Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

18 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I find that un-traveled people out west, when they hear Charlotte,  get it confused with Charlottesville and sometimes Charleston. And some people think it's in Virginia. 

Those who know, know.

I actually just met a person who’s moved here from Charleston.

11 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

The reason Vieques, Puerto Rico(the target location for the Charlotte International House Hunters from above) is authentic and little known is that for decades it was a US military bombing test island. Protests from locals put an end to that some years ago. Unexploded ordnance and inaccessibility (an island off of an island) made it difficult to develop.

And the old naval land is a massive natural area now with wild horses and amazing beaches! Sounds like somewhere I'd love to visit tbh.

I've honestly NEVER come across someone who thought Charlotte was Charleston or Charlottesville. I have met plenty of people who just simply didn't know where or what it was but not confusing it with one of those other cities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

And the old naval land is a massive natural area now with wild horses and amazing beaches! Sounds like somewhere I'd love to visit tbh.

I've honestly NEVER come across someone who thought Charlotte was Charleston or Charlottesville. I have met plenty of people who just simply didn't know where or what it was but not confusing it with one of those other cities.

Oh I have.  I was out west in US somewhere can't remember and I said Charlotte and their response was oh yeah love those horse drawn carriage tours.   (Chucktown SC) 

But I was also in Fiji and said I was from Charlotte  in USA to an Australian and he says NASCAR!  Give that mate a Fosters. 

But in generally people are very insular and this is especially true of Americans unfortunately.  I have always loved geography and collected maps since I was a kid ( and I have plenty of printed maps now too)   My travels make me appreciate HOME in the Carolinas even more! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2019 at 2:34 PM, tarhoosier said:

There is so much evidence every day that an overwhelming number of people are unaware, if not willingly so, of science, economics, basic mathematics, and so much more. To expect the common person to be reasonable aware of geography is to set oneself for disappointment.

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Oh I have.  I was out west in US somewhere can't remember and I said Charlotte and their response was oh yeah love those horse drawn carriage tours.   (Chucktown SC) 

But I was also in Fiji and said I was from Charlotte  in USA to an Australian and he says NASCAR!  Give that mate a Fosters. 

But in generally people are very insular and this is especially true of Americans unfortunately.  I have always loved geography and collected maps since I was a kid ( and I have plenty of printed maps now too)   My travels make me appreciate HOME in the Carolinas even more! 

One World Nations Online describes Charlotte this way:   

"The satellite view shows Charlotte, largest city, a transportation hub, and the seat of Mecklenburg County in North Carolina in the United States.  The most unknown major city in the US is located some miles east of the Catawba River in the Piedmont region in the south-central part of North Carolina, about 400 mi (645 km) south west of Washington, DC, and 245 mi (395 km) north east of Atlanta, GA."

The Nations Online story includes an interactive Google map of the City of Charlotte and 2 photos  -

Skyline  of Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

Image: Mate Gary Ward

Bank of America and Hearst Tower, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

Image: jbarreiros

Links:  https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_Charlotte.htm

https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/about.html

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Perhaps they were referring to the horse drawn carriage tours of downtown and 4th Ward?  They start at the little plaza by Coco & The Director and work their way all through 4W.

Just now, turbocraig said:

Perhaps they were referring to the horse drawn carriage tours of downtown and 4th Ward?  They start at the little plaza by Coco & The Director and work their way all through 4W.

No they mentioned how historical the city was and that is one thing people don't say about Charlotte.  I do know of those carriage tours. 

• Like 1

One World Nations Online describes Charlotte this way:   
"The satellite view shows Charlotte, largest city, a transportation hub, and the seat of Mecklenburg County in North Carolina in the United States.  The most unknown major city in the US is located some miles east of the Catawba River in the Piedmont region in the south-central part of North Carolina, about 400 mi (645 km) south west of Washington, DC, and 245 mi (395 km) north east of Atlanta, GA."
The Nations Online story includes an interactive Google map of the City of Charlotte and 2 photos  -
US-Navy-Members-Charlotte.jpg&key=be6151b6bccda5f11ceeb973110b620ae4329e013fb74fad40600d6ef7f87185
Image: Mate Gary Ward
Bank-of-America-Hearst-Tower-Charlotte-NC.jpg&key=03d480a243a2b8bf7c3c48819cb9c1af6e4541fc9c630630c7165167ed65c241
Image: jbarreiros
Links:  https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_Charlotte.htm
https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/about.html

Gotta love when people use 13 year old photos of uptown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Estimated Homeless Pop. of Major U.S. Cities per the 2018 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR)

Charlotte's total est. homeless pop. ranked 34th out of 48 U.S. cities in this survey.

