Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

3 hours ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

Maybe you missed the uproar there was when it was announced that the RNC was coming to town.  Haphazardly throwing around accusations of racism doesn't strengthen your argument and you are pretty much generalizing an entire city.  The criticism that the CIAA gets is very minimal in my opinion.  If CPAC was held here and some 'right wing' nut job attending the event fired 100 rounds in Uptown striking peoples homes and cars, the event would never be welcomed back.  The CIAA always takes the easy way out and says "well its not an officially sanctioned event" and everyone goes on with their day.

Also, I have never seen anyone criticize the tournament itself, the schools, or the players.  Its the element that comes along, these rappers that are playing war in our city streets should not be welcomed.  The guy who was the target of the 100 rounds was back in Charlotte the next year ready for war with his bullet proof vehicles.  If I had a family, why would I risk their safety knowing what can happen when two feuding rappers cross paths in uptown Charlotte?

Also I love the undertone of your message, you are basically saying its ok for you to generalize people and still maintain victim status.  Even if you dont make racist comments (where?) you are still racist because you must secretly support it.  If thats how you really feel then theres  really no way to have a productive dialogue with you.  

Dandy, I think I’m missing the point you’re trying to make. What does the uproar over the RNC have to do with anything I wrote in my post?  What is the equivalence between the CIAA basketball tournament and the RNC or CPAC? How am I haphazardly throwing around accusations of racism?  I am calling out specific posts that are clearly racist, while at the same time ensuring that I do not call the poster racist.  I fully understand that making a racist post doesn’t necessarily mean the poster is racist. I never generalized the city of Charlotte as I do not believe either myself or you are qualified to speak for the City as a whole.  Charlotte is an amazing City full of open minded people.  I will not address any of the hypothetical scenarios that you raised in your post because I believe they detract from my overall point. 

I will address the crowd “element” that you described in your post, and also give you the benefit of the doubt I feel you deserve. I assume you are addressing the Hip Hop community in general. These artist are a part of the most popular genre of music in the U.S.. They perform for crowds of all ethinicities all over the world in places mostly without incident.  Any two people fueding can lead to a violent situation no matter what they do as a profession.  Please let me know if you are referring to any other element. 

Calling out racism and asking for more consideration to be given to posts on topics involving these matters on behalf of myself and other posters is by no means calling myself and the other posters victims. I am only asking for mutual respect.  Again, violence during large events can be addressed in a way that does not  single out the CIAA basketball tournament. I will never generalize anyone on this site including you. I believe there are opportunities for people on both sides of the spectrum to gain better understanding. I don’t mind facilitating some of that dialogue via a separate platform. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

Don’t talk to me like I’m not well traveled, I’m talking about my experience here in America. 

And I’m sorry you felt “threatened” by the stars and bars, I’m personally not a fan of the flag, but the original meaning has been so watered down that while the sight of it might be a reminder of a hurtful past, I don’t think you have to worry about being lynched at speed street, wherea’s a few places I frequent have been the sights of random shootings on CIAA weekend. And that does scare me and rightfully scares any law abiding citizen, white, black, yellow or green. 

Watered down.  i respect your opinion but disagree on some points.  Pretty sure there are folks who still pledge allegiance too every facet of what that flag stands for right now in your town on your block.  I replied to your statement saying people of color would feel more welcomed and not out of place at event at NASCAR.  I pointed out that was not the case.  I don't care if you agree or not but its the truth, I didn't.  Didn't deter my mission of showing my son a good time.  My experience is what it is and I don't make excuses and blame.  I see and talk the truth.  Something many citizens don't want to do.  I hate ignorance from any angle whether spouting pure hate or perpetuating long held sterotypes about a race.

I have spent 23 years not only serving my country but also trying to be an example for young men and women of color they have choices to break the evil stigma that follows us.  I don't like what is going on in my beloved country right now.  I would have thought in year 2019 the issue of race would have gotten worse or is that just perception.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

Im sure if you go to anywhere with a chip on your shoulder you will find or invent some reason to justify it.  Also lol at preaching open mindedness and then calling all Americans morons.  You must have a gold medal in mental gymnastics.  

No I was called a moron and chose to change.  And no I don't have a chip on my shoulder but I make sure I don't walk around like I deserve with a "kick me" sign taped on my back.  Always on guard in any crowd.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

Watered down.  i respect your opinion but disagree on some points.  Pretty sure there are folks who still pledge allegiance too every facet of what that flag stands for right now in your town on your block.  I replied to your statement saying people of color would feel more welcomed and not out of place at event at NASCAR.  I pointed out that was not the case.  I don't care if you agree or not but its the truth, I didn't.  Didn't deter my mission of showing my son a good time.  My experience is what it is and I don't make excuses and blame.  I see and talk the truth.  Something many citizens don't want to do.  I hate ignorance from any angle whether spouting pure hate or perpetuating long held sterotypes about a race.

I have spent 23 years not only serving my country but also trying to be an example for young men and women of color they have choices to break the evil stigma that follows us.  I don't like what is going on in my beloved country right now.  I would have thought in year 2019 the issue of race would have gotten worse or is that just perception.  

So your anecdotal evidence is every "person of colors" truth?

There is a huge problem with putting everyone into categories and assuming their outlook/feelings/opinions based on what boxes you choose to put them in.  

