Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

5 hours ago, Nick2 said:

@Phillydog they didn't get it correct. No one knew it and the one person who tried to answer did guess Raleigh lmao. I actually saw that episode live. 

I was going to post here about it but forgot lol

Yeah idk what you’re talking about. Guy answers Charlotte immediately and the other two contestants seemed like they knew it. You are strangely confident in your incorrectness 

1:54

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, MothBeast said:

Yeah idk what you’re talking about. Guy answers Charlotte immediately and the other two contestants seemed like they knew it. You are strangely confident in your incorrectness 

1:54

Huh...I guess I confidently misremembered it. Lol oops 

Here's the episode that had to do with Raleigh that they got wrong.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

[mention=493]Phillydog[/mention] they didn't get it correct. No one knew it and the one person who tried to answer did guess Raleigh lmao. I actually saw that episode live. 
I was going to post here about it but forgot lol

Ah yes, Queen Raleigh!
  • Haha 3

Saw my  long lost friend from Sacramento this weekend in Hilton Head.  He and 3 of his golfing buddies were down there golfing then going to the Masters. 

Anyway of 4  guy all Californian natives 2 of them have been to Charlotte.  One is sports announcer out there and has been to ESPNU offices in Ballantyne.  Other one through our airport.  1 of the 4 guys is in the process of moving to Nashville after a life in California.  Another one said one of his friends in Sac just moved to Charlotte.    They thought the food prices at restaurants in Hilton Head were much cheaper than California ( I find them slightly higher than here in Charlotte)   Gas at Costco in Sacramento is 5.19 a gallon here 3.58 a gallon. The one moving to Nashville wanted out of California for lots of reasons costs, taxes, etc.  

Charlotte believe me is not without its problems but sometimes it is good to hear how good we have it here.  ALL 5 of agreed In N Out Burger is the best quick burger place. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

For as much trouble as he gets into, I'd say this seems justified. Being a rapper, even a non-controversial one (of which he is not) you can solicit unwanted attention from bad elements. From a self defense standpoint this seems cut and dry. Now the bigger question is why the hell would DaBaby want to live in Troutman. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Mike Rowe's How America Works show last night and it was about the Wilmington Police Department and after that show ended with shot of Cape Fear Memorial  Bridge over the in downtown Wilmington  the next show came on first shot the skyline of Uptown Charlotte.   This show was My Dream Car a reality show about how someone gets their car of their youth or gives it to someone.  This guy was from Charlotte and he was buying a 1968 Pontiac Firebird for his dad who just moved from Ohio to the Charlotte area.    Lots of shots of the skyline with cranes atop Duke Energy Plaza and the big purple Truist T.   He had a guy in Concord restore it,  a guy in Kannapolis paint it and found some parts at a salvage yard in Shelby.  

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6305077429001#sp=show-clips    all filmed in Charlotte area with lots of skyline shots

How America Works was a show about the day and life of a couple Wilmington Police officers doing their job back in December.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/shows/how-america-works   Lots of Wilmington skyline shots and despite it about about police did not make the area look crime ridden just normal city these days.

During My Dream Car I saw an ad promoting another NC filmed show which is comedy on the Fox Network called Welcome to Flatch.   This was filmed in the Wilmington area and surrounding counties in NC.  

https://www.wect.com/2021/05/17/fox-releases-trailer-welcome-flatch/

So watch some of these NC filmed shows and episodes and you will see some local sites.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

US News and Report has their Best Places to Live list out.  Whether you agree or not these rankings get a lot of publicity.

Charlotte comes in #30  Raleigh Durham (combined CMSA I guess) came in # 6    Nashville  #25 so in the pack with Charlotte.

Charlotte's ranking   https://realestate.usnews.com/places/north-carolina/charlotte    we do get bumped down for crime, affordability, commuting time all under quality of life 

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live

Huntsville AL Rocket City USA is #1   and it is a great city the fastest growing in that state and really nice. 

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/methodology   here is their methodology.   

