Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Look at how much Charlotte is changing -- it's nothing short of remarkable with few national peers but all we hear/read about is how amazing and fast growing Austin and Nashville are - why are North Carolina's cities treated like red-headed step-children?  Maybe we stink at self-promotion?  We aren't bloviators like Texans, Tennesseans, and Georgians.  Maybe we should be.

On 8/29/2020 at 5:37 PM, LKN704 said:

At first I was confused because the account isn't verified nor do any of the DPRK official websites have any links to that twitter page. After doing some digging, it turns out it's fake and actually operated by a man originally from NC. 

Who lives in Atlanta, Georgia.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2020 at 7:39 PM, Phillydog said:

Look at how much Charlotte is changing -- it's nothing short of remarkable with few national peers but all we hear/read about is how amazing and fast growing Austin and Nashville are - why are North Carolina's cities treated like red-headed step-children?  Maybe we stink at self-promotion?  We aren't bloviators like Texans, Tennesseans, and Georgians.  Maybe we should be.

Who lives in Atlanta, Georgia.

I agree with this Statement about NC Cities being red headed step children.  You always hearing about Nashville, Austin, Atlanta, Denver, etc..  I guess we will just have to live with being the best kept secret...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2020 at 7:29 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

I agree with this Statement about NC Cities being red headed step children.  You always hearing about Nashville, Austin, Atlanta, Denver, etc..  I guess we will just have to live with being the best kept secret...

I think the problem is, we don't have a major identity other then banking. Which if I am being honest, while boring, is a great identity for long term growth and will propel our city beyond our competitors. Banking is what made San Francisco and NY into the cities they are today, and propelled momentous growth. If we want to talk about tech, the banks are some of the biggest tech hirers in the world. 

What I am trying to say is, I believe our city will just keep growing with out a niche, making it a all around great city that in 10 -20 years will be globally known as banking keeps growing and growing here. 

• Like 2

If he knew about the Grubb project in Seviersville, it appears that Matt Yglesias would say Charlotte was pretty rad

(the project in Tempe is basically a dorm)

(this post has nothing to do with Yglesias, but I wanted to hat tip Grubb for their willingness to take this risk again)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2020 at 9:04 AM, KJHburg said:

this is embarrassing watching Weather Channel this morning about Zeta  and they show the Charlotte skyline with the title Asheville Live shot then a few minutes later they have the same Charlotte shot (from the WBTV camera I think) and say Columbia SC live shot.    Both of these cities stole our skyline!!

Now they are showing a live shot of Asheville that is actually Asheville. 

The Atlanta, GA Chamber of Commerce Channel?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Hallmark Channel Christmas movie "A Nashville Christmas Carol" was filmed in Charlotte in September and will be shown next Saturday night at 8 pm.  Main house is in Cotswold, another older house in Huntersville, scenes uptown at the Nascar Hall of Fame evidently.

Major country music stars in it yet since it is set in Nashville no glory for the Queen City except in the credits.   We get the filming dollars they Nashvegas get the credit.  

http://thelocationist.com/current-project/2020/8/14

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/a-nashville-christmas-carol/videos/on-location-a-nashville-christmas-carol

nope no mention of Charlotte in the teaser either! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2020 at 8:27 PM, KJHburg said:

Well the Hallmark Channel Christmas movie "A Nashville Christmas Carol" was filmed in Charlotte in September and will be shown next Saturday night at 8 pm.  Main house is in Cotswold, another older house in Huntersville, scenes uptown at the Nascar Hall of Fame evidently.

Major country music stars in it yet since it is set in Nashville no glory for the Queen City except in the credits.   We get the filming dollars they Nashvegas get the credit.  

http://thelocationist.com/current-project/2020/8/14

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/a-nashville-christmas-carol/videos/on-location-a-nashville-christmas-carol

nope no mention of Charlotte in the teaser either! 

Yes to follow up I watched it as I was doing research on filming locales in the Charlotte area for my upcoming film "For the Love of Sweet Doughnuts"    This Halllmark  film included a scene at the Epicenter! 

