Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/23/2021 at 11:29 AM, Skyybutter said:

It's that so many people on here are jumping off buildings over two letters, NC.  

Relax, breathe. Charlotte, NC is good y'all.  

How could people NOT know about Charlotte? Some of you are too young to remember how huge the Hornets were. And I'm talking internationally as well. The NBA coming to town in 1988 is when we became a household name. And just 5 or 6yrs after that NFL. 

Lord knows probably 60-70% of Americans have at the very least had a connection through Charlotte-Douglas.  We have Fantasia, Dababy, Mandy Patinkin,  Michael Jordan, just to name a few celebrities. The Jonas bros have grandparents here. They are in/out of town at least a few times a year... We had the PTL scandal, I almost sat beside the late Tammy Faye at Central Church of God one Sunday actually. Almost ran over John Legend and his wife at the airport rushing to a gate when I was still a Flight Attendant.  We have Ric Flair, Mullet styled hair, and the Cabarrus County Fair!! 

I think it may just be habit with putting NC after Charlotte tbh. 

(This has been a source of pain for us die hard Charlottd lovers my entire adult life. 30+ yrs.) 

Totally agree with this. I've been wanting to respond in this thread for several weeks to note that I like "Charlotte, NC" as a naming convention.

On a national scale, there is something particularly alluring about the State of North Carolina and I think Charlotte could actually do a better job of promoting its NC attributes. North Carolina is Variety Vactionland. It is home to the most visited National Park in the country. It is home to he namesake of "OBX"; that is, the car magnet on the back of every other minivan in the South. It has one of the best public university systems in the country. It is the unofficial capital of college basketball. It is among the top ten states in number of craft breweries

Interestingly enough, in a survey of 1,211 adults, North Carolina was ranked as the fifth "best" state in the country. I don't know about the methodology in this study, but I would agree with the general sentiment. People love North Carolina. There is no shame at all in calling it Charlotte, NC and, in fact, I think we should proud of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And we think having NC after Charlotte is so bad, imagine how Frankfurt and Madrid residents must feel after this statement in the business journal.

At CLT, American expects to offer daily flights to Dublin; Rome; Frankfurt, Germany; London; Madrid, Spain; and Munich. 

It could be worse -  Charlotte, United States of America, or Charlotte, NC, United States of America.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, rancenc said:

Could this article be a subtle advertising to current New York residents to relocate to the Queen City?

https://libn.com/2022/01/21/beechwood-going-big-with-multiple-projects-in-north-carolina/

absolutely Long Island has long been a source of people to this area I know of many  personally.    My own ancestors left Long Island in the 1700s and we came from what is now the Hamptons area. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Told people in Orlando I was from Charlotte nothing else.  Both said NC I said yes.  One was a UK born resident of Orlando and okay the other guy lived at one time in Fort Mill and worked for Bank of America.  Next time you are out of the Carolinas say Charlotte and see what happens. 

I live in DC and I'm actually surprised by the lack of knowledge of Charlotte and how many times people keep misremembering me as being from Charlottesville. I think Raleigh is a lot more well known in the DC area. New Yorkers always seemed to be very familiar with Charlotte though.

No surprise though that the Wells Fargo folk in the McLean VA offices always fight to go be relocated to Charlotte though. lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I live in DC and I'm actually surprised by the lack of knowledge of Charlotte and how many times people keep misremembering me as being from Charlottesville. I think Raleigh is a lot more well known in the DC area. New Yorkers always seemed to be very familiar with Charlotte though.

No surprise though that the Wells Fargo folk in the McLean VA offices always fight to go be relocated to Charlotte though. lol.

Most black transplants to the DMV knows Charlotte because their family is likely from North Carolina or South Carolina.  Many of these very people whom are over 40 likely moved to the DMV from here prior to 2010. However many of those same individuals said they would be open to relocation to NC then it would be to Charlotte exclusively. The same thing applies with black transplants and some black natives to the New York Tri-state area with family in NC & SC.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, kayman said:

Most black transplants to the DMV knows Charlotte because their family is likely from North Carolina or South Carolina.  Many of these very people whom are over 40 likely moved to the DMV from here prior to 2010. However many of those same individuals said they would be open to relocation to NC then it would be to Charlotte exclusively. The same thing applies with black transplants and some black natives to the New York Tri-state area with family in NC & SC.

I've noticed that. Especially black transplants (in DC) that came from Greensboro. A lot of black people seemingly are from Eastern NC & Greensboro.

• Like 4

On 1/26/2022 at 10:37 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

I've noticed that. Especially black transplants (in DC) that came from Greensboro. A lot of black people seemingly are from Eastern NC & Greensboro.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:54 PM, tozmervo said:

It would not be surprising that Eastern NC is well represented in black migration patterns. Black Belt in the American South - Wikipedia

Ironically, all of the black individuals whom I know personally relocated from the DMV to CLT almost all are originally from the Triad, the Triangle, or Eastern NC.  I believe that is the secondary contribution to the mass migration of black transplants here.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, East Side Urbanite said:

I live in Nashville and most of the folks I talk to regarding Charlotte (and who are interested in urban placemaking themes) speak highly of Charlotte. Many of them (myself included) are envious of Charlotte's "vertical density" and of the Lynx. And, as ATL2CLT noted in a post, Charlotte's being the main city in North Carolina is a big deal —  because North Carolina has emerged as one of the top states in this great nation.

