Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Especially for a city our size, 25 cranes is very impressive. Its what impressed my family the most when they visited during the holidays. The amount of construction between the stadium and Met midtown.

The guests I've had off and on over the past few months have always commented on the number as well. The South Tryon cluster is really great (as your picture shows). The fun part, for me, is to picture a large glassy building where each crane is now -- the skyline is quite a composite when you do that!

We also were having a small lunch in the Ruth's Chris bar last month when the Cowboys were playing the Panthers (this was game day). There were two couples from Dallas sitting next to us -- we talked for a while and they kept commenting on all the construction they saw going on. They come to the game ever year since it is over the holidays (for a long weekend, said it was one of their yearly trips) and couldn't believe the change from last year to this. When we told them about the baseball stadium, the park, the other Novare buildings, etc, they said they couldn't wait to come back next year to see the new changes.

Edited by Charlotte_native

The crane "story" sure was fluffy filler. Along with their online story about "drizzle" oooh it's drizzling...., it would be funny if it was not so pathetic. That aside, the cranes do give me a sense of civic pride since they show a city on the move. What's next? An article calling us the "Dubai of the South"? ^_^

The crane "story" sure was fluffy filler. Along with their online story about "drizzle" oooh it's drizzling...., it would be funny if it was not so pathetic. That aside, the cranes do give me a sense of civic pride since they show a city on the move. What's next? An article calling us the "Dubai of the South"? ^_^

Agreed, nothing more than a useless filler story. Atlanta would be more of the "Dubai of the South" under that criteria.

Speaking of such, I do have to say I'm a bit...worried. What with Charlotte's economy so dependent on banking, will Charlotte be able to weather the eminent downturn in the economy? I feel like I'm the only one shaking in my boots over this :unsure:

I believe we determined that Charlotte's banks are responsible for about 10% of the jobs in the county. Much less in the metro. If they had to do a large downsizing, then I am going to say that no more than 2-3% of the jobs here would be affected which would be felt, but it wouldn't be like a cotton mill closing in a mill town. (downtown no doubt would take much of the brunt of the loss)

I believe we determined that Charlotte's banks are responsible for about 10% of the jobs in the county. Much less in the metro. If they had to do a large downsizing, then I am going to say that no more than 2-3% of the jobs here would be affected which would be felt, but it wouldn't be like a cotton mill closing in a mill town. (downtown no doubt would take much of the brunt of the loss)

Only to add to that -- I agree that it wouldn't be a significant number, but (for better and worse) it would be mostly very highly compensated positions ... which are a large part of the appeal of this area to developers of high-end residences, amenities, attractions, etc.

Speaking of such, I do have to say I'm a bit...worried. What with Charlotte's economy so dependent on banking, will Charlotte be able to weather the eminent downturn in the economy? I feel like I'm the only one shaking in my boots over this :unsure:

The banks are a large factor in our economic stability, but newcomers moving here are also. For years we've heard that 40,000 to 70,000 move to the region annually. Last year it was 80,000. THAT is one of the major factors that keep us from being hit as hard many markets in the country. Regardless of economic conditions people have to live somewhere. Whether they rent or buy they are helping prop up our economy. They have ancillary needs as well causing need for restaurants, stores, grocers, etc. If the influx of people dried up that would hurt our local economy far more than one of the banks shedding a couple thousand jobs (not saying that isn't a bad thing, just discussing the broad impact of these factors).

The banks are a large factor in our economic stability, but newcomers moving here are also. For years we've heard that 40,000 to 70,000 move to the region annually. Last year it was 80,000. THAT is one of the major factors that keep us from being hit as hard many markets in the country. Regardless of economic conditions people have to live somewhere. Whether they rent or buy they are helping prop up our economy. They have ancillary needs as well causing need for restaurants, stores, grocers, etc. If the influx of people dried up that would hurt our local economy far more than one of the banks shedding a couple thousand jobs (not saying that isn't a bad thing, just discussing the broad impact of these factors).

Agreed. I have a few friends that are moving here in the next month or so. Neither of which works for a bank... They are drawn to the area b/c of it's affordability, places like Lake Norman, and just the overall feel of the city (which is what I was drawn to). Surprisingly, I know more people that don't work for the banks than do.

On a different subject, the Huntersville city council has officially voted to form a committee to work towards creating an new school system that would be independent from Charlotte. The local paper has suggested that Davidson and Cornelius would be welcome to join in the effort and would most likely do so. So in terms of perception this might make people thing there is something seriously wrong with CMS if 1/5 of the county decides it's time to separate from it.

On a different subject, the Huntersville city council has officially voted to form a committee to work towards creating an new school system that would be independent from Charlotte. The local paper has suggested that Davidson and Cornelius would be welcome to join in the effort and would most likely do so. So in terms of perception this might make people thing there is something seriously wrong with CMS if 1/5 of the county decides it's time to separate from it.

I'm not overly familiar with CMS since I never went to school here or have kids, but isn't there more of an influx of kids going to private schools in Mecklenberg? For Huntersville, Cornelius, etc... I guess not having to worry about a Jerry Reese frivolous lawsuit slowing down your new and improved schools would be a good thing.

