Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Since the topic seems to be TWC, I thought I'd through this in...

Was watching the forecast this afternoon and across the bottom third of the screen they had a mini-forecast of all the cities that are getting or expecting snow from this storm. As the changed from city to city, I noticed Charlotte didn't get the NC along with Atlanta, Boston, and NYC. Memphis and Nashville got TN, Pittsburgh got PA, all the VA cities had the state, but not Charlotte. Now, the upper two thirds was the weathercaster doing her thing. She talked about Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh. In their graphic, all three had the state lable. I'm sure each one had it's own format, which would explain the difference. Also, when she talked about Raleigh, they showed a still show of the downtown, but when they talked about Charlotte, it was just a background, not the city.

Since the topic seems to be TWC, I thought I'd through this in...

Was watching the forecast this afternoon and across the bottom third of the screen they had a mini-forecast of all the cities that are getting or expecting snow from this storm. As the changed from city to city, I noticed Charlotte didn't get the NC along with Atlanta, Boston, and NYC. Memphis and Nashville got TN, Pittsburgh got PA, all the VA cities had the state, but not Charlotte. Now, the upper two thirds was the weathercaster doing her thing. She talked about Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh. In their graphic, all three had the state lable. I'm sure each one had it's own format, which would explain the difference. Also, when she talked about Raleigh, they showed a still show of the downtown, but when they talked about Charlotte, it was just a background, not the city.

I had several family members call me to tell me that Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel was reporting live from Charlotte on March 1 covering the snow storm. I don't know if it was "Charlotte" or "Charlotte, North Carolina" but either way, Charlotte got come love from TWC.

I had several family members call me to tell me that Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel was reporting live from Charlotte on March 1 covering the snow storm. I don't know if it was "Charlotte" or "Charlotte, North Carolina" but either way, Charlotte got come love from TWC.

I saw it, don't remember if they used NC or not. Jim was somewhere along 85 and did several snow updates over an hour or so.

Not sure if there is a tie-in or not, but since NBC bought the Weather channel and subsequently and quietly got rid of Weather Plus+, those guys have been using TWC as the base of their weather reporting. I heard Peter Alexander of NBC refer to Charlotte numerous times without the NC when reporting on this storm.

From the "FWIW" department, I just saw a thing about a ranking that M&M Candy Co. did that put Charlotte as the #2 'Manliest' city, whatever that it. #1 was Nashville, NYC was bottom-feeding I believe.

Like I said, FWIW.

I saw Jim Cantore's report also, I don't recall either whether he used 'NC', but he did refer to it as the Queen City several times, which is unusual. And yes the NBC/TWC relationship is becoming quite obvious now. The other TWC (Time Warner Cable) at one time had on their HD list The Weather Channel, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. I wonder if anyone knows the status.

Not sure if there is a tie-in or not, but since NBC bought the Weather channel and subsequently and quietly got rid of Weather Plus+, those guys have been using TWC as the base of their weather reporting. I heard Peter Alexander of NBC refer to Charlotte numerous times without the NC when reporting on this storm.

I recall hearing that too, it was nice to not hear NC.

yeah that ranking doesn't exactly fill me with pride either as in general, the largest, most cosmopolitan, progressive, and smartly urban cities ranked at the very bottom.

I just saw the criteria in the O. Does sound pretty redneck. Ouch.

Hate to say it, but the criteria almost screams "Southern redneck" to me.

Why "southern" redneck? Do you ot think that the criteria would be applicable almost anywere in the U.S. The south isn't the only place that has hardwares and giant truck exhibitions. Have you been brainwashed into thinking that only the south has rednecks? Wow, some naive people around.

Why "southern" redneck? Do you ot think that the criteria would be applicable almost anywere in the U.S. The south isn't the only place that has hardwares and giant truck exhibitions. Have you been brainwashed into thinking that only the south has rednecks? Wow, some naive people around.

In the northeast, where I come from, these types are often called white trash or skinheads. I guess it's regional terminology. But yes, rednecks certainly exist in all corners of the U.S., not just the south.

I said "Southern" redneck because Southern cities top the list for one (thought you would have at least read the list), and they used NASCAR as a criterium which appears to be more popular in the South than any other region. Get a grip, dude.

I moved here from Charleston and I feel like I am in a bigger city when I visit there. Probably because the downtown there is so classically urban and dense.

I agree. King Street has tons of botiques and department stores like Sachs Fifth Ave., etc. There are tons of restaurants and it does have a large city feel unlike most cities in the modern day US. And, there are no skyscrapers. Old Town Restaurant on Kings St. (Greek place) has always been one of my favorites. Ever eaten there?

I said "Southern" redneck because Southern cities top the list for one

(thought you would have at least read the list), and they used NASCAR as a criterium which appears to be more popular in the South than any other region. Get a grip, dude.

Unless things changed, Denver, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati which were in the top ten aren't southern. Obviously, I did read the list. I am sure that you did not mean to insult anyone and I didn't mean to be a smart@ss. Sorry that it looked that way. Besides, I know plenty of pretty good rednecks all over the country.

Edited by caterpillar2

Unless things changed, Denver, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati which were in the top ten aren't southern. Obviously, I did read the list. I am sure that you did not mean to insult anyone and I didn't mean to be a smart@ss. Sorry that it looked that way. Besides, I know plenty of pretty good rednecks all over the country.

Just to be difficult, many consider Cincinnati to be southernish or quasi-southern because of its "hickish" culture and southern ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Am surprised nobody posted something about Will Smith's (actor) comments about filming a movie here in Charlotte next Fall. The movie is about Obama's rise, and the article appeared this morning in "Carolina Living", p. D1. In addition to talking about the movie, he also comments on Charlotte in VERY flattering terms. For instance, he says, "Charlotte's the city Washington (DC) wishes it were...".

He also said we're "hipper" than Washington. Go figure.

I can't find the online version.

I was just up in Baltimore and DC the past few days and heard a funny advertisement. I was in the transfer van from BWI to the hotel and an ad for AirTran Airways advertised Charlotte, but it was a very sarcastic advertisement that said something like "C'mon, everyone knows someone that has moved to Charlotte". I don't know what they were trying to get across except to fly AirTran, but thought it was especially interesting as Charlotte is not a hub for AirTran.

I was just up in Baltimore and DC the past few days and heard a funny advertisement. I was in the transfer van from BWI to the hotel and an ad for AirTran Airways advertised Charlotte, but it was a very sarcastic advertisement that said something like "C'mon, everyone knows someone that has moved to Charlotte". I don't know what they were trying to get across except to fly AirTran, but thought it was especially interesting as Charlotte is not a hub for AirTran.

On the contrary, Baltimore is a hub for Airtran. :thumbsup:

On the contrary, Baltimore is a hub for Airtran. :thumbsup:

It would seem to make more sense to advertise flights from BWI to San Juan, West Palm Beach, Ft. Meyers - I don't know about Charlotte. AirTran offers direct flights from Charlotte to Atlanta, Baltimore, and Orlando.