Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

The Journal podcast from the Wall Street Journal today is discussing the growth in Charlotte and specifically Lake Wylie and their desire to quit growing: https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/when-the-american-dream-gets-too-crowded/4CC2206F-5152-4B5A-A0C7-3E2A8073D3BE

When the American Dream Gets Too Crowded

As more and more Americans move south, Lake Wylie, a suburb of Charlotte, has tripled in size. Now, the town is saying no more. WSJ's Valerie Bauerlein explains.

Edited by davidclt
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

I have flown through the AA hubs at Phoenix, Dallas, and Chicago each within the past 10 days and Charlotte was suffixed with "NC" at each one.   I wonder if its a universal AA requirement.

No idea why I did not think to take a picture, but this morning I was walking along CLT Concourse B and passed an empty gate.   (As we all know, American Airlines runs every gate on B)  The monitor above the desk would have shown info about the next flight scheduled to depart from that gate, but I guess none was scheduled anytime soon.  So, instead, the monitor said

"Welcome to

Charlotte, NC"   

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, teeg said:

No idea why I did not think to take a picture, but this morning I was walking along CLT Concourse B and passed an empty gate.   (As we all know, American Airlines runs every gate on B)  The monitor above the desk would have shown info about the next flight scheduled to depart from that gate, but I guess none was scheduled anytime soon.  So, instead, the monitor said

"Welcome to

Charlotte, NC"   

I have met people at CLT just passing through and they do not know what state they are in believe it or not.  some think SC! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Nick, if you are serious, then the joke has to do with people flying to/through CLT airport and not knowing that Charlotte is in North Carolina. The set-up is that boarding sequence is military and first class, then business, or other preferred such as gold/premium/ airline members and so on down through groups 3, 4, 5, and then standard coach and the last is group 9, the cheapest seat for those who paid the least, have no overhead bin space, cannot choose their seats prior to boarding, have no rebooking privilege and so on. IOW those who should take the bus, and dress like it. It is for those who traffic in stereotypes, as do many jokes.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Nick, if you are serious, then the joke has to do with people flying to/through CLT airport and not knowing that Charlotte is in North Carolina. The set-up is that boarding sequence is military and first class, then business, or other preferred such as gold/premium/ airline members and so on down through groups 3, 4, 5, and then standard coach and the last is group 9, the cheapest seat for those who paid the least, have no overhead bin space, cannot choose their seats prior to boarding, have no rebooking privilege and so on. IOW those who should take the bus, and dress like it. It is for those who traffic in stereotypes, as do many jokes.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't actually fly all that often so I just simply didn't get the reference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Thanks for the explanation. I don't actually fly all that often so I just simply didn't get the reference.

I didn't get it either and I fly a couple of times a year.  I usually fly Southwest and check in early and then run to a window seat with my camera. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentally referred to Charleston as Charlotte today. So I wrote “Charlotte, South Carolina” in a document today xD caught it after the fact.  

To be fair, I’m sure I was looking at UP sometime in the middle of work Reading about Charlotte when I was supposed to be talking about the Charleston submarket

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Haha 2

I accidentally referred to Charleston as Charlotte today. So I wrote “Charlotte, South Carolina” in a document today xD caught it after the fact.  

To be fair, I’m sure I was looking at UP sometime in the middle of work Reading about Charlotte when I was supposed to be talking about the Charleston submarket

This is absolutely unforgivable!!! Jk, we’ll forgive you this time default_smile.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance someone can write to the associated press again after the RNC and ask if they think Charlotte’s name is ready to stand on it’s own without the NC? Most people I talk to know what Charlotte is. They may not know where it is, but let’s be honest, most Americans are terrible at geography anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1