Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

10 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Or Nashville's culture/history.

Charlotte is too embarrassed of southern culture only occasionally letting it slip when it comes to BBQ. 

Nascar for example. Something not fully embraced like southern culture is in Austin or country music in Nashville 

12 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Charlotte was included in this guys list of city's aerials. Most of them were of world capitals/largest cities in the country.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/5l66yr/this_is_why_i_always_get_a_window_seat_my_pics/

1490891775_cltaerial.thumb.jpg.20310192a3bb73e404b17d96b14d9752.jpg

Proud of Charlotte.  Despite the difficulties from back east.  One day all of NC will unite one for all; all for one.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m concerned Charlotte’s growth is slowing and other cities are surpassing us. Since I’ve been traveling to other cities this week, The latest being St. Louis, It made me realize Charlotte is behind in a few ways. It might just be anxiety kicking in, But I’m a little concerned that our growth might be slowing, Even though most articles state that our growth is only starting. Side note - St. Louis and Kansas City are both really sprawling with multiple skylines, I hope one day Charlotte can develop several urban centers comparable to those. 

• Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I’m concerned Charlotte’s growth is slowing and other cities are surpassing us. Since I’ve been traveling to other cities this week, The latest being St. Louis, It made me realize Charlotte is behind in a few ways. It might just be anxiety kicking in, But I’m a little concerned that our growth might be slowing, Even though most articles state that our growth is only starting. Side note - St. Louis and Kansas City are both really sprawling with multiple skylines, I hope one day Charlotte can develop several urban centers comparable to those. 

So what leads you to believe this?

Our job growth is very strong in this market for example according to JLL first quarter 2018 report employment grew in the last 12 months in the Charlotte area 2.7% 

Peer cities Atlanta 2%  Nashville 2.3%  Raleigh Durham 2.7%   

St Louis in the same time frame for example a mere  .4%    

Most of Charlotte's current job growth is from expanding existing companies like the big Banks, insurance, finance, distribution, light manufacturing etc.  That is who is absorbing all this office space,  warehouse space etc.  And this is just job growth population growth is still among the tops of any metro area in the country.   

We are the lowest tax state of any of the neighboring states.  As I stated before the big banks don't make big announcements of job additions in the market they do it quietly especially Wells and BofA.   They are growing their employment in this market but you wont hear a big Chamber ballyhooed announcement about it.  Wells has not vacated any space in the last few years but has added a 250,000 sq ft building in Ballantyne with rumors of another one coming.  Plus there is plenty of smaller job announcements that keep adding up.  Allstate is adding 2200 jobs here and and they have no where near added all those yet.     We have 1.6 million sq ft of new office space underway uptown on just 2 blocks that is heavily preleased already and sure they will be some shuffling around but developers in this environment don't add space like that without assurances it will be leased up.   

Summer is the absolute slowest time in economic development as well.  Fall and right before the end of the year is actually around here the busiest time.  Just wait.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2018 at 8:29 PM, Cadi40 said:

Nashville citizens that have been to Charlotte, Look up to us. And if you’ve been to Nashville, You’d know why. Not necessarily in the Nightlife spectrum, But in other Categories such as Density, Transit, And even Diversity. 

Not sure what you mean by "Density" or "Diversity". Nashville got the hills, the top 15 research university among 7 universities in a 49 mile radius, the classical and neo-classical architecture, the dozens of antebellum mansions, the food, the 14.5 million visitors in 2017. I looked for Charlotte tourism figures for 2017 and could not find the visitor numbers. Below is a freely shared photo by a U-P contributor to the Nashville board.

Nashville over Centennial.jpg

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dragonfly said:

Not sure what you mean by "Density" or "Diversity". Nashville got the hills, the top 15 research university among 7 universities in a 49 mile radius, the classical and neo-classical architecture, the dozens of antebellum mansions, the food, the 14.5 million visitors in 2017. I looked for Charlotte tourism figures for 2017 and could not find the visitor numbers. Below is a freely shared photo by a U-P contributor to the Nashville board.

Nashville over Centennial.jpg

I would expect a state capital to have adequqre amount of mid rise.  Add to that urban college campus and you can have ample infill.  What Charlotte has is height and increasing density; building and population.  Also, the QC has the neo-classical and antebellum neighborhoods as well.  They are just hidden by the immense canopy.  I like the pic and don't want this to be a city vs city thing.

I used “Diversity”  in a demeanor that Nashville is very touristy and in my opinion parts of it trashy. I’m not saying Charlotte doesn’t have those areas but Charlotte does have more local food and a larger diversity of population as opposed to attractions aimed towards tourists. Nashville and Charlotte are both unique, let’s embrace the differences, even though technically I started this debate, I recently learned comparing cities can be wrong. 

Update - In 2016, The Charlotte area had 27.8 million visitors, Most buisness travelers, some here for the attractions and some for family. In 2016 Nashville area had 13.9 million visitors. I think a lot of people underestimate the Charlotte tourism industry. It’s no Orlando by any means, But there’s not nothing to do here.  

Edited by Cadi40

20 hours ago, dragonfly said:

I think what frustrates me (and beaucoups of Nashville citizens) is that, despite the apparent density in that photo, the street infrastructure is remarkable suburban. In this photo, for example, much of what we see is along Broadway and 21st. Incredible density, but it feels more like Ballantyne than a dense urban neighborhood.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 11:56 PM, NcSc74 said:

I would expect a state capital to have adequqre amount of mid rise.  Add to that urban college campus and you can have ample infill.  What Charlotte has is height and increasing density; building and population.  Also, the QC has the neo-classical and antebellum neighborhoods as well.  They are just hidden by the immense canopy.  I like the pic and don't want this to be a city vs city thing.

