Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

the Washington Post for a long time as mostly used Charlotte without the NC.  

all I can say this All Star Weekend has been very good for Charlotte as it has a national and international tv audience.  I think it showcased the city well.  Of course not quite over yet with the All Star game tonight but so far it has been very good. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

What are the odds that we would be able to score this NBA event again in the future? Does it tend to repeat cities at all? 

It’ll be many many years before it returns. Only a select few smaller metros have had it more than twice (New Orleans being one). Next year, it’s in Indianapolis for only the second time. 

4 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Wikipedia says Chicago is hosting it next year 

My mistake. Indy hosts it in 2020. Cleveland in 2021. It’ll be only the 2nd time for both those cities. And it’s only the third time for Chicago. Point remains: NBA All-star games don’t come around often. Charlotte should focus on a Super Bowl or NFL Draft. The All-star game won’t be back for another 25 years or more. 

• Thanks 1

I drove into Charlotte yesterday around noon from Concord. No traffic to speak of at all. Just normal Sunday traffic most likely die to church"s letting out with some event traffic of course. I expected much more once I got onto 77, but no. Same thing for 277. There was some activity around Bojangles arena. As I made my way back to concord at arounf 2pm, I noticed traffic had picked up some. The concord Mills exit was backed up for at least .25 miles maybe 1/2 mile. I took Poplar Tent exit 52 with no issues at all. 

As I watched the news over the weekend I didn't feel the energy or see the "mobs" of people I had expected. I think that Charlotte did a good job though. No major crimes. No major traffic accidents etc. I think the CPD might have deterred some people bacuse of just how tight security was. There was no reason that the city shouldn't have been all but crawling with traffic and uptown should have been super super busy. Rain or not. Just like NYC on any normal day, the show must go on.  

Charlotte, I believe, may be suffering from a bit of  fatigue in many ways. The locals have dealt with the Panthers shake up. The Hornets are just now becoming good enoough to get people excited. But at the same time we hear of MLS and then theres the Knights baseball, and the unreal ,never-ending road construction all over the metro. And then you have the record amount of commercial and residential construction taking shape Uptown, Southend, Midtown. The BLE was a headache for years. 

All this to say, unless you were an AVID NBA fan, with thousands to spend, there was little point for locals to go uptown save for those living there. If the out of town crowd was relying on Charlotte to carry the entire event, that was dumb and makes no sense to me. 

And like previous post have said, chances are very few local fans were able to get seats. The event was more so for out of towners then locals IMO. 

Let them put us down. Theres always a group that does. But Charlotte just pulled off an event that was delayed, rightfully so, for two years. The event sorta had a dark cloud over its head due to former Governor Pat McCrory and HB2.

• Like 2

^ I think this is an excellent assessment. Charlotteans have seen a lot and been through so much recently. Your list didn’t even include the riot from 2016 or the upcoming RNC either. Bottom line: there’s been a lot of activity/drama in the QC in the past few years. Some good, some not. And while those growing pains are to be expected in a booming city looking to find its way, there’s no shame in getting fatigued by it.

^eh, I don't listen to the trolls from online chat forums or comments sections.  No matter where the all-star or whatever big event, the host city always get those comments from other ppl (haters).

As far as foot traffic, I personally was walking around 2pm on saturday and left Uptown after the skills challenge.  The streets and sidewalks were all SUPER busy.  It really did have that NYC hustle and bustle feel.  A lot of restaurants had private parties and events.  PPL were out the doors waiting for pop up shops.  A lot of street vendors.  It was cool seeing.

Season ticket holders did have a lottery system for tickets to the all star events at face value without having to purchase the VIP packages like the rest of the public.  Not sure how big the allotment was but I'm sure a few thousand.

Like you said though, overall I think the city represented well despite the cooler/wet weather.  TNT and ESPN did a great job showcasing the city.  And the biggest thing, no major (bad) events occurred over the weekend.  All we can ask for at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Not sure I understand why people care so much about the crowd than the event but these twitter comments about the crowd have been steady all weekend and they are brutal tonight. Not watching. Is it as bad as they say?
FB7130A2-6562-4555-93AA-26EC1338A1F0.thumb.jpeg.ae9dc4972f12549ebbc2026a2f526ec5.jpeg
287715A0-CCB2-49FF-8151-D4933957A32A.thumb.jpeg.d6f844d756b4b1fd626e66028c7b4125.jpeg

I was there, yea it was dead. It’s not the crowds fault tho, I wish the greatest players in the world would play defense. Playing nba 2K19 in beginner mode is boring too. It was great to watch but not competitive until the last 7 min. Great crowds are born off of competitive play not teams combining 67 for 167 from 3, and an occasional great dunk.

Plus, 12 5 min timeouts, 15 min quarter breaks and a 45 min halftime got tiring. Yes my hangover from the parties the night before made me a grumpy 34 year old but still. I had fun but it was soooo long, and the merch was so bad. Had a goal to buy a starter jacket, which would have sold so fast, and they had nothing hornets what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In addition to the geography lesson, they might want to make a map of Vox. Ironically at Vox, the place they work might be more white than the place they live: https://www.voxmedia.com/a/go-deeper/leadership

If they made a map of Vox, would it be 1% black? 

Vox Media Product Team:

Image result for vox media team

Edited by CLT2014
  • Haha 2

Observer's take on All Star Weekend: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article226198245.html

"Who won the NBA All-Star Game? The city of Charlotte, which did itself proud."

Television ratings for this years All Star Game were down slightly, to a 5.0 Nielsen rating from a 5.1 the year before. It was the most watched show on cable Sunday night and overall ratings were good when you consider the increased amount of streaming media interaction. The NBA went all out to engage via social media as well. 
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article226429455.html

For comparison though, while this was the biggest event Charlotte has hosted due to all the spectacle in the city itself, the TV ratings (and thus mass amount of people seeing the city skyline, etc...) for All Star are lower than your average NFL game. The Panthers-Saints nationally televised game in December on Monday Night Football had a 9.1 Nielsen rating for example. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I was there, yea it was dead. It’s not the crowds fault tho, I wish the greatest players in the world would play defense. Playing nba 2K19 in beginner mode is boring too. It was great to watch but not competitive until the last 7 min. Great crowds are born off of competitive play not teams combining 67 for 167 from 3, and an occasional great dunk.

Plus, 12 5 min timeouts, 15 min quarter breaks and a 45 min halftime got tiring. Yes my hangover from the parties the night before made me a grumpy 34 year old but still. I had fun but it was soooo long, and the merch was so bad. Had a goal to buy a starter jacket, which would have sold so fast, and they had nothing hornets what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was no defense at Rising Stars either, but it was a shorter game with shorter breaks so it was a really fun time.  Tickets being cheap didn't hurt either.

CIAA weekend will be next week and is expected to be almost like a repeat of All Star weekend sort of. Around the same amount of visitors, Lots of celebrities, parties, and events, but do not expect many ticket sales to the actual sporting events as they are usually empty. Read a few articles that said between 100 to 140 thousand people will be visiting the city. So its back to back great economic weekends for the Queen City.  

https://tourneyparties.com/2019-ciaa-week-celebrity-parties/

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1