Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

I've flown the CLT-BWI route on Airtran a few times in the last 6 months (in the middle of the week) and would say the flight was easily 75% full. So, I'd imagine it's not doing too bad. It's definitely not business travelers like myself that use the Airline. It's primarily the leisure traveler, which it caters to. I think my flight was at probably $200 less than USAirways (imagine that huh?). I just try to be a good citizen a support the discount carriers when I can :)

I've flown the CLT-BWI route on Airtran a few times in the last 6 months (in the middle of the week) and would say the flight was easily 75% full. So, I'd imagine it's not doing too bad. It's definitely not business travelers like myself that use the Airline. It's primarily the leisure traveler, which it caters to. I think my flight was at probably $200 less than USAirways (imagine that huh?). I just try to be a good citizen a support the discount carriers when I can :)

Load factor does not tell if a route is doing good or not. Selling a seat doesn't translate to a profit/successful route unless you're selling it at a profit.

Load factor does not tell if a route is doing good or not. Selling a seat doesn't translate to a profit/successful route unless you're selling it at a profit.

Exactly. Even though it is a low-cost carrier, the airline probably cut costs significantly to fill those seats especially in today's economy. Oh and when Airtran's seats are getting filled, another airline is losing them so it's not a win-win situation.

Edited by citylife

Didn't USAir use the federal bankruptcy laws to devastate employee compensation and now, as a result, bill's itself as a lowcost airline? What is the difference between it and Airtran these days?

I believe they did. I find Airtran to be better myself. I have had horrible experiences with US Airways in my lifetime from cancelled flights to overbooked seats where I was the one who got bumped. One time, my flight got cancelled three times in a row and they had to put me on a Delta flight two days after my original flight was supposed to leave. I will never fly US Airways again after that mess. That ordeal was basically the nail in the coffin. I have flown with at least 10 different airlines and I rank them the worst.

Edited by citylife

I believe they did. I find Airtran to be better myself. I have had horrible experiences with US Airways in my lifetime from cancelled flights to overbooked seats where I was the one who got bumped. One time, my flight got cancelled three times in a row and they had to put me on a Delta flight two days after my original flight was supposed to leave. I will never fly US Airways again after that mess. That ordeal was basically the nail in the coffin. I have flown with at least 10 different airlines and I rank them the worst.

Well, everyone has had bad experiences with airlines... I've probably had a bad experience on every airline except Jetblue. Also, if USAirways has billed itself as a discount airline like Airtran or Jetblue, then that's news to me.

So Ben Bernake is giving a speech that is being broadcast live from Charlotte. CNBC and CNBC HD are showing it with Charlotte, NC plastered on the screen. Fox Business and Fox Business HD are not showing Charlotte at all, and Bloomberg News is showing it with Charlotte.

I think the fact that CNBC is showing it says a lot b/c most brokers, investors, etc watch this channel. I was glad to see this because I am doing an internship at a commodities brokerage in Chicago and that's all we watch. Too see Charlotte plastered on the screen makes me happy, since I moved to Chicago back in August. It raises questions of where is Charlotte and what is Charlotte. Although I think everyone knows Charlotte is a heavy hitter in the financial market with all the BofA news.

I think the fact that CNBC is showing it says a lot b/c most brokers, investors, etc watch this channel. I was glad to see this because I am doing an internship at a commodities brokerage in Chicago and that's all we watch. Too see Charlotte plastered on the screen makes me happy, since I moved to Chicago back in August. It raises questions of where is Charlotte and what is Charlotte. Although I think everyone knows Charlotte is a heavy hitter in the financial market with all the BofA news.

I wouldn't be worried about if people do not know which state Charlotte is located in. Chicago for example; I'd be interested to know how many people know off the top of their head that it's in Illinois. Or Detroit. To be honest, It takes me a while to remember that Detriot is in Michigan. I actually had to google it; I thought it was in Wisconsin for a minute. :wacko: And I usually am great at geography :P At least Spanish geograf

I was watching TV tonight, and for the life of me I can't remember the channel (although I do know it was a national cable channel like the Golf Channel) and they had an add for Charlotte using the "Charlotte's got a lot" slogan. Anyone else seen this yet?? I looked for it online but couldn't find it. Actually, it wasn't a bad commercial; made Charlotte look pretty good.

Service Untitled, a blog about customer service, had an entry about Charlotte-Douglas on Friday. The writer was connecting flights there as he traveled to and from a conference in NOLA. It's a very positive article that starts off:

"I spent Friday and Saturday in New Orleans for WordCamp NOLA and part of my traveling experience was going through the Charlotte International Airport to catch a connection flight (each way). I

I was watching TV tonight, and for the life of me I can't remember the channel (although I do know it was a national cable channel like the Golf Channel) and they had an add for Charlotte using the "Charlotte's got a lot" slogan. Anyone else seen this yet?? I looked for it online but couldn't find it. Actually, it wasn't a bad commercial; made Charlotte look pretty good.

I did see that commercial too - however it was on a local station. It had me scratching my head as to why you are "preaching to the choir." Having worked in advertising, I thought it was a waste of money to air it in your own market - when most people know (or should know) all of the things we have.

It should be on national channels or areas within about a 250-300 mile radius to bring in tourism.

Overall, I did think it was a well made ad for the region.

..... I thought it was a waste of money to air it in your own market - when most people know (or should know) all of the things we have.

It should be on national channels or areas within about a 250-300 mile radius to bring in tourism....

Being a native of this area, I can tell you that you would be surprised at the number of people in the Charlotte TV market that have not been Charlotte other than maybe a trip to the hospital or something similar. They are maybe trying to crack this market open.

In regards to the ad itself, it may be advertised on a cable adsence break where the local cable company will insert an ad over a national ad. There are defined times when they can do this. Sometimes they will mess it up and you can see part of the real advertisement. You normally don't see the same thing on satellite TV, but since they have started to move to spot beams this sort of thing may show up there too.

I saw this ad on WNBC New York Last week. I was very suprised to see it. I usually see Williamsburg Ads 3-4 times a week, this is the first I've seen one from as far south of charlotte.

• 3 weeks later...

A local MPLS.-STPL radio station (89.3 the Current, which is one of the country's best) has been playing requests from people in Charlotte, NC (as well as other cities throughout the country). My perception of Charlotte is that musical tastes aren't being addressed. I've never paid attention to radio stations while in Charlotte. With that said, are all of the stations there commercial?

I know there are some descent bands in the Charlotte area (Benji Hughes kicks) as they are played on the Current. Are local musicians being heard in Charlotte?

A local MPLS.-STPL radio station (89.3 the Current, which is one of the country's best) has been playing requests from people in Charlotte, NC (as well as other cities throughout the country). My perception of Charlotte is that musical tastes aren't being addressed. I've never paid attention to radio stations while in Charlotte. With that said, are all of the stations there commercial?

I know there are some descent bands in the Charlotte area (Benji Hughes kicks) as they are played on the Current. Are local musicians being heard in Charlotte?

Nope. CLT has a huge void of independent/diy music, which I suspect ties in directly into the focuses of the colleges around here. This is not necessarily a "liberal arts" mecca.

Nope. CLT has a huge void of independent/diy music, which I suspect ties in directly into the focuses of the colleges around here. This is not necessarily a "liberal arts" mecca.

There are plenty of great bands in Charlotte, but the corporate types seem to like to promote the "safe" cover bands. Way to many bland cover bands in this city. Look at the line up for Alive after Five; more like snooze after five.

Well theres actually "some" activity in this regard at UNCC I once was handed a CD of a band called Sugar Glyder while on campus.