Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

12 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone here know predicted future Charlotte population statistics? Ex; 1 Million City Limits, 3 Million Metro? Etc.

From US Census Bureau's American Community Survey (see link below):

Mecklenburg County Projected Population 2010 - 2060

• 2010         923,326
  • 2016     1,054,835
  • 2020     1,129,894
  • 2030     1,326,892
  • 2040     1,537,391
  • 2050     1,761,634
  • 2060     1,999,802

Change 2010 - 2060  =  1,076,476 residents.  Percent Change: 116.6%

Wake County Projected Population 2010 - 2060

• 2010         906,949
  • 2016     1,046,791
  • 2020     1,129,400     Wake County merely 494 residents smaller than Mecklenburg County
  • 2030     1,345,140     Wake County now largest in NC
  • 2040     1,574,070                           "
  • 2050     1,816,314                           "
  • 2060     2,071,937                           "

Change 2010 - 2060 = 1,164,988.  Percent Change: 128.5%

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

From the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, Population Growth and Projections  (see link below):

Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA)

2018   -    2.54M

2021   -   2.66M

2024   -    2.78M

2027   -   2.90M

2030   -   3.02M

2033   -   3.14M

2035   -   3.21M

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

From LawnStarter (see link below):

Charlotte Area's Population to Approach 3 Million by 2030

Charlotte Uptown

"Just 15 years from now, in 2030, the population of the Charlotte, NC, metro area will rival that of the Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL, area."

"A LawnStarter analysis of projections for North Carolina and South Carolina shows that the 2030 population of the 10-county Charlotte metro area will nudge toward 3 million, up nearly 24 percent from the 2014 headcount."

"If the projected 2030 population of 2,943,334 were applied to the present day, Charlotte would be the 18th largest metro area in the U.S., pushing Tampa-St. Petersburg to the No. 19 spot. Based on 2014 population estimates, the Charlotte region now sits at No. 22 among the country’s biggest metro areas."

"Our analysis indicates that Mecklenburg County, NC, is projected to lead the 10-county pack with a 2014-30 growth rate of 33.9 percent, followed by York County, SC, at 30.7 percent and Cabarrus County, NC, at 23.4 percent."

"From 2014 to 2030, the Charlotte area is expected to add more than 563,000 residents, according to our analysis. That would be like plopping the current population of Albuquerque, NM, into the Charlotte area."

"Chuck McShane, director of research at the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, says the region’s economic engine is propelling the population growth."

“Charlotte has been a magnet for job growth in recent years, attracting many major headquarters relocations. This has brought many people to the area, which in turn spurs more businesses to support these newcomers,” McShane says."

"On top of that, the Charlotte area boasts a lower-than-average cost of living, along with attractive housing options such as urban apartments and suburban homes, he says."

“People like it here,” McShane says, “and the word has gotten out.”

County 2014 Population 2030 Population Increase/Decrease
Cabarrus 192,103 236,992 23.37%
Chester 32,337 32,400 0.19%
Gaston 211,127 228,637 8.29%
Lancaster 83,160 95,300 14.60%
Iredell 166,675 196,282 17.76%
Lincoln 79,829 85,818 7.50%
Mecklenburg 1,012,539 1,355,271 33.85%
Rowan 138,630 138,404 -0.16%
Union 218,568 253,530 16.00%
York 245,346 320,700 30.71%

Total 2,380,314 2,943,334 23.65%

Sources:

http://demography.cpc.unc.edu/2013/10/14/population-growth-population-aging-in-north-carolina-counties/

http://www.sccommunityprofiles.org/census/proj_c2010.html

http://quickfacts.census.gov/

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Links;

(1)  http://proximityone.com/demographics2060.htm   --  Demographic Trends 2010 - 2060

(2)  https://www.ncleg.net/documentsites/committees/house2015-172/2-22-16_Meeting/Demographic_Trends_through_2035.pdf  -- NC Demographic Trends Through 2035, UNC Carolina Population Center Demography

(3) https://charlottechamber.com/clientuploads/Data/Demographics/RegionalPopulationDashboard.pdf  -- Charlotte Chamber, Population Growth and Projections, Charlotte Region

(4) https://www.lawnstarter.com/charlotte-nc-lawn-care/charlotte-population-in-2030  --  Charlotte Area's Population to Approach 3 Million by 2030

Edited by QCxpat
Add projections for MSA from Charlotte Chamber
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, KJHburg said:

Charlotte is cheap this home this tiny home shattered all records in highest price per square foot sale in Silicon Valley! https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/02/sunnyvale-home-shatters-new-record-with-enormous-price-tag/

and can we talk about Charlotte's perception nationwide instead of bashing a dead evangelist?  