44 minutes ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

55 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

I'm in the automotive trade and, regretfully, I can clearly see how this is a problem.  I'll never forget when Michelle Obama was booed off the stage at a NASCAR event.  She had to be ushered out for fear of her life.  I used to know Wendell Scott. Some of the stories he shared were very enlightening. To say the least.  Like a time when there was a massive pileup and no ambulance would take him to the hospital.  Crazy stuff.  

3 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

I'm in the automotive trade and, regretfully, I can clearly see how this is a problem.  I'll never forget when Michelle Obama was booed off the stage at a NASCAR event.  She had to be ushered out for fear of her life.  I used to know Wendell Scott. Some of the stories he shared were very enlightening. To say the least.  Like a time when there was a massive pileup and no ambulance would take him to the hospital.  Crazy stuff.  

Yea it was just like the time Hillary Clinton was ducking sniper fire in Bosnia!

I am indifferent towards NASCAR but I love how its perfectly ok to paint everyone involved in NASCAR whether it be fan or 'athlete' as a racist.

Yet it is unacceptable to say the CIAA events can attract some unsavory characters.

I guess your bigotry is divine.  

This banter about the CIAA tournament and how people feel about it is exactly why it needs to leave the Queen city. We are so above it. We host the DNC,NBA All-Star, ACC tournaments all the time, The RN.....whatever in 2020. We have graduated above the CIAA. Baltimore needs it more, and it will not cause the attention it has recently caused in Charlotte. Crime is crime and in this case it involves a mostly African-American crowd. Swallow the bitter pill, and let's consider this whoo-ha of a conversation DONE. #stfu

This banter about the CIAA tournament and how people feel about it is exactly why it needs to leave the Queen city. We are so above it. We host the DNC,NBA All-Star, ACC tournaments all the time, The RN.....whatever in 2020. We have graduated above the CIAA. Baltimore needs it more, and it will not cause the attention it has recently caused in Charlotte. Crime is crime and in this case it involves a mostly African-American crowd. Swallow the bitter pill, and let's consider this whoo-ha of a conversation DONE. #stfu

On 3/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, navigator319 said:

Double shooting last night at the AC hotel at Epicenter.  CIAA  weekend good riddance.  Baltimore all yours 

Amen,  CIAA enjoy B-more. We enjoyed your looooong stay. But all good things , the millions you spent while NOT attending the actual basketball games, and yes even the bad things, 100 rounds of gun shots, must come to an end. In this case It's not painful to say goodbye.

Amen,  CIAA enjoy B-more. We enjoyed your looooong stay. But all good things , the millions you spent while NOT attending the actual basketball games, and yes even the bad things, 100 rounds of gun shots, must come to an end. In this case It's not painful to say goodbye.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:20 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

Not knocking anybody's point here because I like the discussion, just giving facts. At least 4 people were shot and murdered during the all star weekend. Granted some were coincidental but at least 2 could have been because of all star related parties (definitely the one at the strip club). Now continue discussion...

Soooooo goodbye All Star Weekend don't come back with your crime? 

Exactly, every event will bring extra crime but it doesn't negate the benefits of those events. I just think using a crime or two, though violent and deadly for those involved, as justification for losing a highly beneficial event for the entire city as lazy reasoning. IF, that is our benchmark for whether we as a city want an event, we gotta be equal and fair for all events. Or we're setting up ourselves for percieved racism. All-Star gone, CIAA gone, ACC gone, and (what everybody wants) the Super Bowl never comes here. I like this discussion and enjoy hearing others opinion whether they want an event or not, just don't give weak reasons why we shouldn't have it because it's the event you don't attend. The crimes that happened during the CIAA could've happened just as easily during any one of these other events, and did. Any bigger event will draw more crime, address that crime equally. 

Off soapbox, continue conversation...

Edited by 11 HouseBZ
  • Like 3

anyway....

DeCock is a sportswriter for the Raleigh News and Observer and Permar is a sports radio guy in the Triangle.

I honestly think Charlotte could easily host 200+ arena events a year, there are very few other locations in the South where this mix of infrastructure exists.  IMO Atlanta isn't a competitor  (because their downtown sucks so bad)

The lack of events in the summer has long irked me. I would totally attend whatever arena football/monster truck/circdusol stuff they put on as long as the AC was cranking. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, navigator319 said:

I am here is beautiful Switzerland for work at the moment and as per usual I came in early to enjoy a new place.  I spent yesterday getting out of Zurich and into the mountains and lakes.  Went cable car and cog wheel train up to Mt. Rigi which is on Lake Lucern

To my surprise as I climb this radio tower, the 25% you can, and there is a group of 3 local guys 20-25 YO enjoying a 'Sunday trip' and smoking what 'smelled' like some of the best 420 with some music playing .  Anyway we get talking and what do you know they know Charlotte.  Specifically referenced the NBA All Star Game that we just had and what a nice city.  Not only that, one of them commented on oh you have 'really cool buildings in Charlotte' .  What a great day it was. 

Hope they shared!  We could really use some legalization here.

17 hours ago, Scribe said:

Typical Raleigh... even the compliments have to be diluted with jabs/diversions/etc (i.e. sucker for ACC hoops).

Enjoy your tiny downtown - we don't need your compliments!

Enjoy having no plans for any rail now that Duke nixed the Orange Line

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...