Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

On 3/20/2021 at 5:33 PM, nakers2 said:

As much as I beotch about the heat, I’ve never had the heat make me depressed. I can’t stand the gloomy, snow free winter.

True, actually I only like a month or so in fall and spring.  Oh well, life is made up of trade-offs...

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 11:42 AM, kermit said:

Best weather in the East? Having lived either in Piedmont NC or near Atlanta for my whole life I am dubious... 

Edit: I am guessing they completely ignore humidity

4C55CF40-5337-4010-92DE-7784A5B593B0.jpeg

I actually agree -- I've lived in LA, Sacramento, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Washington, and grew up in New England.   I could defend the argument that Charlotte has the best weather in the East.  Humidity is no where near as bad as cities in and closer to the coastal plain and south of CLT

• Like 3

If you don't think it's humid here in the summer you're nuts! ;-) Plus, to say there is a winter someplace where there is virtually no snow doesn't compute for me either. I guess I'm showing my NY->VT->Denver->CLT migration pattern.

There may be worse (more humid) places but it's certainly not comfortable.  It's too bad there are no 1M+ places in the mountains (Smokies, Blue Ridge or Appalachians) that fit the bill?  I can't think of one.

• Like 1

Was at a meeting in Italy last week and someone from Italy or Greece said that "Charlotte was the capital of Carolina."  I corrected him but the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense.  "Carolina" is an economic behemoth - 4th in population behind CA, FL, and TX. and 5th in GDP behind CA, NY, TX, and FL.

Does anyone else notice when they travel that people either call NC, SC or just skip the S/N and say Carolina.?

• Like 3

I really think the Carolina Panthers influence that perception.  Whenever I fly overseas I wear Panthers gear and jogging pants so I don't have to take off a belt while going through TSA.  Everyone who spoke English asked if I was from Carolina.  When I say "NORTH" Carolina they say "Oh the northern part" or something to that effect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

Atlanta, GA was part of Carolina?!   And....Savannah? 

The land was, but Savannah was established after Georgia was split off from Carolina.  Just after, since the Georgia charter was granted to Oglethorpe before he sailed from England to create Savannah.  Georgia was intended for sturdy folk (many were ex prisoners) to act as a defensive buffer against the Spanish in Florida.  Slavery was prohibited, in fact, specifically so that it would be 100% loyal English in residence. 

Atlanta was founded about a hundred years after that. 

• Like 2

This is a fascinating book and also audio read by the author. He did research about state borders for a script and then dove up to his eyeballs for the book since it was so interesting.  Strongly recommend. New Jersey owns the land under water in New York Harbor, New York owned the land above waterline. Why the distinction? Landfill from ship ballast and fill from subway construction created much of Ellis Island and thus the new land was on New Jersey rights as an extension of the underwater ownership. Someone going from Idaho to Washington with a suitcase of gold to "convince" Congress about state and territorial borders. Plus so very much more. 

https://www.amazon.com/How-States-Got-Their-Shapes/dp/0061431397

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm heading to Charlotte in June with a colleague who has never been before.  We're in the multifamily investment industry, and the purpose of our visit is to cultivate relationships with local real estate brokers with the goal of eventually acquiring several large apartment properties (150+ units) in the area.  We'll be in town for just a couple of days, and I want to really show off the potential of the area.  I think the obvious location for apartment acquisitions is South End, but my guess is that the purchase price may be a little outside of our range.  I'm looking for the "next frontier" submarket in the Charlotte area, where growth be channeled next.  We're open to urban or suburban.  I want to make sure we're not buying in a oversupplied part of the market but also want to make sure the submarkets we're looking in are also in high demand.  Any ideas where we should focus our time and which submarkets have the most demand/growth upside?

20 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

I'm heading to Charlotte in June with a colleague who has never been before.  We're in the multifamily investment industry, and the purpose of our visit is to cultivate relationships with local real estate brokers with the goal of eventually acquiring several large apartment properties (150+ units) in the area.  We'll be in town for just a couple of days, and I want to really show off the potential of the area.  I think the obvious location for apartment acquisitions is South End, but my guess is that the purchase price may be a little outside of our range.  I'm looking for the "next frontier" submarket in the Charlotte area, where growth be channeled next.  We're open to urban or suburban.  I want to make sure we're not buying in a oversupplied part of the market but also want to make sure the submarkets we're looking in are also in high demand.  Any ideas where we should focus our time and which submarkets have the most demand/growth upside?

with the massive job growth coming to the University area I would say that area.  Centene is opening their 3000 plus person campus and many of the renters will live by and besides the University area is the 2nd largest employment center in the county.  Maybe even out in Cabarrus county as well.  Older apartment complexes in south Charlotte are ripe for improvements too. another suburban area that is very popular but has some limits on growth would be Fort Mill. 

• Like 2

Here's what I'm thinking:

Day 1: land late afternoon, do a quick drive through South End, staying in a hotel Uptown

Day 2: Midtown, Myers Park down Providence Road to south Charlotte, over to Matthews, back along 485 to Providence Road, over to Ballantyne, South Park, Quail Hollow (my colleague is a big golf guy), Montford, LoSo, South End, Dilworth, Morehead

Day 3: Plaza Midwood, Optimist Park, NoDa, north line up to University City, back down to Wesley Heights, airport

Do you think I'm missing any areas worth visiting?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Here's what I'm thinking:

Day 1: land late afternoon, do a quick drive through South End, staying in a hotel Uptown

Day 2: Midtown, Myers Park down Providence Road to south Charlotte, over to Matthews, back along 485 to Providence Road, over to Ballantyne, South Park, Quail Hollow (my colleague is a big golf guy), Montford, LoSo, South End, Dilworth, Morehead

Day 3: Plaza Midwood, Optimist Park, NoDa, north line up to University City, back down to Wesley Heights, airport

Do you think I'm missing any areas worth visiting?

Maybe either out to the Whitewater center or quick jaunt up to Lake Norman 

• Like 2

The Intercept has a long(ish) read on the police practice of kettling in general which focuses on last year’s police-protestor kettling incident uptown in particular. It certainly does not paint CMPD (or city political leaders) in a positive light — referring to the Charlotte incident as “a particularly brutal example of kettling” in the accompanying video which reconstructs the incident. They don’t really break any new ground on local events with their analysis but it is interesting that the Charlotte incident continues to be visible in the press.

(and, as always, we are referred to as “Charlotte NC”)

https://theintercept.com/2021/06/02/kettling-protests-charlotte-police/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2