The two are actually linked.  I'm in California.  A friend of mine who works in the tech industry here was offered a position in Charlotte.  He flew to Charlotte to look into the position and see the area.  The very first thing he saw when he left the airport was Billy Graham Parkway.  That the city of Charlotte would name one of its most important roads after an evangelist was a big red flag and a sign for him that perhaps Charlotte would not be a welcoming place to all people.  [That might have been on the minds of the Amazon execs as well.]  Beyond that, he also felt the city was lacking charm (consistent with the frequent criticism that it is "soulless" suburban sprawl with few vibrant or historic neighborhoods).  

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

The two are actually linked.  I'm in California.  A friend of mine who works in the tech industry here was offered a position in Charlotte.  He flew to Charlotte to look into the position and see the area.  The very first thing he saw when he left the airport was Billy Graham Parkway.  That the city of Charlotte would name one of its most important roads after an evangelist was a big red flag and a sign for him that perhaps Charlotte would not be a welcoming place to all people.  [That might have been on the minds of the Amazon execs as well.]  Beyond that, he also felt the city was lacking charm (consistent with the frequent criticism that it is "soulless" suburban sprawl with few vibrant or historic neighborhoods).  

[emoji15]
Man, your friend sounds just... great... naming a street after one of your most famous citizens, where his homestead is, how is that a red flag. If that’s how your friend acts, he’s a red flag. Sorry but that’s such an ignorant position to make, and I’m about as anti religion as it gets. Most of charlottes original historic neighborhoods are intact as well, it’s just hard to have massive amounts of history, when you werent even a blip on the national radar during those times. Your friend should take things with context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

emoji15.png
Man, your friend sounds just... great... naming a street after one of your most famous citizens, where his homestead is, how is that a red flag. If that’s how your friend acts, he’s a red flag. Sorry but that’s such an ignorant position to make, and I’m about as anti religion as it gets. Most of charlottes original historic neighborhoods are intact as well, it’s just hard to have massive amounts of history, when you werent even a blip on the national radar during those times. Your friend should take things with context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, my friend is great.  You don't know him, I do, so you don't need to insult him.  This certain famous citizen  of Charlotte, Billy Graham, said some things that were very hurtful to the Jewish and LGBT communities, not to mention comments that set women way back.  He fell far short of being a unifying figure.  Rather, he was one who would accept certain groups of people only if those people were to deny a fundamental part of who they are.   Now we have his son, Franklin, who is ten times worse, who runs Billy Graham's organization.   And people who do not follow them closely (which would be most people) do not differentiate.

I have no problem with a street being named after Graham, but I don't think it's a good idea when that street is the very first one a person sees when they arrive in Charlotte.  If they have to name such an important street after someone, why not someone like Hugh McColl, who is actually greatly responsible for making Charlotte what it is today -- someone who is not known for divisive statements?  You and many of the posters here are inside a bubble and probably immune to this by now, but the subject of this thread is "perception of Charlotte nationwide."  And I'm just giving you some honest perspective on that.  The perception of Charlotte is not the same as it is inside Charlotte.  Charlotte is stil a city inside the Bible Belt, a city that suffered many scars during the Civil Rights movement.   People remember that.  It wants to brand itself a "world class city," but when people from the outside see something like Billy Graham Parkway, they may think Bible Belt City. 

As for "most of Charlotte's historic neighborhoods" still being intact, that makes sense only in the context of every neighborhood reflecting some part of history.  But most of the neighborhoods from Charlotte's early history are gone.  The neighborhood where my grandparents and aunts and uncles lived in the '20s was bulldozed away like so many others.  Charlotte began with the four wards.  Three of them were leveled, and only part of the fourth remains.  I was living in Charlotte when that great gem, the Hotel Charlotte, was blown to pieces.  It was heartbreaking.  That was an incredibly historic hotel, and gorgeous.  No one did anything to save it.  I give the city credit for saving the mint and turning it into the Mint Museum.  But that was way back in the '30s.  In the years since, very little has been done in Charlotte to protect its history, and you know that.  Anyone who lives in Charlotte knows that.  This is not news.  I've lived the better part of my life in city's that DO make efforts to save their historic buildings, so it's a great frustration to me to see Charlotte act so callously about its own historic buildings.

• Like 2

^ I agree. My friends and family are far from "ignorant" or unworldly. They do have preconceptions about southern baptists and rich, self righteous, preachers. So immediately getting on a road named after one followed by driving past various mega churches solidifies those preconceptions. Might as well be Jim Bakker drive to them. So agree or not but don't call them ignorant or look down on them. I think you stayed up too late watching hoops. ;-) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Your friend must be advocating to have the city of San Francisco change its name too. 

