Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Raleigh - Cary is pretty funny to me since thats where I grew up but I tell everyone I'm from Raleigh

My in-laws live in Cary, so when we go up there I say we're going to Raleigh. I then try to sneak away to Mitch's Tavern on Hillsborough.

"Little Rock -- Clinton -- MTV Special on Gangs" Is that the same thing as the early-to-mid 90's HBO investigative piece about "Gang-banging in Little Rock"?

Edited by InitialD

I realize that Nascar's presence is significant both historically and economically, but is that really the first thing people think about when they talk about Charlotte? I sincerely hope not. Its not like this is Darlington where thats the ONLY thing that happens all year. It was never something that I had considered as an "attribute" to the city until I moved here- and keep in mind that growing up Charlotte was the big city to me, so I would not have considered myself ignorant about it.

Charlotte was to me: big city, banking, airport, Hornets, Panthers, traffic, malls, Carowinds.

Charlotte - Nascar -- Banking -- New South -- Families -- Boring

Greensboro - Colleges -- city nearby -- ACC -- Boring -- Party City

Really? I mean, of course you are entitled to your opinion and I won't argue that. But it's ironic that my opinion is quite the opposite of yours in these regards. But that is because I've never really had the opportunity to find fun things to do in Gboro so it really is all about perception through your available means. I think that if you came here with people that knew where to go to have fun, your perception would quickly change. Same can be said for me and Greensboro. Off topic, but I am going there saturday night for a haunted house with a bunch of my friends, so maybe I'll get another shot at learning about the city outside of conferences.

Charlotte - Nascar -- Banking -- New South -- Families -- Boring -- Banking

Tampa - Retirement -- same -- the bay -- old -- water / bay -- the Gulf

Miami - Cuban -- Art Deco and non-stop party -- Caribbean, latin -- Flashy -- Gay -- Colorful

Oklahoma City - Bombing -- nothing -- new basketball team -- Cow Town -- no where -- Hornets/Thunder

Indianapolis - Indianapolis 500 -- similar to Charlotte -- the 500 -- Racing -- Cold -- Racing

Providence - Boston's little brother -- P-town and gayness -- Boston Lite -- Coloquial -- Smells -- Large suburb

Raleigh - Capitol -- universities -- Cary -- Capital -- Traffic -- Universities

Nashville - Country Music -- same -- country music -- Country Music -- Porter Wagoner -- Country music

Louisville - Baseball Bat -- horses -- waterfront, Ali -- underlooked -- nothing -- baseball

Memphis - Blues -- BBQ and Beale Street -- Beale St., Elvis -- Fed Ex -- Elvis -- Music

San Antonio - Military -- nothing -- canal/riverwalk -- Alamo -- Nothing -- Alamo

Denver - Green -- scenery and mountains -- Mile High -- skiing -- Snow -- Broncos

Portland - Smart -- green / somewhat hippy -- bicycles and transit -- Rainy -- Young -- Urban design

Seattle - Rainy -- same -- Pike's fish market -- Rainy -- Armpit of the us -- Spaceneedle

Boston - Colonial -- history -- intellectualism, universities -- Traditional -- Sox

Minneapolis - Cold -- nothing -- overstreet walkways (maybe that's St. Paul?) -- Cold -- Cold -- Nothing

Albuquerque - Desert -- arts -- pueblos? -- Desert Asheville -- Warm -- Nothing

Austin - College -- growing -- bell tower, Longhorns -- Over-hyped- MTV Real World -- Youth

Dallas - JFK -- super sprawl -- Cowboys, Who shot JR? - 1980's -- Nothing -- Cowboy boots

Houston - Sprawling -- same -- oil money -- Sprawl - nothing -- the Gulf

Orlando - Families -- Disney -- Bloom -- Tourists - Swamp -- Theme parks

Atlanta - Traffic - rap, congestion -- ATL, Olympics -- "Can Do" - MARTA -- Sprawlville

Milwaukee - Chicago's little brother -- beer -- decay -- Forgotten -- Laverne and Shirley -- Beer

Chicago - Skyscrapers -- lake, dense -- progressive, birthplace of skyscrapers -- Poor Man's NYC -- ghetto -- Skyline, da Bulls

Des Moines - Heartland = farming -- skyscrapers on the plains -- Rollercoaster -- nothing -- Midwest

Asheville - Hippies -- art (and actually the true underbelly of A-ville, rich out of staters) -- historic art deco -- Biltmore House -- Granola -- Eclectic

Greensboro - Colleges -- city nearby -- ACC -- Boring -- Party City -- Monkey-in-the-Middle (Charleigh)

