Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

From the NY Times today.  I am starting to warm up to seeing ", N.C." every time Charlotte is mentioned in the news, so this article made me twice as happy.  But is Myers Park now outside of the city?          

download.png.129ce564dde0127c1321e997fa6935ad.png

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

staying at home this weekend?  you should as much as possible.  Well Hallmark Channel is doing a marathon of their Christmas movies including the one filmed in Charlotte a Christmas Love Story 4 pm on Friday.   So watch for the scenes of Charlotte including Knight Theater, Sophia's, Blumenthal, house in south Charlotte  see how many Charlotte scenes you and can see as a Charlotte stood in for the Big Apple. 

https://www.etonline.com/hallmark-channel-schedules-christmas-movie-marathon-during-self-quarantine-exclusive-143313

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, nakers2 said:

For some happy news, NPR’s (not WFAE) leading news story on the 1pm slot was about how the DNC was delayed and will now “take place the week prior to the RNC in Charlotte” no North Carolina added.

Nice.

I have to say I would be humorous if it was in Mississippi this year. It would be interesting to see that dance. :tw_triumph:

• 1 month later...

I think for a lot of Northerners, South Carolina is simply more familiar to them due to the sheer number of vacation spots/resorts in SC (Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head) that are popular for Northerners. They may know that Charlotte is in the Carolinas and associate it with SC because they know the state better. 

Also, a lot of Midwestern folk (and those from Western PA/NY, if you don't consider those to be Midwestern) ultimately take I-77 and pass through Charlotte on their way to Savannah/Myrtle Beach/Hilton Head/Charleston/Florida's Atlantic Coast. Because Charlotte is so close to the NC/SC state line, it is likely that they mentally view Charlotte as part of SC.

Before I moved to Charlotte as a teenager, we had only visited Charlotte once to look at houses, other than connecting at CLT. However, we had been to Charleston and Hilton Head several times. Other than the larger airport, the only reason that my parents chose to move to Charlotte over Raleigh was that Charlotte is closer to Charleston that Raleigh is. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phillydog said:

The Atlantic Monthly is doing a series - Images from 50 States or something like that...basically every week there's a photo shoot of a state.  When they did South Carolina, they included a picture of Charlotte that they had to remove (obviously) and apologize for the mistake.  I swear, for a bunch of people who congratulate themselves for being so smart, northerners are dumber than a brick sometimes.   (I say this as a reformed Yankee).

https://www.theatlantic.com/projects/fifty/

They also say "View From 2nd Ave Pier" when its "View of"

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte is also is a "dual-state" metropolitan area and geographically situated at the very heart of both North and South Carolina. In many ways Charlotte is the "hub" of the entire Carolinas region and thus associated with both states. We have a massive alumni base of both North and South Carolina college graduates, our airport is the primary hub for the region, we all know people that live on both sides of the border, our amusement park literally straddles the border, our water source is the state line, our cuisine is impacted by both states, and our pro sports team has an HQ in one state and a stadium in another. Some residents of Fort Mill are geographically closer to Uptown Charlotte than residents of Ballantyne or Steele Creek.

IMO, our influence in the broader Carolinas is likely only rivaled by the influence Washington DC has on Virginia and Maryland, Cincinnati has on Kentucky, Philadelphia has on New Jersey, Kansas City has on Kansas, and NYC has on Connecticut and New Jersey. Very few cities have large impacts on states technically outside their municipal limits. With South Carolina in particular, there is no other big city like Baltimore vs Washington DC, so if you want to grab a skyline pic, why not grab Charlotte and count it as SC haha.  

This. 

I believe the Charlotte metro area is technically the 3rd or 4th largest metro area in South Carolina when you add up the population of all of the counties that make up the SC side of the Charlotte metro area. I don't think it can officially be counted as such however because its principle city is not in SC but in NC. 

