CarolinaDaydreamin

Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Hosting The Republican National Convention would put Charlotte in the company of only 11 other US Cities that've hosted both Major Party Conventions.  Do you think this would be enough (as well as Charlottes welcoming attitude) to outway any negativity/negative events that may be broadcast during the  Convetion?

On 7/13/2018 at 3:56 PM, Nick2 said:

The best part is Charlotte's bubble is a whole lot more natural than places like sf or Seattle. Stuff isn't insane here like it is there.

So I’m a little biased here, but I’d argue the opposite.  SF and Seattle are very dense and also bound by a number of geographic features that limit new construction.  Exceptionally high demand coupled with high wages and low inventory of SFH leads to bonkers prices.

I also don’t believe Charlotte is in a “bubble” as purchasing isn’t currently driven by speculation.  That said, I’d argue it’s more susceptible to market fluctuations because it can continue to grow outwards through new construction , like Houston or Atlanta.  Unless you know something I don’t, haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

So I’m a little biased here, but I’d argue the opposite.  SF and Seattle are very dense and also bound by a number of geographic features that limit new construction.  Exceptionally high demand coupled with high wages and low inventory of SFH leads to bonkers prices.

I also don’t believe Charlotte is in a “bubble” as purchasing isn’t currently driven by speculation.  That said, I’d argue it’s more susceptible to market fluctuations because it can continue to grow outwards through new construction , like Houston or Atlanta.  Unless you know something I don’t, haha.

Interesting perspective. I was mostly looking at it as artificially inflated prices. Sf and seattle should absolutely have high prices in general but they're rising a rate much higher than it should naturally be. Charlotte is more along the lines of building massive complexes with the expectation of filling them. And the prices are creeping upward in Charlotte too but they're not unreasonable. I dont know a ton about real estate pricing so this is just my basic understanding and observations.

5 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Interesting perspective. I was mostly looking at it as artificially inflated prices. Sf and seattle should absolutely have high prices in general but they're rising a rate much higher than it should naturally be. Charlotte is more along the lines of building massive complexes with the expectation of filling them. And the prices are creeping upward in Charlotte too but they're not unreasonable. I dont know a ton about real estate pricing so this is just my basic understanding and observations.

Oh yeah the prices are definitely going to cool.  The spike has been nuts.  I don’t foresee a 2007 level bubble burst though, moreso a slight dip then plateau.  It’s a lot harder to buy a house now than in the mid-2000’s.  So you don’t have people with minimal incomes buying ARM’s that skyrocket and force them to foreclose.  At least not to the degree of 2006.

Speculative condo building is usually a bad sign.  I do think Seattle is in for a small pop in the condo/townhome market.  I have no evidence to back that up, just purely my observation.

But much like Seattle, if people keep coming to Charlotte and good jobs are present, housing prices will continue to stay strong.  Price growth will just slow as interest rates keep creeping up.