Durham - Baseball park --dad lives there -- Tobacco Road -- Duke -- Duke Medical Center -- Duke

Winston Salem - Forgotten -- cigarettes -- Cesar Pelli's 2nd best building in NC -- Wake Forest -- Krespy Kreme -- Hanes -- Old Wachovia

Birmingham (AL) - Vulcan park, steel mills -- Declining -- Ruben Studdard -- Overlooked

Omaha - college baseball -- Warren Buffett -- Nothing -- Farming

Jacksonville - waterfront -- The Boring Big City in FL -- Cops -- Beaches

Richmond - "under the radar" as you don't really hear it mentioned that much, Confederate capital -- Brick -- Tobacco -- D.C. commuters

Baltimore - Inner harbor, war of 1812, The Wire -- Sugar -- historic -- Historic Preservation

Salk Lake City - Mormons, Olympics, "SLC Punk" -- Mormon -- Cult -- Mormons

Little Rock - Clinton -- MTV Special on Gangs -- Nothing -- Bill Clinton

Greenville (SC) - Pedestrian bridge -- Charming Downtown -- Kewl -- I-85

Pittsburgh - three rivers, steel mills -- mini-NYC that didn't quite adapt fast enough and wasn't on the coast -- Nothing -- Skyline/Rivers

Philadelphia - Liberty bell, Rocky -- Bad Attitudes -- Dirty -- Cheesesteaks

I realize that Nascar's presence is significant both historically and economically, but is that really the first thing people think about when they talk about Charlotte? I sincerely hope not. Its not like this is Darlington where thats the ONLY thing that happens all year. It was never something that I had considered as an "attribute" to the city until I moved here- and keep in mind that growing up Charlotte was the big city to me, so I would not have considered myself ignorant about it.

Charlotte was to me: big city, banking, airport, Hornets, Panthers, traffic, malls, Carowinds.

If you were talking about Charlotte's perception from SC, I would agree with you. Those are the exact same words I would use for Charlotte from the perspective of growing up in Myrtle Beach. Ironically I think the people of SC have a better opinion of Charlotte than the non-Charlotte residents of NC. (they would add in a few negative words I can think of)

But in terms of nationwide perspective, I would just go with two words. Those would be --- Airport --- Nascar --- in no particular order. Outside certain industries and until the current financial mess, I don't think most people in the country had any idea two big banks were based here. The banks certainly don't identify themselves as Charlotte banks. It is a shame that B. Smith changed the name of the track from Charlotte Motor Speedway to Lowes Motor Speedway.

If you wanted to add a third word, well rather phrase, the thing that I most often hear when I tell someone I live in CLT is .... "Ah... nice.... uhh... where is that?".

But in terms of nationwide perspective, I would just go with two words. Those would be --- Airport --- Nascar --- in no particular order. Outside certain industries and until the current financial mess, I don't think most people in the country had any idea two big banks were based here.

This is mostly true from my experience in Boston. I always heard NASCAR, "I've changed planes there a couple of time", and some banks HQ. Most didn't know which banks, which is ironic since BofA bought Fleet that was from Boston.

Almost without exception I was asked if I liked NASCAR. Also, everyone in New England refers to Charlotte as being in "The Carolinas". I'm not sure if their not confident about which Carolina, and they are playing it safe, or if the Panther and Hurricane's play a roll, or if we really are considered a region of the US, like New England, but honestly, people used the term The Carolinas over 90% of the time when addressing Charlotte.

EDIT> It seems the conversation of Greensboro is being handled offline, but I want to state that I was the original poster that used to word boring to describe it (and Families to describe Charlotte), and apparantly that upset a Triad resident that responded in reverse of my opinions. The whole topic of this thread, as on National Perceptions, and as Monsoon, pointed out specifically to Charlotte.

I think perceptions are based partially on reality (I've visited nearly every city on the list) and partially on popular generalizations. In Greensboro's case, I've never gone there to party or do anything stimulating so my experiences have been confined to pretty uninteresting visits. Additionally, Forbes referred to it a couple of years ago as Greensboring, hence my perception.

Hopefully no one gets their feelings hurt from other people's perceptions. The whole point of this thread is to essentially invite criticism. Also, realize that people's perceptions are subject to change based on additional experiences. For example, before moving to Boston and only visitng several times, I would have said "intellectual and progressive", but after living there, that is no longer my perception, or rather that generalization is limited to a minority of the city.

This article showed up in the Washington Post today that is about the changing face of NC, but it starts out with with Charlotte. It does expose a side to Charlotte not often discussed here or acknowledged in the local press.