When I landed at San Francisco Airport, the first thing that crossed my mind was "OMG, this entire city is named for Saint Francis of Assisi, a Catholic friar, deacon, and preacher. How could they continue to have their city be named after a Saint from a church that doesn't recognize same sex marriages and considers it ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil."

I think this needs to be repeated again in regards to Billy Graham being named a road 

Charlotte is what it is. Bemoaning the past on how we could've been like Winston-Salem isn't going to change the present or future of the city. Uptown is becoming more and more dynamic as the years go on.  

Raleigh chose to do the RTP thing. I wouldn't necessarily call the Research Triangle Park a glorious urban oasis. Maybe they shouldn't have built RTP and focused on building up its urban area instead? 

But who is to say that Raleigh would be what it is today without RTP and  that Charlotte would be what it is today without urban renewal?  We can bemoan RTP and urban renewal in uptown, or we can focus on making cities continually better.

And again. Lol at the Saint Francis line.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of San Francisco here is some information and yes it was named for a Catholic saint and first as a Christian mission. 

From Wikipedia ""San Francisco was founded on June 29, 1776, when colonists from Spain established Presidio of San Francisco at the Golden Gateand Mission San Francisco de Asís a few miles away, all named for St. Francis of Assisi.""

When I think of San Fran now besides it insanely cost of living I think of things like this.

a city needs a map of places to avoid feces on the street because it is such a problem

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/31/feces-map-homeless_n_6400238.html?ncid=engmodushpmg00000006

and more https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/10/mapping-san-franciscos-sidewalk-pooping-problem/409561/

and it is so popular a place to move OUT of there is this 

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/So-Many-People-Moving-Out-of-the-Bay-Area-is-Causing-a-U-Haul-Truck-Shortage-476281843.html?_osource=mobilesharebar

and this https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san-francisco/article/Bay-Area-outward-migration-exodus-sf-redfin-12563337.php?utm_campaign=email-mobile&utm_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

I will take the leafy clean streets of Charlotte any day and twice on Sunday ( gotta go to church and what is wrong with that?) and yes I have been there and have absolutely no desire to ever go back for there are so many other great places in California. 

• Like 2

The perfect synopsis article related to the perception of Charlotte nationwide:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ncaa-host-cities-attractions-2018/index.html

#2 and #4 seem like a stretch to me.  Both are fine, but seems a little sad to include in the "Starting Five".

I am curious what suggestions everyone has to replace #2 and #4.  Carowinds? Rail Trail?  Charlotte Knights? (I know they aren't in season yet) Freedom Park?

image.png.18fb21df22a3e1a945678ee5e8c7d266.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

The perfect synopsis article related to the perception of Charlotte nationwide:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ncaa-host-cities-attractions-2018/index.html

#2 and #4 seem like a stretch to me.  Both are fine, but seems a little sad to include in the "Starting Five".

I am curious what suggestions everyone has to replace #2 and #4.  Carowinds? Rail Trail?  Charlotte Knights? (I know they aren't in season yet) Freedom Park?

image.png.18fb21df22a3e1a945678ee5e8c7d266.png

Carowinds won't be in season yet either. 

23 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Passing through PHL I noticed that Charlotte is up there with "NC" after it, while the other "Ch" cities didnt have VA, or, WV, or SC?  Heck, Bangor without ME?  Are these boards created by PHL or AA?

20180315_205930.jpg

I think it’s an AA thing.  When you come out of the flight in CLT, the monitors say “Welcome to Charlotte, NC.”

On 3/15/2018 at 9:10 PM, Phillydog said:

Passing through PHL I noticed that Charlotte is up there with "NC" after it, while the other "Ch" cities didnt have VA, or, WV, or SC?  Heck, Bangor without ME?  Are these boards created by PHL or AA?

20180315_205930.jpg

Why is a flight from Buffalo in customs?  

Edited by kickazzz2000
  • Like 1

https://www.zagat.com/b/30-most-exciting-food-cities-in-america-2017

This isn't about Charlotte being placed on a top 30 most exciting food city list, but about Charlotte NOT being on one. This is why I cringe every time someone from Asheville, Chapel Hill, Durham, Atlanta or Charleston opens a second restaurant in Charlotte. We should be opening our own restaurants, so we can be on this list.

27 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

https://www.zagat.com/b/30-most-exciting-food-cities-in-america-2017

This isn't about Charlotte being placed on a top 30 most exciting food city list, but about Charlotte NOT being on one. This is why I cringe every time someone from Asheville, Chapel Hill, Durham, Atlanta or Charleston opens a second restaurant in Charlotte. We should be opening our own restaurants, so we can be on this list.

#ButtonDownTown

• Like 1