Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Observer's take on All Star Weekend: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article226198245.html

"Who won the NBA All-Star Game? The city of Charlotte, which did itself proud."

Television ratings for this years All Star Game were down slightly, to a 5.0 Nielsen rating from a 5.1 the year before. It was the most watched show on cable Sunday night and overall ratings were good when you consider the increased amount of streaming media interaction. The NBA went all out to engage via social media as well. 
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article226429455.html

For comparison though, while this was the biggest event Charlotte has hosted due to all the spectacle in the city itself, the TV ratings (and thus mass amount of people seeing the city skyline, etc...) for All Star are lower than your average NFL game. The Panthers-Saints nationally televised game in December on Monday Night Football had a 9.1 Nielsen rating for example. 

I bet the 1994 Final Four and 2012 DNC were much bigger events in terms of overall exposure. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Desert Power said:

There was no defense at Rising Stars either, but it was a shorter game with shorter breaks so it was a really fun time.  Tickets being cheap didn't hurt either.

Don't get me wrong, I did have fun, but they basically didn't start getting competitive until the end, which sucked because I had a 7:30am interview the next morning. So I went into that interview dead to the world. 

2 hours ago, Sigma said:

I'm probably one of the few fans on this forum...

No you are not alone.  I have attended races and had fun.  Charlotte seems to want to turn its back on this sport even though it employs hundreds and hundreds of well paid people in the area.  Because it is centered in Cabarrus and Iredell and north Meck counties people in Charlotte tend to ignore it.  When I was in Fiji many many years ago someone from Australia asked me where I was from and I said Charlotte and he said NASCAR! 

Plus we a couple  more racers from other countries the media coverage has gotten greater.  And remember NASCAR is not the only sport that has had a drop in attendance.  

• Like 3

Not necessarily Charlotte exclusive, but Last Week Tonight (John Oliver’s HBO comedy/news show) did a piece on the 9th district race and showed the incident when Mark Harris bailed out of the Government Center and set the fire alarm off, he said:

“It’s like watching the Beatles dart though a backstage exit to escape screaming fans, except instead of the Ed Sullivan show, it’s the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center, and instead of lovesick teenagers, it’s WBTV’s David Hodges, and instead of the Beatles, it’s a 52 year old Baptist minister named Mark, the equivalence of four Ringos...”

• Haha 3

On 2/25/2019 at 2:09 AM, nakers2 said:

Not necessarily Charlotte exclusive, but Last Week Tonight (John Oliver’s HBO comedy/news show) did a piece on the 9th district race and showed the incident when Mark Harris bailed out of the Government Center and set the fire alarm off, he said:

“It’s like watching the Beatles dart though a backstage exit to escape screaming fans, except instead of the Ed Sullivan show, it’s the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center, and instead of lovesick teenagers, it’s WBTV’s David Hodges, and instead of the Beatles, it’s a 52 year old Baptist minister named Mark, the equivalence of four Ringos...”

I liked the part where McCready said Christianity teaches that men and women are created equal and quoted Thomas Jefferson to prove it.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, navigator319 said:

Double shooting last night at the AC hotel at Epicenter.  CIAA  weekend good riddance.  Baltimore all yours 

Wait a minute?  You're correlating that incident with the CIAA?  I go every year with most of friends who also have advanced degrees from HBCU's and other institutions of higher learning.  Attend all sorts of events (fashion shows, exhibits, arts and crafts), even some of the games and a party here or there.  Tens of thousands of people pouring money into Charlotte and yes I usually tip at 20+%  regardless of service (in general) but definitely during the CIAA event because of the asinine stereotypes.   Do some of ya'll even know what it's about or just buy into the get rid of the Black people no matter what.  And any incident sensationalized to bolster your ridiculous position.

It's not as though crime ceases to exist uptown during most other events or any other random weekend, even shootings.  It's seems very convenient to align it with the CIAA... The CIAA is headquartered in Charlotte, it will be back after a short run in Baltimore.  My advice is peruse the internet for local MAGA events and hit 'em up that week/weekend.

I have really come to believe that White people don't think other White people are dangerous.  #Sad.  It's just frustrating to actually KNOW that the entire slant of the CIAA being dangerous is pure bullshat.

Edited by Durhamite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Durhamite said:

It's just frustrating to actually KNOW that the entire slant of the CIAA being dangerous is pure bullshat.

It's not, however, it's also known to be more for the parties than the actual basketball tourney.  CIAA does bring a lot of money into the city and is a great event to have, but there is a correlation of violent events that seem to occur every year during the event.  I'm not blaming any race, violence has no color.  I attribute the uptick of violence, due to the "Official" and unofficial parties that are hosted here during the week, in which some of these artists are known to promote violence in their music (and violent themselves) and probably don't attract the most role model citizens to their concerts/appearances.  Thousands of out of towners are a factor too.  Last 4 years:

In 2016, 3 men were accused of shooting at the Hyatt Uptown.

