Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2019 at 4:05 PM, QCxpat said:

I spotted just one factual error.   O'Connor raves about Uptown's cityscape and Romare Bearden Park.   O'Connor states that Romare Bearden Park has a magnificent sculpture by the artist.  However, "Spiral Odyssey" was designed by renown African-American sculptor, Richard Hunt,  not by Romare Bearden.  "Spiral Odyssey" is pictured below

That's a pretty huge error. Thanks for pointing it out! Now I've looked up other work by Richard Hunt!

• Like 2

Good article! 

This is technically incorrect as well: "But the part I never looked forward to (don’t shoot me!) was central North Carolina—not I-95, not I-85, none of it. Unless you need to stock up on fireworks or Stuckey's pecan logs, that was just territory to get through as fast as possible."

The author seems to be confusing central North Carolina with South Carolina as fireworks are essentially illegal in NC. SC has all the fireworks shops. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really good article.  I think it echoes what a lot of people say when they visit for the first time -- they are surprised to find that people can formulate complete sentences and have all their teeth,  Then, they realize Charlotte is pretty awesome.  I'm sorry to say that I've never been to the Levine Museum, but one thing I'd hope they would include would be the fact that it was Charlotteans who went to Boston to teach them how to racial segregation and hatred.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Charlotte is the cover story of the AA inflight mag this month.  Always a good thing.

Here is a 15 minute video they also made on their web site.   Our Amazon bid should have had this one

https://magazines.aa.com/en/features/2019/01/local-takes-charlotte-nc

Wow that was a great article and video on Charlotte. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

3)  The Ugly:

A)  Legacy Union.  In person, so much worse.  Should have sent a Crayon;

B)  So, let me get this out of the way on the front end:  I've - also - spent my professional life putting my own time and money behind behavioral health issues , specifically: veterans experiencing homelessness, expansion of behavioral health services for people experiencing homelessness, a scholarship program that provides college stipends for children experiencing homelessness where the Pell and need-based schollies end and everyday living begins, SA halfway homes, expansion of soup kitchens, funding of warming centers, etc.  TL;DR:  If I donate my time or money to 501(c)(3)s, 99% of the time it's related to problems affecting housing/food/medication insecurity.  I say that because I hope you'll pre-emptively see through the lens of what I'm about to say:  Charlotte has a problem with homelessness, and not in the sense of "why are these poors bothering me?"; in the sense of "why is the NCGA and the CLT CC not doing enough to address people experiencing homelessness in the QC (and the QC at the bare minimum; no idea what 919/336 are experiencing).  What the actual fudge?"  sense of the question.  Be better North Carolina;

As if your Photoshop prowess didn't already put you in the ranks of Top Contributor, this whole post sent you over the top.

Agreed on the homelessness and concentrated poverty issues. Urban Ministries (with the fundraising from major corps in CLT) are striving to build as much housing as first for "Housing First" initiative. Essentially the fact that if you give chronically homeless people (those who have mental/physical disabilities, substance abuse, who cannot get on their feet with mere services) and do not demand rent, or to vacate until they're ready, then you can solve homelessness. They are doing great work, but it is not enough.

Beyond that, IMO, it comes down to viewing every single bit if economic growth as having a potential collateral damage to those who are in socio-econonically vulnerable communities. The NCGA, CLT Chamber, and CC are so quick to see the plus side, but it's not politically convenient to address the downside.

That will actually take a movement of citizens demanding action to actually address. Perhaps the current housing crisis is getting us there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, norm21499 said:

I was Uptown yesterday afternoon and ran into a visitor form Japan buying souvenirs. we are definitely drawing people from all over the world for this event.

The all star weekend is great sport wise, but there is a huge underground type of following for rare and limited release shoes and clothing items during this weekend at various pop up shops and jordan/nike HQ at mint...that attracts all the hypebeasts from all over the country. 

Hypebeast: check out this local kid from Charlotte. He is a big time youtuber and his videos show the kind of money that is spent on these types of items. YouTube name is Blazendary. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3