Two state office buildings that I can make out, the Polk and Snodgrass buildings on the far left and neither of them are 'mid rise'. If someone can identify midrise (say 16 and fewer stories) state office buildings, OK I'm interested. The Vanderbilt contingent includes the 4 dormitories to the far right, two of which (where I lived one year) are soon to be imploded, and a couple of years after, the other two taken down. They and the low rise quadrangle to their left are the VU total contingent.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:24 PM, Cadi40 said:

That picture is the opposite of dense. Instead it is sprawling with 5 story office building galore.

OK. if you say so. I don't live there so say whatever you want if you want to somehow ridicule. For the past two years straight they have been in the top five markets for number of hotel rooms under construction, along with NYC, L.A. Seattle, and the 5th one escapes me, maybe Orlando. That means an "amenity arms race", as you can read here: https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/07/02/nashville-hotels-amenity-arms-race-omni-westin-bobby-thompson/730942002/

Edited by dragonfly

5 hours ago, dragonfly said:

Not 21st or Broadway or West End or Vanderbilt.  Not sure but it is possibly reversed. From several years back 3 tower cranes visible.

Image result for music row roundabout aerial photos

It looks impressive dive from that angle and then you look at how spread all that is and imagine the pedestrian experience. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dragonfly said:

Not 21st or Broadway or West End or Vanderbilt.  Not sure but it is possibly reversed. From several years back 3 tower cranes visible.

Image result for music row roundabout aerial photos

I get what you are saying but I prefer tight urban cores.  Charlotte may not have endless mid rise but what she does have is a tight skyline with height.  

• Like 1

Read an article on MSN about the looming housing bubble and how hot housing markets are going to fare.  The article mentioned SF, LA NYC and little ol Charlotte and how the region deals with rapid growth  due to a hot job market.  Sorry no link. 

There is absolutely a housing bubble right now, sadly. However, with Charlotte's growth rate it would be easier to justify the bubble here and CLT would recover much more quickly from a collapse. Luckily the bubble isnt anywhere close to what it was pre-recession. 

It's interesting that they mention those three and then Charlotte for sure. 

I think it's great to compare these two peer cities but let's try to keep it from being a city vs city conversation. 

Nashville's growth was much different than Charlotte's. In 1900 Nashville was approaching 90k population which Charlotte hadn't broken 20k yet. Yes they're both boomtowns right now but Nashville's growth has been going on for longer so naturally where that growth would be is going to be very different in where people and businesses are located and how the neighborhoods formed.

• Like 2

^^^ Prices have risen fast for sure but the lower price range under 250-300K in Charlotte is in very short supply.  I agree the higher price ranges maybe frothy and I have seen price reductions in the top.  However no new housing product or very limited is being built in the under 250K price rang and that is where most of the buyers are and this does not seem to be changing soon.  Upper price ranges that is a whole another story.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Prices have risen fast for sure but the lower price range under 250-300K in Charlotte is in very short supply.  I agree the higher price ranges maybe frothy and I have seen price reductions in the top.  However no new housing product or very limited is being built in the under 250K price rang and that is where most of the buyers are and this does not seem to be changing soon.  Upper price ranges that is a whole another story.  

Agree!  The most ridiculous pricing is between 300K and 600K (except at my address, where the price seems downright reasonable).  Under $300K, the issue is availability (as you said) and those prices will fall very little (if at all) with a correction.  Over $600K, there will be deals for sure but presumably in this market most of those folks won't default on loans (which will help protect the value).  $300K to $600K will be a bloodbath and a buying opportunity for those who are liquid (but not 2009 bloodbath). 

My house went from $320K in '04 to $380K in '07 to $290K in '09 to $382K as of a minute ago (according to Redfin).  With a correction, it will be worth ~$340K.  On the plus side, it's paid off next June...

Hosting The Republican National Convention would put Charlotte in the company of only 11 other US Cities that've hosted both Major Party Conventions.  Do you think this would be enough (as well as Charlottes welcoming attitude) to outway any negativity/negative events that may be broadcast during the  Convetion?

On 7/13/2018 at 3:56 PM, Nick2 said:

The best part is Charlotte's bubble is a whole lot more natural than places like sf or Seattle. Stuff isn't insane here like it is there.

So I’m a little biased here, but I’d argue the opposite.  SF and Seattle are very dense and also bound by a number of geographic features that limit new construction.  Exceptionally high demand coupled with high wages and low inventory of SFH leads to bonkers prices.

I also don’t believe Charlotte is in a “bubble” as purchasing isn’t currently driven by speculation.  That said, I’d argue it’s more susceptible to market fluctuations because it can continue to grow outwards through new construction , like Houston or Atlanta.  Unless you know something I don’t, haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

So I’m a little biased here, but I’d argue the opposite.  SF and Seattle are very dense and also bound by a number of geographic features that limit new construction.  Exceptionally high demand coupled with high wages and low inventory of SFH leads to bonkers prices.

I also don’t believe Charlotte is in a “bubble” as purchasing isn’t currently driven by speculation.  That said, I’d argue it’s more susceptible to market fluctuations because it can continue to grow outwards through new construction , like Houston or Atlanta.  Unless you know something I don’t, haha.

Interesting perspective. I was mostly looking at it as artificially inflated prices. Sf and seattle should absolutely have high prices in general but they're rising a rate much higher than it should naturally be. Charlotte is more along the lines of building massive complexes with the expectation of filling them. And the prices are creeping upward in Charlotte too but they're not unreasonable. I dont know a ton about real estate pricing so this is just my basic understanding and observations.