• Like 3

Ain't nothing scientific about any of these published lists but I think this is pretty spot-on. I have been to nearly all of these places, the only one I might half-halfheartedly argue with is Lexington.

I do think that Rocky Mount is in a dead heat with Gastown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Most seem spot on. Provo was actually geographically quite scenic and very family friendly, although you would quickly feel left out there if you weren't a LDS member. 

Albany is the weird one to me. I lived there from birth until I was 17 and looking back now I thought it was a great place to go up. Less than 3 hours away from Boston, Montreal, and roughly 3 hours from Cape Cod. About 2h30m drive to NYC. 30 mins away from beautiful Saratoga Springs and also very close to the Adirondack Mountains (home to the Winter Olympics twice and overall great atmosphere...it has this Swiss Alps type feel that I have been unable to find in any other mountain range on the East Coast). Vermont was also 30 minutes away for a nice change of scenery.  Great architecture and public schools, too...I was shocked when I came from high school in Albany that had smart boards in every class room (this was in 2007) and brand new textbooks with modest class sizes to the high school in the Charlotte suburbs that was using textbooks from the early 1990s. Of course, NYS has school taxes so it isn't a fair comparison. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Wow Lexington KY is my favorite city in that state with all the horse farms surrounding it and an urban growth boundary  Nice downtown too.  Must be a UK hater. 

Yeah, but that urban growth boundary has done squat to keep it from feeling like one of the most sprawly cities in the South. The countryside is indeed gorgeous, but the city has - IMO - little going for it otherwise. There's one decent urban neighborhood surrounded by miles of suburban sprawl and shopping centers. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Yeah, but that urban growth boundary has done squat to keep it from feeling like one of the most sprawly cities in the South. The countryside is indeed gorgeous, but the city has - IMO - little going for it otherwise. There's one decent urban neighborhood surrounded by miles of suburban sprawl and shopping centers. 

I based my Kentucky Bourbon trail tour out of Lexington maybe this is affecting my view.  But I stand with Lexington as my favorite city in Kentucky what other choices do I have really.   My favorite besides Makers Mark was Buffalo Trace in nearby Frankfort. 

https://kybourbontrail.com/map/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No "NC"...  NOT hosting the RNC may do more to advance our image than hosting it.

Headline in the Minneapolis, MN Star Tribune,  "Trump's convention demand comes amid Charlotte virus surge"

From Bloomberg,  "Trump Vows to Pull GOP Convention From Charlotte Without Crowds"

From Portland, OR,  Charlotte City councilman says it wouldn’t be responsible to have an arena full of people for RNC

Charlotte City Councilman Larken Egleston on Tuesday said it would not be responsible to host the 2020 Republican National Convention in the city as planned, adding President Donald Trump should accept it’s going to look different.

His comments came a day after Trump threatened to pull the convention out of the city where it is scheduled to be held in late August. In a series of tweets, Trump lambasted North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper and contended that the Democrat is “unable to guarantee” that the arena can be filled to capacity. The President also demanded Republicans “immediately be given” an answer from Cooper on the convention’s future in the city.
  • Like 1

^ Good news about the NC, perhaps we will need to thank the donald for getting it removed.

More broadly, it would be a huge black eye for NC and Charlotte to host the RNC in a way that is unsafe to do it. I don't think it will happen, but if donald manages to bully his way into a full capacity convention against the recommendation of epidemiologists then we will be dead to any new tech or finance investment for many years to come.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ Good news about the NC, perhaps we will need to thank the donald for getting it removed.

More broadly, it would be a huge black eye for NC and Charlotte to host the RNC in a way that is unsafe to do it. I don't think it will happen, but if donald manages to bully his way into a full capacity convention against the recommendation of epidemiologists then we will be dead to any new tech or finance investment for many years to come.

I think it’d be bad optics (Dem Governor, Dem City Council) if the RNC doesn’t happen here.  Trump will use that to inflame passions and the City will look bad.