In 2017, that’s when Yung Dolph had over 100 bullets shot at his vehicle.

In 2018, two people were shot at the Sheraton hotel.

In 2019, two shot at AC hotel.

I'm not saying the CIAA event itself is dangerous, however, once the evening comes and the parties/alcohol start ramping up, it very much so increases the chance of crime happening. 

I appreciate the economic impact for our city of CIAA just as much as Speed Street or any large event.  I was parked in the same lot in 2011 and left maybe 30 min earlier from a murder that occurred Uptown during speed street that year.  Since then I've aged and become more of a curmudgeon that tries to avoid large crowds regardless of the demographics if that's any consolation.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

In 2019, two shot at AC hotel.

I'm not saying the CIAA event itself is dangerous, however, once the evening comes and the parties/alcohol start ramping up, it very much so increases the chance of crime happening. 

The AC Hotel shooting really could have happened any weekend and sounds unrelated to the CIAA tournament. The dude is photographed below, was not staying at the hotel, and shot two people in the elevator after saying crazy stuff about "somebody has to die today." This was not really a CIAA related shooting, but a disturbed person. It sounds like the AC Hotel should implement elevator control to prevent a person not staying at the hotel from hurting guests.

David%20Monts%20mug_1551695483736.jpg_14638947_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

There are ways to be address specific issues in a non offensive manner (see @CLT2014 ‘s comment above). 

Many of the NBA All Star parties referenced in an earlier post attracted the very same demographic of people at even higher numbers! No one complained because of the prestige that comes with hosting an all star game. 

Seaboard, I respect everyone on this board, but I feel like some of your post was geared towards my previous post so I will address. 

First off, nothing against clt2014, but let's be real, if it was a black guy, he/she would have never posted the pic of the perpetrator. Almost alluding to the fact that hey, this was a 'white guy', couldn't have been ciaa related. 

Secondly, no one complained about the all star game week bc there were no shootings, even at higher numbers like you stated. You said consider the facts before posting...I did in a 4 year span. Facts show that there were 4 shootings on  different occasions each subsequent year during ciaa. Could these shooting have happened coincidentally, yes, but I am just stating what occurred during this time frame. 

I know very well what the ciaa and hbcu's do. I grew up in Winston/clt and know how much wssu/jcsu mean to the alum and their respective cities. 

• Like 2

Not knocking anybody's point here because I like the discussion, just giving facts. At least 4 people were shot and murdered during the all star weekend. Granted some were coincidental but at least 2 could have been because of all star related parties (definitely the one at the strip club). Now continue discussion...

Edited by 11 HouseBZ

The CIAA in Charlotte is becoming stale. I think that's what the issue is. It's become less about the basketball and more about an excuse to party. Many Charlottians, white or of color, simply see this as a busier weekend to go Uptown and "turn up" as I like to say in an ironic fashion. I have been to CIAA festivities before, and while the VAST majority of people attending were either neutral to my prescience, or embraced it, I also have felt unwelcome at times, and I cannot help but feel like it's because I'm a tall white dude showing his face during a historically Black event. Look at Speed Street, on the other hand, where the majority turnout is White, but I'm sure most people of color do not feel uncomfortable joining in.  I'd be willing to put my money down that most of the violence that is perpetrated during CIAA weekend, both deadly or simply fights that might break out, are not committed by HBCU grads or basketball game attendees. As many of you said above, it's the result of parties and events that occur each and every season. I think having some variety in the pool of host cities is beneficial. Not only do some people get tired of going to the same place each year, but businesses also become weary, and we end up with a situation like at the Ritz where they have to compensate for lost gratuity, or hotels that have to charge more to mitigate predictable risk. Make it an occasional thing, and these problems will remedy themselves. People with beef will have to wait years for a chance to settle, and chances are the clouds would blow over by then, chances are the Uptown revelers would be more diverse, because instead of it being "CIAA weekend again" it will be "the CIAA is coming back to  Charlotte after X number of years" and lastly, but not least, games will actually fill seats with locals who consider it an occasion, and much of the "crowd" Uptown will be the educated, distinguished attendees that more accurately represent HBCU's in this country, and will help to drive the punk and thugs who attend these troublesome "unauthorized events" to the fringes, and possibly out of Charlotte altogether. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

As a person of color who has attended a NASCAR car event with the stars and bars flying my son and I def felt unwelcomed and will never return to another.  Secondly, you talk about its more of a fasion show; yes it is.  Thats part of the culture.  If we all tried to learn a little about each other the fear of something or someone different from you goes away.  I have travelled around the world and tried to immerse myself in host county  culture just to learn and not be afraid.  What I have found is if you are genuine and don't come across as a closed minded pretnetious jerk people will reciprocate the kindness.  Plus they are amazed at an American who isn't a moron.  Presently we are in Oklahoma and I am trying to work up the nerve to go to a rodeo.  I am certain we will feel out of place but that has never stopped us before.  While I know there is subculture of ignorance surrounding the CIAA I do think the event is worthwhile and has its merits.  