Wow, a pretty thorough piece. It reveals the immense contrasts in NC today. How about this gem:

"I just hope and pray that the man [Obama] has not been planted here by a foreign country. I just hope he is not the kind who flew those planes into those towers. . . . We got rid of one Hussein. We don't need another."

Very sad.

"I just hope and pray that the man [Obama] has not been planted here by a foreign country. I just hope he is not the kind who flew those planes into those towers. . . . We got rid of one Hussein. We don't need another."

Because, of course, anyone that wanted to plant an operative to take over America or wreak havoc through terrorism would have known years back that there would be a strong chance that a man with a name like Barack Hussein Obama, who also happens to be part African American, would have a change in h*ll of becoming president. Surely they wouldn't think they'd need a white guy named Joe to win in America. Do these folks ever think of how stupid they look and sound with this crap?

Love the word association concept -- here are mine along with yours Escapists -- if I've said 'nothing' it is just because i have no impression about the city

Providence - Boston's little brother -- P-town and gayness

I just want to point out that P-Town is an entirely different place.

The city of Providence, RI is a very Itallian New England City.

Provincetown MA is on the extreme end of Cape Cod MA. It was apparently once a artist enclave before hippies existed, but is well know as a gay gathering place now. I was there once back in 1993 as a senior in High Shcool for a whale watching trip and the streets were literally crawling with people in assless leather chaps. I kid you not, this was the "gayest" place I have ever seen. It looked like a village peoples convention.

Providence is no more gay friendly than any other New England city.

Almost without exception I was asked if I liked NASCAR. Also, everyone in New England refers to Charlotte as being in "The Carolinas". I'm not sure if their not confident about which Carolina, and they are playing it safe, or if the Panther and Hurricane's play a roll, or if we really are considered a region of the US, like New England, but honestly, people used the term The Carolinas over 90% of the time when addressing Charlotte.

As a New Englander and New Yorker before that I can say that I/we have used the term "The Carolinas" as long as I can remember, long before the panthers existed. I think this goes back to the days of my grandparents when the carolinas really represented places like Naggs head through Hilton head. New Englanders have always been boaters, and stopping in the Carolinas was just what you did on your way down to Florida.

I know the difference between the two states, but I use the term carolinas just because I grew up with it.

I never knew NASCAR was from Charlotte untill I joined this forum. but I see it as a truely Southern passion.

God I love perceptions!! they are quite amusing if taken as such and not personally. Hell I am from Long Island and embody almost none of the worlds perceptions of the area.

I gave Philly one shot at the cheesesteak. We stopped at this place right off the interstate near the football stadium, which their signs claimed was famous for cheesesteaks, "Talk of the town" or something. Ehhhh it was average at best. Best cheesesteaks I've ever had were in Baltimore. Sorry Philly, you have been dethroned.

I just want to point out that P-Town is an entirely different place.

The city of Providence, RI is a very Itallian New England City.

Provincetown MA is on the extreme end of Cape Cod MA. It was apparently once a artist enclave before hippies existed, but is well know as a gay gathering place now. I was there once back in 1993 as a senior in High Shcool for a whale watching trip and the streets were literally crawling with people in assless leather chaps. I kid you not, this was the "gayest" place I have ever seen. It looked like a village peoples convention.

Providence is no more gay friendly than any other New England city.

That's really funny. I noticed the incorrect Provincetown reference too and the only reason I knew it was I was there in 1993 for a whale watching trip as well. Maybe we were on the same boat! Did you notice a guy who was passed out on the seats on the upper deck due to taking one too many dramamines for motion sickness?

You are correct also about the assless chaps and the general atmosphere. I had no clue until I was there with my friends. It is def. the gayest place I've ever seen/been (and that includes a night at Key West during a Halloween Parade). By the way, not knocking anything or anyone...really just saying.

If you were talking about Charlotte's perception from SC, I would agree with you. Those are the exact same words I would use for Charlotte from the perspective of growing up in Myrtle Beach. Ironically I think the people of SC have a better opinion of Charlotte than the non-Charlotte residents of NC. (they would add in a few negative words I can think of)

Yep. Agreed.

But in terms of nationwide perspective, I would just go with two words. Those would be --- Airport --- Nascar --- in no particular order. Outside certain industries and until the current financial mess, I don't think most people in the country had any idea two big banks were based here. The banks certainly don't identify themselves as Charlotte banks. It is a shame that B. Smith changed the name of the track from Charlotte Motor Speedway to Lowes Motor Speedway.

