Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Okay I am watching this show so you don't have to "Married at First Sight"

It is taking place in Charlotte this season and follows 4 couples all from Charlotte married at first sight but matched behind the scenes etc you can read all about it if you want.  Lots online about it. 

However the thing that comes through whether these couples make it after 8 weeks or not is the city of Charlotte is shining through.  They rented all the couples apartments at Solis Southpark so they have their own nests as opposed to their homes before.  All went on 1 month anniversary 'dates' including one couple  atop the Omni Hotel pool deck.  Another  at Oak Steakhouse in Southpark. Lots and lots of shots of the skyline every time they transition from one couple to another.  Epicenter is shown a lot as is the light rail and of course the skyline.  Filmed in early spring married in late March and now spring in Charlotte and we all know have beautiful it is here.    Anyway this show gets millions of viewers being exposed to Charlotte probably for the first time.  Even Legacy is getting some love in the shots!  Only one crazy couple from what I see but every town has 'em! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LKN704 said:

The dirt bike/ATV issue is a HUGE problem in DC...driving on the other side of the road in rush hour traffic,  running red lights, etc. Never seen it before in CLT.

MPD has a policy in DC of not chasing them unless some other crime was committed. 

There is one group here in Charlotte that is nowhere the size that I have seen in other cities, but they have been pretty regularly rolling up N. Tryon and then all the way down Matheson every few days. Honestly most of them go slower than regular traffic on Matheson and just pull wheelies but I haven't seen anything as reckless as the videos online. Nowhere near enough police presence here to do something about it

15 hours ago, LKN704 said:

The dirt bike/ATV issue is a HUGE problem in DC...driving on the other side of the road in rush hour traffic,  running red lights, etc. Never seen it before in CLT.

MPD has a policy in DC of not chasing them unless some other crime was committed. 

I've seen ATVs on the highway in NYC a few times. No sure how this is legal.

21 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

First, I'm not a police officer so don't hold me to this but...

I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to pursue  dirt bikes/4 wheelers/etc. UNLESS said person was witnessed or suspected of serious crimes. The bad part is the people on bikes and the like know this and will blatantly ride in front of officers doing wheelies and such.  Now the above case the person was suspected of assualt (serious crime) hence the pursuit. But in cases where the people are riding and are not suspected of or are witness to serious crime they may not be able to initiate pursuit. They have to weigh the pursuit vs the risk to the public if they do pursue. 

TL;DR: I'm not sure how much crack down will happen if it doesn't involve serious crime. 

See CMPD's Interactive Directive Guide 600-22

Should be first result if you Google "CMPD pursuit policy".

I hope this helps anybody with questions. 

How about they just pull out their weapon and shoot them?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 4:29 PM, sclark said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/workers-are-fleeing-big-cities-for-small-onesand-taking-their-jobs-with-them-11567848600

Charlotte highlighted as a top destination for those relocating from NYC and Chicago. 

I was chatting with uhaul on my move and they notified me that people are actually moving back. Their main argument is that cost of living is increasing and their reduced incomes are no longer more than what they made in the North. I found this interesting and never looked at it that way. Learn something new everyday.

The points guy did a remarkably in-depth analysis of Lufthansa award availability from the US.

they left out Charlotte.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/lufthansa-first-class-expertflyer/

EDIT: I just looked and Lufthansa has way more US destinations than I had assumed. This isn't really a fair criticism.

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I find that un-traveled people out west, when they hear Charlotte,  get it confused with Charlottesville and sometimes Charleston. And some people think it's in Virginia. 

Those who know, know.

just like I get confused when I hear New York or is that York PA or York SC and when I hear San Jose I am thinking San Jose Costa Rica. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, nakers2 said:

NOT a political post, but Greta Thunberg, the young climate change activist, will be in Charlotte to join some local environmentalists on Friday. This is part of an ongoing series of weekly protests led by local activist Mary Ellis Stevens. 

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/environmental-activist-greta-thunberg-to-be-in-charlotte-to-join-young-protesters/1005945017

Mary Ellis is pretty remarkable, glad to hear she is starting to get some traction beyond Charlotte.

• Like 2