Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

It’s unfortunate but the same thing can be said for most of out of state people’s opinion or perspective of NC along I-95.  Ghost towns.   I’ve heard it so many times.  Sad thing is they don’t realize that our big metros are not in that area(Raleigh is close).  So unless people actually come to Charlotte, Raleigh or Greensboro etc, their only perspective of what they see is a random Waffle House and Bojangels with gigantic sign from the highway and those stupid South of the Border signs every mile.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I stayed in Jacksonville for a long weekend and the downtown streets were dismal - Day and Night.  Tried to ride their Monorail for ‘fun’ and it wasn’t running.   I think Charlotte’s growing very fast into a decent ‘18-Hour’ City.

Jacksonville seemed to be on the ascendant until the Great Recession hit. Shame, the St. John’s River is such an asset.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Jacksonville seemed to be on the ascendant until the Great Recession hit. Shame, the St. John’s River is such an asset.

And they are demoing their version of Epicenter (Jacksonville Landing), partially due to violence.  Charlotte has definitely benefited from the positive returns of increasing residential and office density in/near Uptown.  Jax has a lot more of that spread out and has never figured out how to revitalize their city center.

All that said, I love the Riverside/Avondale neighborhoods. Great grid, next to the river, and a strong mix of retail/bars/restaurants 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

And they are demoing their version of Epicenter (Jacksonville Landing), partially due to violence.  Charlotte has definitely benefited from the positive returns of increasing residential and office density in/near Uptown.  Jax has a lot more of that spread out and has never figured out how to revitalize their city center.

All that said, I love the Riverside/Avondale neighborhoods. Great grid, next to the river, and a strong mix of retail/bars/restaurants 

I’ll add San Marco to that list as well.  

• Like 1

That Hallmark Channel movie came out on Saturday night finally watched it.   The movie was set in NYC but most of the scenes were filmed in Charlotte.   Sophias Lounge, the Blumenthal, the Knight Theater, some scenes along 5th St were shown.  The house in south Charlotte with the fake snow stands in for Connecticut.  While it was set in NYC at the end they had a logo saying NC Film Commission or something like the Georgia peach that state uses.  Maria Howell a local was in the movie.  Maybe it lead to more filming here.  It is being repeated every day or so at some time or another.  Movie's name Christmas Love Story.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Watching "Mornings with Maria"  on Fox Business this morning and they are talking about high taxes of NY driving people out of the state.  One analyst said they are moving to FL, TX, TN and NV which he said also gets California residents then he came back and said " also to North Carolina and places like Charlotte"    We were the only state mentioned that does have an income tax albeit one of the lowest in the country for personal and corporate and Charlotte was the only city mentioned in the discussion.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Returning from a trip to Northern Europe this evening, here's how I knew for certain I was back in Charlotte:

1.  The significant number of obese, even morbidly obese, people in the Charlotte airport terminal.   On the connecting flight back to Charlotte, I sat beside a man who had to weigh at least 350 pounds; he was so large the armrest was in the upward position and he spilt over into my seat.
  2.   The non-working street lights on US 74/Independence.  75% of the lights do not work.  It's as if the road maintenance crews of the City (or the State, I don't which one is responsible (or irresponsible) for this) doesn't have the intelligence to screw in a lightbulb.  It's negligence, pure and simple negligence by Charlotte Transportation or NCDOT (or both).
  3.   Beggars standing on medians at intersections approaching stopped cars for money.  There appears to be an entire night shift of them; I suppose the day shift quits begging at sundown,
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Old Carolinian said:

Returning from a trip to Northern Europe this evening, here's how I knew for certain I was back in Charlotte:

1.  The significant number of obese, even morbidly obese, people in the Charlotte airport terminal.   On the connecting flight back to Charlotte, I sat beside a man who had to weigh at least 350 pounds; he was so large the armrest was in the upward position and he spilt over into my seat.
  2.   The non-working street lights on US 74/Independence.  75% of the lights do not work.  It's as if the road maintenance crews of the City (or the State, I don't which one is responsible (or irresponsible) for this) doesn't have the intelligence to screw in a lightbulb.  It's negligence, pure and simple negligence by Charlotte Transportation or NCDOT (or both).
  3.   Beggars standing on medians at intersections approaching stopped cars for money.  There appears to be an entire night shift of them; I suppose the day shift quits begging at sundown,

1.  The obese thing is America in general.  it’s sad yes

2.  I’ve noticed this with I-77 as well.  Certain areas are super bright and have fluorescent lighting, some areas have the more warmer color lighting  and then other areas have no light at all.  SMH

3.  Homeless And/or severely poor people are everywhere but at least in Greece, Turkey, Spain, Germany etc they try to work or sell you something.  They hustle.  Here it’s as if they are hopeless or something.  

