Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I was just looking for the guy on twitter so I could give him a piece of my mind. But it looks like he hasn't tweeted in 5 years :-(. Guess I'll just go scream into the void. I'd love to take him around and show him just how much culture Charlotte has, if he'd venture out of his hotel room and into our funkier neighborhoods.  

I was thinking he probably got the inspiration for that line because the airport, the bar, and his room in the same hotel are probably all he saw.

Fight the good fight, brother.

• Like 1

https://nextcity.org/features/view/charlotte-moves-toward-a-car-free-city-center

This is a pretty good article, a lot of really odd errors, which i emailed the author about. Interestingly Next City flew him down to Charlotte for 3 days to interview people and write this article. He got some stuff wrong for sure, I wish Charlotte had 5 50 floor buildings. I also wish this district around Discovery, the Library, & Spirit Square was all called "Spirit Square," but its not. His last paragraph is also odd, and wrong

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, kermit said:

Meanwhile in your Vision Zero news, This is a bad look for Charlotte...

Very sad for the family, but unfortunately I have seen COUNTLESS incidents in which pedestrians are not paying attention to their surroundings and just walk into the road without looking.  Yes motor traffic is supposed to yield at designated crosswalks and the like, but it is also the responsibility of the walker to be on the look out too....especially with headphones and cellphones in tow!!

• Like 3

Most of the press in Charlotte spend their time surfing the internet to re-share the latest nationwide scandal of puppies that were left out on a cold night, alligators found in a swimming pool, people hit by lightning, or the latest incident of an obese person being embarrassed on an airplane. 

They certainly aren't going to do investigative journalism when they get the same amount of clicks for re-sharing sensational news that belongs in a tabloid.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, teeg said:

From experience, that 23 mpg and the 10 speed automatic transmission really makes a huge difference when you're driving from the Ritz-Carlton to the Spectrum Center.

yea that made me LOL too. Somehow took them 5 min to drive there if I recall. Good lord.

Weather Channel is reporting LIVE from Romare Bearden Park with great skyline shots.  Of course they mention the coming rain possible gusts etc.  and don't panic Jim Cantore the hurricane magnet is down at Wrightsville Beach.  (if he shows up in your city you know you are the bullseye.) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2018 at 7:46 AM, Dale said:

A Facebook friend from Florida wrote on his timeline: "Monster storm bearing down on CHARLOTTESVILLE, NC. Be safe Carolina friends!"

3 hours ago, jednc said:

That's more of an indictment of the Facebook friend than of Charlotte, no?

Despite the fact that Charlotte is the nation's 17th largest city, it's hardly a surprise that a lot of Americans can't spot it on a map and don't know the difference between Charlotte and Charlottesville, VA, or between Charlotte and Charleston, SC.  Recently, the Charlotte Business Journal (CBJ) reported that at a meeting in NYC between local Charlotte recruiters and national site selection consultants, the following unflattering opinions about Charlotte were shared:

"Charlotte lacks an identity, site-selection experts remain confused by how the economic development groups divide up responsibilities (including the Charlotte Chamber and the Charlotte Regional Partnership), Charlotte lacks the academic and research pedigree in higher education of its peer cities, the N.C. General Assembly doesn’t cooperate with Charlotte government, state incentives favor rural areas over cities, leadership is largely unknown and, in the words of one site-selection representative, Charlotte is 'a conservative, sleepy business community that shuts down after business hours.'"

Unfortunately, the critical view of national site selection consultants that "Charlotte lacks the academic and research pedigree in higher education of its peer cities" was bolstered by another story written by Harrison Miller, an Intern at the Triangle Business Journal (TBJ) dated August 1, 2018.   Mr. Miller reported that WalletHub looked at the average quality of higher-education institutions in the nations large metro areas, and found that the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia metropolitan area ranked 54th.

Personal Note - I love Charlotte with all my heart and soul, but this sorry situation where Charlotte continues to be the nations largest city without a full medical school or accredited law school or top tier university has got to change.  When it does, people across this great nation will know the difference between Charlotte and Charlottesville or between Charlotte and Charleston.  

Links

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/01/how-does-north-carolina-rank-for-education.html   Triangle Business Journal, "How does North Carolina rank for education?" by Harrison Miller, August 1, 2018.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/21/city-leaders-hear-harsh-assessments-of-charlotte.html   Charlotte Business Journal, (Subscriber only article), "City leaders hear harsh assessment of Charlotte from site selection consultants, prospects" by Erik Spanberg, August 21, 2018.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Personal Note - I love Charlotte with all my heart and soul, but this sorry situation where Charlotte continues to be the nations largest city without a full medical school or accredited law school or top tier university has got to change.  When it does, people across this great nation will know the difference between Charlotte and Charlottesville or between Charlotte and Charleston. 

Or maybe it's better that we are regularly confused with Charlottesville since UVA has top tier medical, law and research institutions.  We should lean into the confusion...

But seriously, lack of a top tier school IS a big deal for Charlotte and we're going to have to bypass Raleigh to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is flat out terrible reporting (or wishful thinking of NY centric bankers)  Bloomberg is full of it! 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-13/wall-street-of-the-south-braces-for-reckoning-as-florence-hits

Not gonna lie, reading that pissed me off. So much nonsense and misrepresentation. FAKE NEWS!

• Like 3