Okay but really you would have to know that it was filmed in Charlotte and people who know Nashville would know something is amiss. Opens with some generic skyline shots of Nashville which to me look old.  First scenes were at Blumenthal PAC uptown.  (anyone would  have figured out in Nashville this was not the Ryman or Grand Old Opry)  House in Cotswold area was used extensively with some inside shots and outside shots.  My sources who know the owner the family was put up a hotel for a while while their house was used for filming.  Owner actually made a cameo appearance in the background in one scene.    House where the lead character grew up was shown outside and inside home off Gilead Road in Huntersville.  Back uptown outside shots at Nascar Plaza showing ice skating rink and a holiday market.  (remember this was filmed in September here) You could see a glimpse of the Buffalo Wild Wings signage and that may have been done intentionally.  Through the magic of green background screens the inside of Buffalo Wild Wings uptown was transformed into a corporate party scene overlooking the river in Nashville.  But it was all filmed here at the Nascar Plaza.    In some outside scenes I saw One and Three Wells Fargo towers.   Another "date" scene was filmed at Novule uptown  rooftop bar at Epicenter on the 22nd floor of the AC by Marriott.   Quite a bit was filmed in the Blumenthal and at the home in Cotswold.    With a couple of outside stock photos of Nashville it fooled most people I am sure.  However at the end it said "Filmed in North Carolina" in big letters.   If you follow country music really had some big names in it:  Wynonna Judd, Sara Evans, Kimberly Paisley (Brad Paisley's wife) 

Nuvole Rooftop TwentyTwo (nuvole22.com)

Where Was A Nashville Christmas Carol Filmed? | Heavy.com

I would say Hallmark movies will be back as they filmed a movie last year in Charlotte using Blumenthal and Knight Theater and Romare Bearden Park.  So I think the film scouts like our facilities and with this year being what it is our venues need the money.  Charlotte played New York City last year and this year Nashville. 

house used in Charlotte for filming my photo. 

IMG_8623.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Story in the San Fran Business Times about the exodus of people and jobs from the Bay area.  

In the story he says this:

""In addition to companies leaving, it was readily apparent that talent was also heading for the exits. A story on the growth of remote workers in January 2019 found that more Bay Area employers were retaining their workers by letting them go, whether that was to Dallas, Charlotte or even Cleveland. That story grew out of a conversation with Jim Wallace, CEO of San Francisco accounting firm BPM, who told me that one of the most frequent requests he was fielding from employees was the ability to move out of the Bay Area and take their jobs with them. ""

and he started off by saying this

""My continuing coverage of the Bay Area exodus in recent years was initially greeted with reader skepticism, but the acceleration of departures during this year’s pandemic has become much harder to ignore.  The first stories stemmed from what business leaders, investors and accountants had to say about leaving the Bay Area, even as some readers dismissed my early reports as just anecdotal evidence. In some cases, people voicing their commitment to the Bay Area were just months later talking about leaving — and that was before the pandemic had many working remotely.""

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Story in the San Fran Business Times about the exodus of people and jobs from the Bay area.  

In the story he says this:

""In addition to companies leaving, it was readily apparent that talent was also heading for the exits. A story on the growth of remote workers in January 2019 found that more Bay Area employers were retaining their workers by letting them go, whether that was to Dallas, Charlotte or even Cleveland. That story grew out of a conversation with Jim Wallace, CEO of San Francisco accounting firm BPM, who told me that one of the most frequent requests he was fielding from employees was the ability to move out of the Bay Area and take their jobs with them. ""

and he started off by saying this

""My continuing coverage of the Bay Area exodus in recent years was initially greeted with reader skepticism, but the acceleration of departures during this year’s pandemic has become much harder to ignore.  The first stories stemmed from what business leaders, investors and accountants had to say about leaving the Bay Area, even as some readers dismissed my early reports as just anecdotal evidence. In some cases, people voicing their commitment to the Bay Area were just months later talking about leaving — and that was before the pandemic had many working remotely.""

