charlotte Knights? (I know they aren't in season yet) Freedom Park?

image.png.18fb21df22a3e1a945678ee5e8c7d266.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

The perfect synopsis article related to the perception of Charlotte nationwide:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ncaa-host-cities-attractions-2018/index.html

#2 and #4 seem like a stretch to me.  Both are fine, but seems a little sad to include in the "Starting Five".

I am curious what suggestions everyone has to replace #2 and #4.  Carowinds? Rail Trail?  Charlotte Knights? (I know they aren't in season yet) Freedom Park?

image.png.18fb21df22a3e1a945678ee5e8c7d266.png

Carowinds won't be in season yet either. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Passing through PHL I noticed that Charlotte is up there with "NC" after it, while the other "Ch" cities didnt have VA, or, WV, or SC?  Heck, Bangor without ME?  Are these boards created by PHL or AA?

20180315_205930.jpg

I think it’s an AA thing.  When you come out of the flight in CLT, the monitors say “Welcome to Charlotte, NC.”

...I think you are correct kickazzz...  Someone tell American we have no idea which Charleston or Burlington they're referring to but almost anyone can tell you Charlotte is in NC.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:10 PM, Phillydog said:

Passing through PHL I noticed that Charlotte is up there with "NC" after it, while the other "Ch" cities didnt have VA, or, WV, or SC?  Heck, Bangor without ME?  Are these boards created by PHL or AA?

20180315_205930.jpg

Why is a flight from Buffalo in customs?  

Edited by kickazzz2000
  • Like 1