Don’t talk to me like I’m not well traveled, I’m talking about my experience here in America. 

And I’m sorry you felt “threatened” by the stars and bars, I’m personally not a fan of the flag, but the original meaning has been so watered down that while the sight of it might be a reminder of a hurtful past, I don’t think you have to worry about being lynched at speed street, wherea’s a few places I frequent have been the sights of random shootings on CIAA weekend. And that does scare me and rightfully scares any law abiding citizen, white, black, yellow or green. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

Have you guys checked Charlotte’s crime statistics for the other 51 weekends of the year when the tournament is not in Town????

I get it, having 100,000 to 150,000 “urban” people uptown for the CIAA tournament can be difficult for some people to adjust to. Three to four days out of the year appears to be too big of an inconvenience for many people, economic benefits be damned. This passive racism has got to stop. Please consider all of the facts first before posting. These comments are hurtful not only to me but to many other members of Urban Planet who are a part of the very same demographic. Some your fellow posters are quiet when these comments are made for various reasons including but not limited to the desire for acceptance, or just simply being numb to racist comments. I am guilty of this as well.  There are ways to be address specific issues in a non offensive manner (see @CLT2014 ‘s comment above).  Everyone on UP should be afforded the same respect. 

Many of the NBA All Star parties referenced in an earlier post attracted the very same demographic of people at even higher numbers! No one complained because of the prestige that comes with hosting an All Star Game.  

I’ll end with this, please consider the very reason why HBCU’s exist in the first place. The CIAA is more than a basketball tournament, it’s a homecoming for most.  North Carolina has more HBCUs than most states. North Carolinians in the HBCU community are proud of this fact.  The people attending these events have stronger connections to Charlotte and North Carolina in general than many of transplants that currently live in Charlotte.  

I am more than happy to engage in dialogue via DM or phone for those who wish to understand my position in greater detail. 

Maybe you missed the uproar there was when it was announced that the RNC was coming to town.  Haphazardly throwing around accusations of racism doesn't strengthen your argument and you are pretty much generalizing an entire city.  The criticism that the CIAA gets is very minimal in my opinion.  If CPAC was held here and some 'right wing' nut job attending the event fired 100 rounds in Uptown striking peoples homes and cars, the event would never be welcomed back.  The CIAA always takes the easy way out and says "well its not an officially sanctioned event" and everyone goes on with their day.

Also, I have never seen anyone criticize the tournament itself, the schools, or the players.  Its the element that comes along, these rappers that are playing war in our city streets should not be welcomed.  The guy who was the target of the 100 rounds was back in Charlotte the next year ready for war with his bullet proof vehicles.  If I had a family, why would I risk their safety knowing what can happen when two feuding rappers cross paths in uptown Charlotte?

Also I love the undertone of your message, you are basically saying its ok for you to generalize people and still maintain victim status.  Even if you dont make racist comments (where?) you are still racist because you must secretly support it.  If thats how you really feel then theres  really no way to have a productive dialogue with you.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

As a person of color who has attended a NASCAR car event with the stars and bars flying my son and I def felt unwelcomed and will never return to another.  Secondly, you talk about its more of a fasion show; yes it is.  Thats part of the culture.  If we all tried to learn a little about each other the fear of something or someone different from you goes away.  I have travelled around the world and tried to immerse myself in host county  culture just to learn and not be afraid.  What I have found is if you are genuine and don't come across as a closed minded pretnetious jerk people will reciprocate the kindness.  Plus they are amazed at an American who isn't a moron.  Presently we are in Oklahoma and I am trying to work up the nerve to go to a rodeo.  I am certain we will feel out of place but that has never stopped us before.  While I know there is subculture of ignorance surrounding the CIAA I do think the event is worthwhile and has its merits.  

Im sure if you go to anywhere with a chip on your shoulder you will find or invent some reason to justify it.  Also lol at preaching open mindedness and then calling all Americans morons.  You must have a gold medal in mental gymnastics.  

Edited by Dandy Chiggens
  • Like 1