• Thanks 1

I really loathe these lists... I just don't see how San Fran is a desirable enough place to live to make the top 10. Same with San Jose. Love to visit SF, but no way I could live there. Nor anyone I know. One of the pre-reqs is "Good value". There is no good value there lol

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

If I relocated, it'd completely be San Francisco by a long shot. The only thing that would make San Francisco better (or dare I say perfect) to me is if it had more rapid rail transit within the city. But I've read they're looking at more subway lines outside of the main trunk lines within San Francisco. It's all relative to what people value, really.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 12:03 AM, LKN704 said:

San Francisco actually rates quite high when surveyed amongst the world's most livable cities in terms of quality of life. 

It was the second highest rated city in the US (after Boston) according to Deutsche Bank in 2019, ranking 9th worldwide. It was the highest ranking US city (34th worldwide) according to Mercer in 2019. I believe the Monocle Quality of Life survey used to rank SF quite high IIRC, but the highest ranked US city in 2021 is Los Angeles. 

I agree with your sentiment (although if I relocated anywhere it would be Los Angeles by a long shot, followed by SF), but I think the difference is that you and I both live in the third largest metro area in the country and are quite used to and familiar with (I don't know about you, I am only theorizing) the challenges of living in such a big city and have come to accept them in exchange for the benefits, like great urban transit, large airports with an expansive international reach, car free living, shopping/dining/cultural amenities, etc. 

The thought of moving to a city like Green Bay, Fayetteville, Raleigh/Durham, Ann Arbor, Des Moines, Madison, or any other similar city literally makes me depressed. I can only imagine what someone happy in Des Moines feels about the prospects of moving to SF, or any other major metro area. 

FWIW, Muni Metro and Muni Buses are pretty good. I travel to SF three to four times a year and never had any issues getting around within the city. 

I love LA as well, but putting RDU in the same bag as the other places you list is just wrong on so many levels.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Phillydog said:

I love LA as well, but putting RDU in the same bag as the other places you list is just wrong on so many levels.

I was going off of the US News report posted above that had all of them lumped together in the top 20. 

In any case, in my post I essentially list my personal requirements of a city for me to live in...

On 5/18/2022 at 12:03 AM, LKN704 said:

great urban transit, large airports with an expansive international reach, car free living, shopping/dining/cultural amenities, etc. 

Raleigh doesn't satisfy all of those, so to me Raleigh is in the same bag as the other cities I listed. 

Madison and Ann Arbor actually remind me very much of Raleigh IMO. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I was going off of the US News report posted above that had all of them lumped together in the top 20. 

In any case, in my post I essentially list my personal requirements of a city for me to live in...

Raleigh doesn't satisfy all of those, so to me Raleigh is in the same bag as the other cities I listed. 

Madison and Ann Arbor actually remind me very much of Raleigh IMO. 

Ahhh...I appreciate the clarification.  In this context, absolutely.  Few US cities meet this criteria.  But, LA?  Walkable?  I know it's a cliché, but seriously, there are walkable neighborhoods that are awesome, but a walkable city?  Hmmmmm.....  At the end of the day, I would live in LA any day over SF -- and that's heresy among some in my gang (all due respect my fellow Gay humans).

Edited by Phillydog
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Ahhh...I appreciate the clarification.  In this context, absolutely.  Few US cities meet this criteria.  But, LA?  Walkable?  I know it's a cliché, but seriously, there are walkable neighborhoods that are awesome, but a walkable city?  Hmmmmm.....  At the end of the day, I would live in LA any day over SF -- and that's heresy among some in my gang (all due respect my fellow Gay humans).

FWIW, no city is entirely walkable. Even in NYC, there are a ton of neighborhoods in the outer boroughs (Douglaston, Little Neck, Fresh Meadows, Whitestone, etc) that aren't served by the subway system, and you would need a car to survive for all intents and purposes. 

I would classify LA as walkable, but it entirely depends on where you are based. Some neighborhoods are easily walkable (like my favorite neighborhood, Highland Park) and on a transit line, while others are still walkable and require a ~10 minute walk to a rail station (Los Feliz). IMO LA has a damn good bus network that is often overlooked.

It's quite sad really. A couple of years back, I was staying in Downtown, and one morning I took the Metro to Hollywood/Western, walked up Western Ave to the Griffith Park entrance, and then proceeded to walk all the up the hill to the observatory, before walking back down and taking the Metro back to Downtown. My local friends all thought I was completely crazy, and a good number of them had no idea there was a subway that went in that part of town. 

• Like 1