I swear Nashville is growing faster than Charlotte. The skyscrapers there are flying up fast!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, norm21499 said:

I swear Nashville is growing faster than Charlotte. The skyscrapers there are flying up fast!

Charlotte and Nashville been going neck and neck for a few years now.  Charlotte actually have beaten Nashville in growth rates a couple of times in the past several years. The midrise and highrise growth of Nashville had to catch up because outside of its older downtown core it was non-existent until recently.  Charlotte is  basically connecting SouthEnd to the Uptown skyline. 

Edited by kayman

2 hours ago, go_vertical said:

This opinion is solely based on my perception of things so I could be very wrong here, but from what I understand Nashville's downtown/urban growth seems to have a considerably higher residential to office ratio when compared to Charlotte.  No doubt they are experiencing a housing crunch like we are here and all this residential is necessary, but without a massive increase of jobs coming to the  streets surrounding these apartment towers I can't help but feel like the type of dense growth they are enjoying isn't sustainable.  Without office space coming online alongside these high priced apartments eventually the pool of people willing to pay top dollar for urban living will dry up since I doubt the workers at the new manufacturing facility or surburban office park located 15-20 miles away will see the benefit in that. 

With the last ten plus years of uptown Charlotte's development being so office heavy (I think this may be the single greatest period of Center City's job growth and it doesn't appear to be slowing down) Charlotte is positioned much better to absorb mid and high rise residential and I feel it will enjoy a much longer stretch of sustained dense, urban growth whereas Nashville will eventually slow down to a more realistic pace. The region will still grow but I see a higher percentage of it moving out to more of the outlying areas in typical hyper-sprawl fashion especially in the absence of a serious mass transit plan. I don't follow the city closely and maybe they are aggressively working on a plan, but with the growth they have been experiencing for a while they are certainly starting from a defecit in regards to mobility. 

I hope I articulated this well without sounding like I'm bashing Nashville.  I love the city and it's a super fun place to visit.  Am I completely off base here?  I mean, the high priced, high rise apartments ideally need to have job space coming in beside them to work on the long term right?  It works very differently for a city like Miami for obvious reasons. 

They'll be fine, they have a ton of office development going up as well.  Amazon, Pinnacle, Oracle are investing heavily in Nashville along with many other companies.  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 7:49 AM, go_vertical said:

This opinion is solely based on my perception of things so I could be very wrong here, but from what I understand Nashville's downtown/urban growth seems to have a considerably higher residential to office ratio when compared to Charlotte.  No doubt they are experiencing a housing crunch like we are here and all this residential is necessary, but without a massive increase of jobs coming to the  streets surrounding these apartment towers I can't help but feel like the type of dense growth they are enjoying isn't sustainable.  Without office space coming online alongside these high priced apartments eventually the pool of people willing to pay top dollar for urban living will dry up since I doubt the workers at the new manufacturing facility or surburban office park located 15-20 miles away will see the benefit in that. 

With the last ten plus years of uptown Charlotte's development being so office heavy (I think this may be the single greatest period of Center City's job growth and it doesn't appear to be slowing down) Charlotte is positioned much better to absorb mid and high rise residential and I feel it will enjoy a much longer stretch of sustained dense, urban growth whereas Nashville will eventually slow down to a more realistic pace. The region will still grow but I see a higher percentage of it moving out to more of the outlying areas in typical hyper-sprawl fashion especially in the absence of a serious mass transit plan. I don't follow the city closely and maybe they are aggressively working on a plan, but with the growth they have been experiencing for a while they are certainly starting from a defecit in regards to mobility. 

I hope I articulated this well without sounding like I'm bashing Nashville.  I love the city and it's a super fun place to visit.  Am I completely off base here?  I mean, the high priced, high rise apartments ideally need to have job space coming in beside them to work on the long term right?  It works very differently for a city like Miami for obvious reasons. 

It's interesting how the developments in Charlotte, Nashville and Austin differs. Austin routinely announces a new building like once every two or three weeks and builds single 1,000, 900, 800, 700 foot residential and office buildings. Nashville also routinely announces developments like once every two or three weeks and builds multi tower mixed use developments that have residential, office, hotel, retail, and entertainment districts. Charlotte's building announcements are not as regular or frequent as the others and are single office towers. Interesting as to how these three cities go about development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^ I get the feeling that much of Nashville's downtown multi-family is a giant hive of Airbnb. I would think this would create some maintenance and social issues in the area.  I think Skyhouse played that role here pre-pandemic?

(granted that is just a feeling, I have not been to Nashville in 10 years). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kermit said:

^ I get the feeling that much of Nashville's downtown multi-family is a giant hive of Airbnb. I would think this would create some maintenance and social issues in the area.  I think Skyhouse played that role here pre-pandemic?

(granted that is just a feeling, I have not been to Nashville in 10 years). 

correct many hotels and apartment towers going up there.   and I still can't get a decent price on a hotel when visiting and would gladly ride a train or BRT or streetcar if they had one.  

some office towers going up.   But I will say this Charlotte keeps building and sometimes as we know they start construction without even announcing like LH and Legacy. 

• Like 1