8 hours ago, Old Carolinian said:

2.  These are NCDOT roads.  Contact the District maintenance office to complain.

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mpretori said:

If you use coupons like I do, I can eat out for as little as 5 dollars. That's time and money saved doing dishes, hours of prep, and having to buy more of the ingredient. 

4 servings of pasta can be made for that same $5 for dinner. Cooking at home is easily cheaper and healthier and the fact that people are doing it less and less is certainly contributing to our current obesity epidemic

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Carolinian said:

If you were in Sweden, I’m glad you made it back without being blown up over there.

9 hours ago, Temeteron said:

1.  The obese thing is America in general.  it’s sad yes

2.  I’ve noticed this with I-77 as well.  Certain areas are super bright and have fluorescent lighting, some areas have the more warmer color lighting  and then other areas have no light at all.  SMH

3.  Homeless And/or severely poor people are everywhere but at least in Greece, Turkey, Spain, Germany etc they try to work or sell you something.  They hustle.  Here it’s as if they are hopeless or something.  

At least we’re not LA, SF or Seattle bad. That’s something to be thankful for.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JHart said:

4 servings of pasta can be made for that same $5 for dinner. Cooking at home is easily cheaper and healthier and the fact that people are doing it less and less is certainly contributing to our current obesity epidemic

Pasta is unhealthy and spells health issues down the road.

57 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

There is no way at all you're eating out in Seattle for $5, even with coupons. I know Seattle food prices.

Not well enough :) got to know the right places. 

1 minute ago, mpretori said:

Not well enough :) got to know the right places. 

Okay, I'll bite. Where are you able to eat for as little as $5 in the Seattle area with coupons? There are tons of little hole-in-the-wall teriyaki joints where you could eat for maybe $10 but those places don't typically do coupons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Okay, I'll bite. Where are you able to eat for as little as $5 in the Seattle area with coupons? There are tons of little hole-in-the-wall teriyaki joints where you could eat for maybe $10 but those places don't typically do coupons.

There is a place near Redmond that is about 7 dollars after taxes and everything. Order and eat. No time spent cooking and grocery shopping. I can understand if you don't work or have more free time. But for me, free time is a luxury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I really and truly miss Nasai Teriyaki near UVillage. It is one of my guilty pleasures and I've not had any teriyaki  in Charlotte that compares. I also miss Dick's and Cafe Flora.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davidclt said:

I really and truly miss Nasai Teriyaki near UVillage. It is one of my guilty pleasures and I've not had any teriyaki  in Charlotte that compares. I also miss Dick's and Cafe Flora.

I miss Dick's too. There aren't any good teriyaki places here but on the other hand Seattle didn't have a single fast food hibachi place, and I like that food better so I'm good with that trade-off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I miss Dick's too. There aren't any good teriyaki places here but on the other hand Seattle didn't have a single fast food hibachi place, and I like that food better so I'm good with that trade-off.

Seattle also didn't have good pizza, Mexican or barbecue. I think the Mexican food has improved out there. Even Seattle's average Thai, Filipino and Dim Sum are better than their similar counterparts in Charlotte. I think we have better Indian and Vietnamese though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

Seattle also didn't have good pizza, Mexican or barbecue. I think the Mexican food has improved out there. Even Seattle's average Thai, Filipino and Dim Sum are better than their similar counterparts in Charlotte. I think we have better Indian and Vietnamese though.

Good barbecue was impossible to find there, but there were a million places to get really legit Mexican food in the past few years. I agree about Thai and Dim Sum, and you're right about better Indian here though I bet that's changing rapidly on the east side of the lake.

• Like 1