Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

I had a producer who worked for me who left to be an AP on The First 48 in Charlotte.  She worked on all the Charlotte episodes, then joined Discovery Networks in NYC to produce others.  It was more than two or three episodes during 2011 (edit: looks like about 6 total).  The story as I understand it is with the DNC coming in 2012, the city didn't need that kind of publicity leading up to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

Looks like we're getting a sitcom set in Charlotte. From the Hollywood Reporter via the Charlotte Ledger:

Fox is getting into the Stephen Curry business.

The independent broadcast network has handed out a script order (with a penalty attached) to The Second Half, a multicamera comedy that is being exec produced by Will Arnett and Golden State Warriors superstar Curry.

The Second Half takes a humorous look at a retired NBA player who moves back home to Charlotte, buys a car wash and struggles to reconnect with his father, daughter, ex-girlfriend and childhood best friend. He starts to realize that when it comes to the game of life, he's going to need a lot more practice.

Pretty awesome!

They could consult with MJ too.  His dad used to have an auto parts company out on Beatties Ford.  MJ and his brother worked there a while. (Used to be a customer).  Like all family businesses, I'm sure they had their interesting times, and I guess auto parts isn't too far distant from car washes.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:34 PM, Madison Parkitect said:

Looking forward to seeing which LA neighborhood they use as a stand-in for Charlotte.

Just imagine, if the NCGA hadn't torpedoed the NC film industry, they'd be filming in Charlotte. 

I think this now makes three series actually based in North Carolina.

• Like 1

Had my friends visiting from Richmond this weekend and they lived in Austin for 8 years.  One of them had not been in Charlotte in about 7-8 years.   He was amazed at the growth, drove through Camp North End where their Mistletoe Market and ReinDog  parade was happening Sat afternoon.  They both said looks like Austin.  Then down Graham and turned at 5th St because of ACC Championship game with the sea of Orange everywhere.  Then down 5th St past the bars and clubs and he said I don't remember so much nightlife before looks like Austin.  Then past the Spectrum Arena where the Trans Siberian Orchestra was getting ready to play again bustling. Every parking lot full.  Then over to Stonewall St and I told him every building in this area was completed in the last few years.  Then left on S Tryon as a line of cars was lined up coming into uptown for the game or other reasons backed up past Morehead.  Then down through Southend over by OMB.  Again packed to the gills with people a Christmas market there or something too.  Extremely crowded  If Austin is Keep it Weird how about this for Charlotte (my idea)  Keeper of the Money!  anyway very impressed with the new Charlotte (which we know is rapidly changing)  Only negative he noticed a lot of people begging for money at highway interchanges like Austin but not as bad as the problem there.  I told them you know the saying Charlotte Gotta Lot!

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Had my friends visiting from Richmond this weekend and they lived in Austin for 8 years.  One of them had not been in Charlotte in about 7-8 years.   He was amazed at the growth, drove through Camp North End where their Mistletoe Market and ReinDog  parade was happening Sat afternoon.  They both said looks like Austin.  Then down Graham and turned at 5th St because of ACC Championship game with the see of Orange everywhere.  Then down 5th St past the bars and clubs and he said I don't remember so much nightlife before looks like Austin.  Then past the Spectrum Arena where the Trans Siberian Orchestra was getting ready to play again bustling. Every parking lot full.  Then over to Stonewall St and I told him every building in this area was completed in the last few years.  Then left on S Tryon as a line of cars was lined up coming into uptown for the game or other reasons backed up past Morehead.  Then down through Southend over by OMB.  Again packed to the gills with people a Christmas market there or something too.  Extremely crowded  If Austin is Keep it Weird how about this for Charlotte (my idea)  Keeper of the Money!  anyway very impressed with the new Charlotte (which we know is rapidly changing)  Only negative he noticed a lot of people begging for money at highway interchanges like Austin but not as bad as the problem there.  I told them you know the saying Charlotte Gotta Lot!

I drive UBER part time and I had a two guys last night that one of them was complaining after I picked them up from Duckworths uptown.  He said that he didn’t even know that the Clemson game was being held uptown.  And said that with that it’s still felt like a “Ghost town”.  I think he was from Florida.  I assured him that he was on the wrong side of uptown perhaps and that there is also a lot of activity in south end etc.  he said same thing happened on Halloween.  It is weird however that the northern side of uptown definitely seems way more quiet than the south side.  I dropped them off at OMB so I’m sure they were impressed or at least I hope so