City                                                   Homeless Pop.               Unsheltered Pop.

1.    New York City                             78,676                                      3,711

2.    Los Angeles                                   49,955                                  37,570

3.    Seattle                                             12,112                                     6,320

4.    San Diego                                         8,576                                     4,990

5.    San Jose                                            7,254                                     5,448

6.    District of Columbia                  6,904                                         600

7.    San Francisco                                 6,857                                     4,353

8.    Phoenix                                             6,298                                     2,618

9.    Boston                                               6,188                                        163

10. Las Vegas                                          6,083                                     3,884

11. Philadelphia                                    5,788                                     1,083

12. Oakland                                            5,496                                      3,863

13. Chicago                                             5,450                                     1,357

14. Denver                                               5,317                                     1,308

15. Houston                                            4,143                                     1,614

16. Dallas                                                  4,121                                    1,341

17. Portland                                            4,019                                     1,668 

18. Sacramento                                     3,621                                     2,052

19. Miami                                                  3,516                                    1,030

20. Atlanta                                               3,076                                         740                

21. San Antonio                                    3,066                                     1,353

22. Minneapolis                                    3,013                                         404 

23. Baltimore                                          2,508                                        546

24. Nashville                                           2,298                                         616

25. Austin                                                 2,147                                     1,014

26. Fresno                                                2,144                                      1,681

27. Fort Worth                                       2,015                                        678

28. Long Beach                                      1,873                                    1,208

29. Columbus                                         1,807                                         288

30. Kansas City                                     1,798                                         324

31. Jacksonville                                    1,794                                          429

32. Detroit                                               1,769                                         158

33. Indianapolis                                    1,682                                         136

34. Charlotte                                          1,668                                         209

35. Colorado Springs                          1,551                                         513

36. Omaha                                                 1,411                                           64

37. Tucson                                                 1,380                                        363

38. Albuquerque                                   1,340                                        384

39. Memphis                                           1,226                                         102

40. New Orleans                                   1,188                                         594 

41. Oklahoma City                               1,183                                        394

42. Tulsa                                                      1,083                                       226

43. Raleigh                                                     983                                       192

44. Louisville                                                926                                        153

45. El Paso                                                     892                                        177

46. Milwaukee                                             871                                        161

47. Wichita                                                    573                                           58

48. Virginia Beach                                     243                                           72

Link:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/07/48-major-us-cities-struggling-to-shelter-growing-homeless-population/40242171/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Note to self: Never fly Spirit they don't know where Charlotte is and I have NEVER seen us confused with Charleston WV Charleston SC yes but west by God virginia never. 

I will stick with American and Southwest. 

I posted this shortly after purchasing tickets on Spirit from EWR - CLT  <_<

• Haha 4

When The First 48 was filming they contacted Rodney Monroe, Chief of Police. He agreed to allow them to follow his murder investigations. They filmed maybe two or three before Mayor Anthony Foxx learned of it (so he said) and prohibited further co-operation. I watched one episode and it was a north Charlotte neighborhood where people live much of their life in public and someone was found in the street dead. There was an eyewitness who saw a man with an arm  in a cast who frequented the neighborhood and he was found within an hour or two and confessed and that was it. It took some stretching to make it fit one hour of programming and was a visit to the depths of life that Dickens and Hugo knew. It was more pathetic than the usual of that type of program. No criminal operations, no profit from drugs or robbery, no fear of police, refusing to speak to investigators. I declined the honor of watching another.

Addendum: Foxx knew that the show portrayed cities as dangerous with streets out of control. It was  a police glory program. I support his prohibition and cannot imagine Vi Lyles agreeing to it now.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1