The September Harvard Business Review offers a substantially longer-range view on corp HQ relocation (but beware the data end in 2017). This time span of data shows Charlotte to have lost as many HQs as the worst-affected rustbelt cities. These data suffer from the small number problem but I would bet Charlotte’s poor showing here is due to the loss of several textile HQs 20 ish years ago (e.g. Fieldcrest-Canon) along with Wachovia. I would think Chiquita would be a wash in this data set. While this would doubtless be a different picture when using a narrower window, or when looking at the size of these companies, it is important to keep in mind that all of us tend to cherrypick data to match our priors. 

image.thumb.png.b675fe348b0c71914fa40d69d1df20e9.png

https://hbr.org/2020/09/the-uncertain-future-of-corporate-hqs

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kermit said:

The September Harvard Business Review offers a substantially longer-range view on corp HQ relocation (but beware the data end in 2017). This time span of data shows Charlotte to have lost as many HQs as the worst-affected rustbelt cities. These data suffer from the small number problem but I would bet Charlotte’s poor showing here is due to the loss of several textile HQs 20 ish years ago (e.g. Fieldcrest-Canon) along with Wachovia. I would think Chiquita would be a wash in this data set. While this would doubtless be a different picture when using a narrower window, or when looking at the size of these companies, it is important to keep in mind that all of us tend to cherrypick data to match our priors. Statements like “San Francisco is declining” might be a hot take, but SF is still where most of the money is.

https://hbr.org/2020/09/the-uncertain-future-of-corporate-hqs

That's some interesting data.  What 11 Fortune 500 HQ did Charlotte have in 1955?!  Did we really have as many as Denver, Seattle, San Antonio, DC, and Miami combined??

Edited by SentioVenia
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SentioVenia said:

That's some interesting data.  What 11 Fortune 500 HQ did Charlotte have in 1955?!  Did we really have as many as Denver, Seattle, San Antonio, DC, and Miami combined??

dunno. Here is the 1955 Fortune list: https://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500_archive/full/1955/101.html

My quick scan of it only revealed 2 companies I recognized as Charlotte-area based:

175: Cannon Mills

241: National Gypsum

Other than National Gyp, I think our 2017 list is entirely different than our 1955 list of F500s. This does suggest we may be a very adaptable place.

The list does not include HQ locations so its really just guess work. I would bet I overlooked 3-4 other manufacturing firms, a trucking company or two and ??? It does not appear that any banks were on the list in 55.

Springs industries did not appear until 1958. Duke was absent until the 1990s.  I was surprised not to see Lance or Belk on the list (was the F500 just public companies?)

Interestingly, NC did really well on the list back in 55 thanks to the many large textile and tobacco companies scattered through the Piedmont.

32 minutes ago, kermit said:

dunno. Here is the 1955 Fortune list: https://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500_archive/full/1955/101.html

My quick scan of it only revealed 2 companies I recognized as Charlotte-area based:

175: Cannon Mills

241: National Gypsum

Other than National Gyp, I think our 2017 list is entirely different than our 1955 list of F500s. This does suggest we may be a very adaptable place.

The list does not include HQ locations so its really just guess work. I would bet I overlooked 3-4 other manufacturing firms, a trucking company or two and ??? It does not appear that any banks were on the list in 55.

Springs industries did not appear until 1958. Duke was absent until the 1990s.  I was surprised not to see Lance or Belk on the list (was the F500 just public companies?)

Interestingly, NC did really well on the list back in 55 thanks to the many large textile and tobacco companies scattered through the Piedmont.

Yea I think it's only public cos, Ford isn't in there.

NC's furniture and textiles industries really got hammered by free trade.

Edited by joenc

7 hours ago, kermit said:

The Fortune 500 is indeed just public companies, hence no Belk. 