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I drive UBER part time and I had a two guys last night that one of them was complaining after I picked them up from Duckworths uptown.  He said that he didn’t even know that the Clemson game was being held uptown.  And said that with that it’s still felt like a “Ghost town”.  I think he was from Florida.  I assured him that he was on the wrong side of uptown perhaps and that there is also a lot of activity in south end etc.  he said same thing happened on Halloween.  It is weird however that the northern side of uptown definitely seems way more quiet than the south side.  I dropped them off at OMB so I’m sure they were impressed or at least I hope so

well when I drove through uptown around 5 515 pm last night it was anything but.  It was chaotic so much traffic, people walking, tailgaters, etc.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

What time of day was this? I was around that area Saturday and it seemed very active. Nutcracker was being let out of blumenthal, the xmas village right next to duckworth's was packed. I mean it's not disney world crowded but it was nice. They had pop up shops in the Atrium where the marriot/nektar juice are. The grand bohemian site and trade st work was extremely active with workers. The weather was excellent. A great weekend for ACC championship and Uptown was in full force this weekend for all the visitors. 

But there is definitely a different vibe on the north vs south tryon. Think the intercontinental will help a lot but the library and all other proposed stuff needs to come to fruition too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Be interesting to know where in Florida they were from. I’m a Florida boy and there ain’t too many downtowns there active after dark, except in selected precincts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Trying to make sense of this post.

The NC State Government changed the laws regarding reimbursing production companies that film in the area. I think they were originally reimbursed up to 25% or so? I could be wrong. NC, especially the Wilmington area, had a lot of tv shows filmed. The new laws that passed capped the statewide reimbursement for filming to just a few million dollars I think, which filming easily eats up. The film industry dried up and left. Moved to other states that had better incentives.

• Thanks 4

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

Be interesting to know where in Florida they were from. I’m a Florida boy and there ain’t too many downtowns there active after dark, except in selected precincts.

Uptown Charlotte this past Saturday night was no South Beach but there were a lot of people on the streets between the concert at Spectrum, all these other events and of course the game.  Well if they got dropped off at OMB it was packed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Uptown Charlotte this past Saturday night was no South Beach but there were a lot of people on the streets between the concert at Spectrum, all these other events and of course the game.  Well if they got dropped off at OMB it was packed.

And there is only one South Beach in Florida. And it’s a world attraction that happens to reside in a dense area. All other Florida downtowns are like Uptown, mix of lively and dead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

And there is only one South Beach in Florida. And it’s a world attraction that happens to reside in a dense area. All other Florida downtowns are like Uptown, mix of lively and dead.

yes I been to most of them and some are not as lively as uptown for sure.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Temeteron said:

A few years back, getting this kind of comment myself would make me downright-angry, as it was all too common and even half a decade ago rather baseless, but nowadays I realize that's a pretty standard complaint for tourists who don't know where to be in a new city to find the best it offers.

I went to Denver (CO) for vacation earlier this summer, and walking around their downtown I was SHOCKED at the lack of street activity. And this was on Colorado Day (according to locals there I talked to) when state park facilities were supposed to be discounted or free, and it still felt like the least-walked city of that size I've ever been to. Later on though, I thought about it and realized there was no way I was going to be in exactly the right hotspots at the right time to see the peak of activity or offerings.

Some people never have that presence of mind, and honestly, I don't expect them to. We're all stupid when we're tourists anywhere. :tw_lol:

Edited by Eightane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Eightane said:

A few years back, getting this kind of comment myself would make me downright-angry, as it was all too common and even half a decade ago rather baseless, but nowadays I realize that's a pretty standard complaint for tourists who don't know where to be in a new city to find the best it offers.

I went to Denver (CO) for vacation earlier this summer, and walking around their downtown I was SHOCKED at the lack of street activity. And this was on Colorado Day (according to locals there I talked to) when state park facilities were supposed to be discounted or free, and it still felt like the least-walked city of that size I've ever been to. Later on though, I thought about it and realized there was no way I was going to be in exactly the right hotspots at the right time to see the peak of activity or offerings.

Some people never have that presence of mind, and honestly, I don't expect them to. We're all stupid when we're tourists anywhere. :tw_lol:

It's funny you mention Denver.  We just returned from checking it out during Thanksgiving. It seemed pretty crowded toward the north end of 16th Street for us, but yeah, it wasn't all that.  Later on, I went on a quest for empanadas and found my place pretty far south of downtown. "Maria's" was located in an area very similar to NoDa,  I can't remember what they called the area. One thing I noticed about Denver, after someone on urbanplanet noted:  Downtown Denver is practically encircled by a moat of industry.  Charlotte, except for perhaps the north end (and that's changing) goes from uptown to residential.  That really will help in the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eightane said:

I had a similar experience in Minneapolis.  The streets are dead....activity that might have been on the streets was scurrying around their "skywalks" like mice in tubes.  At night, the streets were downright scary.