I have to admit I don't follow much about CMS. Their constant squabbling and their actions which seem more like something you'd find IN school rather than its administration are such a turn off that it is hard for me to read or care -- combined with the fact that I don't have and won't have kids. That being said, an obvious huge amount of the property taxes I pay go to schools so I am peripherally concerned.

What do you think this means? I'd have to wonder if it might be good for both CMS and a possible north Mecklenburg School System in terms of a smaller system for each being easier to manage. I'd think it might cut down on so much of the THEM vs. US, suburban schools vs. urban schools battles.

Would you think this would lower taxes that go towards schools in Huntersville, Cornelious and /or Davidson or would they go up? I guess I'm also asking is this a tax contribution issue or a control issue?

Here is a website I found, where liberal friendly and liberal unfriendly cities are listed. Among the NC cities listed that are liberal are Asheville, Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Durham, and Greensboro. The only NC cities listed as unliberal are Fayetville (shocker) and Charlotte. I know that you can only take so much from a website like this, but I think it shows that a lot of people still view Charlotte as straight-laced.

http://www.turnleft.com/geo.html

Edited by brokenraven

Yeah I'm not sure how much I would trust that site seeing as how State College, PA is listed as both liberal friendly and unfriendly. :whistling: This is all just a matter of perspective, but IMO Charlotte for its size is rather conservative. Politically, most people don't hear much concerning Charlotte and most likely just lump it in with most other southern cities.

Just saw where Spokane, WA has also been placed on both lists....confusing.

Clicking on Charlotte in the list lets you read the comments. There are only 3 and 2 of them are old, from the time of the whole Angels in America fiasco. Only 1 seems recent and it does point out that things are a little better. I don't think Charlotte is quite as conservative as the reputation it seems to have.

Yeah I'm not sure how much I would trust that site seeing as how State College, PA is listed as both liberal friendly and unfriendly. :whistling: This is all just a matter of perspective, but IMO Charlotte for its size is rather conservative. Politically, most people don't hear much concerning Charlotte and most likely just lump it in with most other southern cities.

Haha, I didn't notice that. Well, like I said, I know you can't trust everything you'd see on a page such as this. :P

I actually don't think of Charlotte as being particularly liberal or conservative, myself. I don't really get an impression either way when I go there. I think it would be more appropriate to say it's a neutral city rather than liberal unfriendly.

Edited by brokenraven

This may sound stupid, how do you add a city? I looked all over that site. Does it require you to confirm your email or something before you can nominate? I registered, but havent gotten a confirmation email yet. Please help, I plan to get everyone I know to nominate Charlotte. Lets try to get our city on there, that would be one heck of a wild card!

Ok I'll give an outsider's prospective of Charlotte.

I have to admit before Charlotte bought up all of our major banks minus one, which is Suntrust, most Atlantans had not really heard of Charlotte before, but when she bought up Atlanta's major banks, that certainly got Atlanta's attention.

For many years Atlanta and Miami were the only two major cities in the Southeast, but now Charlotte is the second largest banking center in the nation behind New York. So everyone sees this bright lady as a shinning star in the Southeast.

It's like Atlanta is Charlotte's big sister and Charlotte is Atlanta's little sister, and like real sisters, Atlanta feels she needs to look after and protect Charlotte, but Charlotte says , that's ok I'm big enough now to take care of myself, and then Atlanta says that's fine, but just let me know if you need anything because I am still your big sister and I love you!!!

So most Atlantans are proud to have a smaller but hip and energetic city to be freinds with here in the Southeast U.S., and are very proud of how far Charlotte has come to be one of the most important banking, distribution, transportation, arts, sports, and fashion centers in the U.S.

We love you guys, but remember if you ever need anything, just let us know and we will come to your rescue in a second!!!!!

We love you Charlotte!!!! :wub:

I found that site last year. I don't think it's very active and I could not find a way to add comments either. The reviews are pretty dated and one describes Dilworth as the only liberal part of town, which completely overlooks PlazaMidwood, Elizabeth, NoDa and that entire side of town. While they are not representative of Charlotte as a whole I have found that transplants from NY or SF etc etc etc seem to gravitate to these areas for their walkability and more laid back and open minded vibe.

We love you guys, but remember if you ever need anything, just let us know and we will come to your rescue in a second!!!!!

We love you Charlotte!!!! :wub:

THANKS! :thumbsup:

We love Atlanta too! Of my friends it is probably the most visited city for a fun road-trip or shopping trip. My partner is from ATL so we go there pretty often to visit friends and family.

Edited by Charlotte_native

I had a parental visit this weekend. My folks have a very positive view of Charlotte. Well at least of Southpark.... I try to get them to go and do other things each time but to no avail. My mom spent all weekend wandering around Southpark Mall. I like to shop but I get in and get out. My dad escaped to Dick's and spent the time on their practice tee. For dining options I made sure we only went to local places. Went to Pike's in Southend for lunch, Customshop for dinner and Dim Sum on Sunday morning :P Overall, my mom and dad see Charlotte as a less congested version of Atlanta. I will continue to try and expand their horizon beyond shopping on future visits.

Edited by voyager12

Take it from someone who went to school in State College - there is a lot of diversity there when school is in for the fall and spring semesters. When all the students are gone for the summer, with the exception of the Arts Festival, it is a fairly conservative place.

Its amazing what a bunch of drunken college students can add to the landscape on a Saturday afternoon!

• Haha 1