In addition, only 52 companies from the 1955 list are still a Fortune 500 company. The vast majority have gone out of business, been acquired, or had stagnant growth while newer companies surpass them. The wheels of innovation are incredible and if historic trends keep up, most of the Fortune 500 companies of today won't be on the list by 2085. 

https://fee.org/articles/comparing-1955s-fortune-500-to-2019s-fortune-500/

Edited by CLT2014

^^^ the reason I posted the article about companies and people leaving the Bay area of California is  to highlight how government can indeed run off business and people in the US. And I not only talking about Fortune 500 companies.  But when McKesson, Oracle, HP Enterprises, Charles Schwab HQs all leave the bay area in just a few years time you have to begin to wonder what is going on. Even formerly Silicon Valley based Avaya is now headquartered in Durham!  

NC is one of the top 10 states attracting California businesses according to Spectrum Location Solutions a formerly based California company that itself relocated to Pittsburgh.

California political leaders at the state and local level seem to ignore this and think it is myth and keep passing anti business legislation and more and more regulations.  Honestly it is sad to see a place go into decline like that but not sure how bad it has to get before the political will is changed there.  Sure California has Silicon Valley and tech and lots of innovation but even that is at risk.  NC's high school graduation rate is 5 points higher than California's now.    And it is not just high housing costs, high income taxes but the legal environment and onerous regulations.  

Companies Are Fleeing California. Blame Bad Government. (yahoo.com)

Growing Number Of Californians Opting To Leave The State – CBS Los Angeles (cbslocal.com)

Leaving California: Interviews With Californians Who Moved To Greener Pastures - California Globe

Leaving California | Spectrum Location Solutions

No place is guaranteed a prosperous future think of some upper Midwest cities that really declined like Detroit that are still trying to come back. 

The proof is in the pudding the bloom is off the rose in the Golden State they just lost population for the first time since 1900!  Like I said it is sad to see California go into decline like it is but unless there is a substantial change in Sacramento and some of the major cities it will only get worse.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 6:36 PM, KJHburg said:

^^^ the reason I posted the article about companies and people leaving the Bay area of California is  to highlight how government can indeed run off business and people in the US. And I not only talking about Fortune 500 companies.  But when McKesson, Oracle, HP Enterprises, Charles Schwab HQs all leave the bay area in just a few years time you have to begin to wonder what is going on. Even formerly Silicon Valley based Avaya is now headquartered in Durham!  

NC is one of the top 10 states attracting California businesses according to Spectrum Location Solutions a formerly based California company that itself relocated to Pittsburgh.

California political leaders at the state and local level seem to ignore this and think it is myth and keep passing anti business legislation and more and more regulations.  Honestly it is sad to see a place go into decline like that but not sure how bad it has to get before the political will is changed there.  Sure California has Silicon Valley and tech and lots of innovation but even that is at risk.  NC's high school graduation rate is 5 points higher than California's now.    And it is not just high housing costs, high income taxes but the legal environment and onerous regulations.  

Companies Are Fleeing California. Blame Bad Government. (yahoo.com)

Growing Number Of Californians Opting To Leave The State – CBS Los Angeles (cbslocal.com)

Leaving California: Interviews With Californians Who Moved To Greener Pastures - California Globe

Leaving California | Spectrum Location Solutions

No place is guaranteed a prosperous future think of some upper Midwest cities that really declined like Detroit that are still trying to come back. 

The proof is in the pudding the bloom is off the rose in the Golden State they just lost population for the first time since 1900!  Like I said it is sad to see California go into decline like it is but unless there is a substantial change in Sacramento and some of the major cities it will only get worse.  

I see California as a long-term "buy" option.  It is unquestionably (IMHO) the most beautiful state in the Union.

Edited by Phillydog

From this week's Pod Save America speaking with Nsé Ufot (starting at 1:33:40 - ~15 minutes and a good listen) on the GOTV in Georgia, ... Tons of people keep moving to Georgia that's a part of the demographic shifts that we're talking about. I joke, "Traffic is awful. Atlanta is full. You should check out Charlotte. I hear it's lovely this time of year."

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...