If you wanted to add a third word, well rather phrase, the thing that I most often hear when I tell someone I live in CLT is .... "Ah... nice.... uhh... where is that?".

I agree - I think in terms of perception, nationwide is completely different from regional perception. A lot of people mention NASCAR, but having grown up in SC & lived in Atlanta, I do agree it's big, but not that prominent of a perception. Considering NASCAR races are common in most southern states & especially in SC the Darlington race had more significance than the race in Charlotte - it's a wash. Nationwide though, with all the NASCAR based movies (Burt Reynolds, Tom Cruise & Will Ferrell) taking place in Charlotte & arguably the most important NASCAR race is near Charlotte besides of course the head quarters & museum - then nationwide I could see that.

Also of course, as Spartan suggested, in SC - Charlotte is the big city. Though certainly areas bordering Georgia it would be different, Charlotte is the primary big city nearest SC. Otherwise, Charlotte is known nationwide not as a big city but certainly a growing city & a new symbol of the sunbelt. Regionally, it is highly subjective, nonetheless Charlotte clearly is well known in the southeast as much as Atlanta, Nashville, or Dallas.

So that perception would be completely different than the nationwide perception - except for banking. Nationwide Charlotte is known as a banking center & of course many of the southeastern banks, especially in SC are based in Charlotte.

I think the biggest indicator of Charlotte's perception is from business travelers. Most medium to large businesses nationwide will have sent at least one person to Charlotte to conduct business a year. That really is significant & possibly a factor in Charlotte's growth & positive image. As I stated before, business people travel there for business & usually have a good time there - they compliment the downtown, good weather & affordability. They tell their coworkers who tell their families & so forth. Being a business friendly city has definitely helped Charlotte & developed a strong perception for people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was working a flight back from London recently and the gentlemen near my jumpseat asked if the crew lived in Charlotte. I replied that most of us did. He said he had recently moved back to Charlotte and was suprised by how much the city had changed. I asked him when he had lived here the first time and he said 2000-2004. I expected him to say like in the 80s or something. I asked him if he had really noticed a differnce in four years. He said yes. I said well we do have Trader Joes now. We laughed. I told him how much I thought the new Wachovia complex was going to add to the city with the new musems and he agreed. He said he couldnt believe there was a Target in the "inner city". He said with people moving from so many places to Charlotte that there was "still hope" for Charlotte. I told him that the natives added so much flair to the city and it was important that Charlotte retain that native flavor. Then he couldnt believe I was from NC because I didnt "sound" like it. All in all it was an interesting conversation. He said he liked Charlotte, but it was the first "small city" he had ever lived in. I asked him what other cities he had lived in and he said Chicago and Miami. So there you go.......

Edited by Skyybutter

Happened again - the ticker on this morning's tv news in Denver reported that the Broncos would be playing in "South Carolina" today.

Jesus that ticks me off a huge amount. Which station, I'm going to call them and yell. I mean seriously, what kind of stupidity does that take.

Happened again - the ticker on this morning's tv news in Denver reported that the Broncos would be playing in "South Carolina" today.

Lol, well the Panthers are SC's team too!

For what its worth, the Buc's coach congratulated "North Carolina" on its win last week. Apparently to him they are the North Carolina Panthers. <_<

--

I recently went to a large wedding in Georgia (not Atlanta) and I decided to experiment with the whole "where is Charlotte" thing. When the conversations came around to where I lived I tried saying "Charlotte, North Carolina" and "Charlotte." I came away from the experiment feeling like saying "Charlotte" was enough to make people understand. The number of people to whom I had to specify "North Carolina" was insignificant.

I noticed that in general, most (if not all) younger people knew about Charlotte- at least enough to know where it is. Many knew people who were looking for jobs here or were looking themselves.

I noticed that the non-young people either knew Charlotte well because of business, knew some basics, or had no clue whatsoever. Everyone knew of Charlotte's existence but some weren't sure about anything beyond that. I only had to explain where it was to a handful of people. Only one person said it was in SC, but I think they might have been unsure/confused since I had told them I was from SC and how it was great that I live so close to my hometown. Or it might have been the alcohol.

The general sentiment of those that knew of it was that it was a big banking city. One guy called it the new New York (this was right after BofA purchase of Merryl). A few people commented on the Panthers. Nobody brought up NASCAR.

2007 estimates: Denver Aurora MSA is 2.4 million, Charlotte Gastonia Concord MSA is 1.6 million. Denver Aurora Boulder CSA is 2.9 million, Charlotte Gastonia Salisbury CSA is 2.2 million.

Regarding municipal population, yes Charlotte is larger. Denver is a city - county government (no excuse - just saying).