Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

48 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

I mean, we do have Queen City which is very fitting for our City and has history to it.  I believe Bank Town was another that's kinda faded away.  

As for something new, how about "Charlotte is Charlotte".  We always talk about creating our own identity and culture and try to separate our town from others. What better way than saying that Charlotte is Charlotte, we're not really weird, corky,  or funky in any respect, we're not a gateway city or anything, we're just Charlotte, which is awesome in its own right.  Let's build on our name and let people know that we are CHARLOTTE and that's all we're trying to be.

"Keep Charlotte boring"

https://m.facebook.com/keepcharlotteboring/

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Charlotte: Still Under Construction

Honestly I think we could play off of that, acknowledging that we are still a fairly young city in terms of development. A lot of hardcore Charlottians like to boast that we are as old as any other East Coast city, but the reality is Charlotte didn't lost it's six figure population virginity till the middle of the 20th century.

Charlotte: Together We Can Create our Legacy

Charlotte: The Canvass of the New South

Charlotte: Be a Part of our History

Charlotte: The Rest is Still Unwritten (with credit to Natasha Bedingfield)

Honestly "Stake your Claim" the 49ers slogan could work for the city as a whole. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

With all due respect given your address - I'd rather not be associated with SC though.

But to be fair two counties of the metro are in SC and the panthers represent both states too.  Carowinds straddles the border. A ton of USC students move to CLT for the robust job market and proximity to Columbia (and hour and a half). I can understand where your sentiment comes from though.

• Like 1

I say lets stick with the Queen City and build upon like the airport has done with royal themes.  Come see our Crown Jewels!  Expect the Royal Treatment! 

As for SC and the Carolinas in general like it or not we are the dominant center of both Carolinas and many of our leaders have come from SC.   One that stands is out is a guy by the name of Hugh McColl from little old Bennettsville SC and of our former mayor  Harvey Gantt was from SC too.   and who knows the new Panthers owner might be from Charleston SC.  Our two states are intertwined for sure but I will choose to live on this side of the border but who doesn't love Charleston and Hilton Head Island?  

• Like 3

Here ya go - I don't love Hilton Head. 

I bet "Queen City" means nothing to the majority of people who  live here and it certainly wouldn't draw anyone here. Love the Crown Jewels though. ;-)

We should get back to a focus on the beer industry and join up with Asheville. Best Beer Cities in the south or something along those lines?

• Haha 1

Queen City is true...don't know why the debate.  I wouldn't disassociate from that.  A tagline though; dont really care.  I will move to Charlotte when I retire no matter the slogan.  However,  people make a city great. So when a group of strategic thinking people share a vision to make a city great and it happens;  slogans/nicknames come with.  Think about when ATL truly broke thru.  ATL was always "big" in the south but when the great thinkers and civic leaders got together to make a world class city-Hotlanta happened.  Remember when that happened/  When is Charlotte's Hotlanta moment.  Has it passed? Some Charlotte's  residents lament the lack of history and character or culture.  My thought is preserve whats left, invest in present and fund the future.  Charlotte should be the newest city in the south.  Meaning a city of the future.  Take some risk; build futuristic buildings.  Embrace cutting edge urban planning concepts.  Champion out of the box thinking.  If Charlotte wants to set itself apart the only way to do that is to look forward.  The way ATL boomed to the next tier will not work now.  So instead of slogans maybe the chamber need to bring in urban planners from asia.  Just my thoughts.

• Like 2