Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

10 minutes ago, BFG said:

I'm from Norfolk/Virginia Beach, and am constantly amazed (and highly jealous) of the growth Charlotte has had in just the last 20 years, while our region remains stagnant.

Part of that is our region's refusal to work together (Norfolk and VB have the worst case of sibling rivalry I've ever seen), and a general sense of complacency from city leaders. We probably could've had at least one pro sports team and better public transportation, but status quo is a big thing here. Outside of the military, we do very little to attract more businesses and it's frustrating. I've stayed because I see the potential for growth, but I'm slowly getting more and more impatient.

Both regions were a similar size in the 90s/early-2000s, but Charlotte continues to grow. If we had 1/10 of what y'all have had, it would be amazing.

I do think it is infighting.  You have so many cities competing there 3 big ones on the south side and 2 on the north side of the harbor.  and doesn't VA Beach have an urban growth boundary protecting the southside of the city?  Plus available land is at a premium due all your water, wetlands, rivers, swamps etc.  NC is getting overflow to the south with people buying homes in Currituck and Camden counties as they are more affordable.  You still have the tallest building in the commonwealth until Northern VA finally builds a taller one.  But boy is your port deepwater! I had friends who went to Kempsville HS in VA Beach. 

• Like 3

Apparently that growth boundary is indeed a thing, along with the Dillon Rule, which I believe prevents the cities from consolidating. It's weird because VB was a small unincorporated town; the rest of that area was known as Princess Anne County until the early-60s. Norfolk was taking land from PA left and right, so to prevent becoming part of the "big city", the county merged with the town of Virginia Beach, which eventually became the largest city in the Commonwealth.

From what I've read, Norfolk and Princess Anne County had considered a consolidation like what Charlotte and Mecklenberg County did, but PA quietly merged into VB instead. That kind of petty behavior continues nearly 60 years later and remains one of our area's biggest "What If?" situations.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BFG said:

Apparently that growth boundary is indeed a thing, along with the Dillon Rule, which I believe prevents the cities from consolidating. It's weird because VB was a small unincorporated town; the rest of that area was known as Princess Anne County until the early-60s. Norfolk was taking land from PA left and right, so to prevent becoming part of the "big city", the county merged with the town of Virginia Beach, which eventually became the largest city in the Commonwealth.

From what I've read, Norfolk and Princess Anne County had considered a consolidation like what Charlotte and Mecklenberg County did, but PA quietly merged into VB instead. That kind of petty behavior continues nearly 60 years later and remains one of our area's biggest "What If?" situations.

The cost of living is also extremely high. The area is saturated with DOD, which raises costs. I was looking at relocating to the area the prices in VB were actually more than Charlotte. No light rail also. :( Gorgeous boardwalk and beach though! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mpretori said:

The cost of living is also extremely high. The area is saturated with DOD, which raises costs. I was looking at relocating to the area the prices in VB were actually more than Charlotte. No light rail also. :( Gorgeous boardwalk and beach though! 

Ugh. Light rail. A whole another can of worms I don't even want to get into.

• Haha 1

Twice in as many weeks I’ve received poor perspectives about Charlotte from Coastal Virginia natives.

My hair stylist had to confirm the “NC” when I said I was from Charlotte. Then went on to say that she had been here twice in the past but wasn’t impressed.

Then, when discussing crime in Norfolk, a man cited Charlotte as having “burned down” during the Keith Scott riots. I set him straight, but then he went on to say that maybe I should move back before I bring more crime with me. The Keith Scott incident was very poorly publicized outside of Charlotte. Apparently all anyone here saw on the news was the blocking of the interstate, a car on fire, and break-ins (loosely) linked to the protests. I guess their anchors assumed it was a city wide issue as that’s how it was pitched to the public. “Charlotte On Fire.” Then they all moved on to the next event the media wanted to exaggerate for ratings. The real story barely made national news.

I mean, sure the homicide rate has spiked in Mecklenburg this year; but I generally don’t picture Charlotte as being a violent city compared to her peers. Hopefully new leadership reins it in.

• Sad 4

I view Charlotte as a decently safe city. It’s all about perspective though. Most cities and Downtown areas in the United States aren’t thought to be the safest areas per say, but it’s very rare that someone random murders another for no reason. Most homicides are a result of gang and drug violence, while still very sad and preventable, its all perspective on how one views. Regardless, it’s sad that the homicide rate continues to rise.

Edited by Cadi40

On 12/12/2019 at 5:05 AM, mpretori said:

If you use coupons like I do, I can eat out for as little as 5 dollars. That's time and money saved doing dishes, hours of prep, and having to buy more of the ingredient. 

Post a photo of your receipt (more than just a one-off please) or it didn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, mpretori said:

I was in Charlotte recently and the development blew my mind. Cranes everywhere! Good eating places! I will say that the city felt sterilized, maybe I walked in the wrong areas. It felt like a corporate plaza. I hope they get some more entertainment options! Overall great city! 

You need to check out south end, plaza Midwood or NoDa.  Uptown is very corporate 

I'm trying to convince my company to buy an apartment complex in Charlotte, but they are so hot on Austin and Orlando right now, it's hard to push them in the right direction.  So, a few questions for the UP crew:

1. What would you say are the best arguments for buying in Charlotte? 

2. Do you think Charlotte is currently being overbuilt with apartment right now?

3. If we were to buy in Charlotte, I think we'd want to buy in an up and coming but not yet fully discovered area.  What parts of Charlotte would qualify?  I'm thinking the South End ship may have sailed at this point since I think it might be too expensive for us.  We would probably target a value-add project.

Thanks everyone!

3 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

I'm trying to convince my company to buy an apartment complex in Charlotte, but they are so hot on Austin and Orlando right now, it's hard to push them in the right direction.  So, a few questions for the UP crew:

1. What would you say are the best arguments for buying in Charlotte?     diversified economy much more so than Orlando for example and better incomes here.  VERY high property taxes in Austin TX on everyone's radar.   

2. Do you think Charlotte is currently being overbuilt with apartment right now?  Luxury high end.  Build low rise stick built.   or buy an older complex needing updating.  

3. If we were to buy in Charlotte, I think we'd want to buy in an up and coming but not yet fully discovered area.  What parts of Charlotte would qualify?  I'm thinking the South End ship may have sailed at this point since I think it might be too expensive for us.  We would probably target a value-add project.        Class B properties Older apartment complexes in south Charlotte. Maybe dated complexes areas in the university area.   Not much of anything to buy but land in NoDa, FreeMore etc. 

Thanks everyone!

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

On 12/21/2019 at 12:49 PM, cltheel.sdl said:

1. What would you say are the best arguments for buying in Charlotte? 

2. Do you think Charlotte is currently being overbuilt with apartment right now?

3. If we were to buy in Charlotte, I think we'd want to buy in an up and coming but not yet fully discovered area.  What parts of Charlotte would qualify?  I'm thinking the South End ship may have sailed at this point since I think it might be too expensive for us.  We would probably target a value-add project.

Thanks everyone!

Thats funny, I live in CLT born and raised, but we are putting a lot of capital in Austin apartment reno's.  Market is hot hot hot

• 4 weeks later...