Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

A local MPLS.-STPL radio station (89.3 the Current, which is one of the country's best) has been playing requests from people in Charlotte, NC (as well as other cities throughout the country). My perception of Charlotte is that musical tastes aren't being addressed. I've never paid attention to radio stations while in Charlotte. With that said, are all of the stations there commercial?

I know there are some descent bands in the Charlotte area (Benji Hughes kicks) as they are played on the Current. Are local musicians being heard in Charlotte?

The Current is my favorite radio station in the country. And probably the world. I listen to it on a daily basis online. I love it when I'm in the twin cities and I can listen in the car (which unfortunately isn't often enough). But here in Charlotte, I have to be at a computer to listen.

It's weird that you mention requests from Charlotte, because I have made some on the 89.3 website. Was it an Avett Brothers song? That's the last one that I recall requesting - it was "Salina" after they asked listeners to request songs about coming home. The song ends with "Carolina, one day I...some day I'll come home".

About Charlotte's music scene - it was utterly devoid of anything until the last few years. The band I requested on The Current, The Avett Brothers, have gained quite a bit of indie popularity lately - they are from here. Also, Charlotte is home to the Noises 10, The Sammies, GoGo Pilot, Anthony Hamilton, and quite a few more.

Charlotte's recently gotten some great shows, which didn't used to happen so often. I have seen Death Cab for Cutie, Ra Ra Riot, Cold War Kids, Ben Folds, Kings of Leon, Islands, and The Walkmen lately. Coming up is Band of Horses, the Arbouretun (Bonnie "Prince" Billy band member), Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, TV on the Radio, Mat Kearney, Jack's Mannequin, Coldplay, Elbow, and of course, The Avett Brothers. I think things might be turning around. There have been good turnouts at every show that I've been to, although KOL did mention that "you guys should bring your friends next time" because there were some unfilled seats.

As far as venues go, Charlotte's got some pretty decent ones - Amos', The Visulite, and Neighborhood Theatre are my favorites. Soon, there will be two more venues at the NC Music Factory, including an official Fillmore location - run by Live Nation and modeled after the famed SF venue.

I have my hopes up for the Charlotte music scene. Things are looking better all the time. I don't expect this to be the next Seattle, Minneapolis, or Austin, but I think we can support a good scene here

i can find more good shows to see in town than i can actually do, which is about 1 a week, so i have to make some tough calls there. pretty decent music scene imo and its only been improving in the year and a half that i've been here.

as far as local bands go, we have some good jam rock, blues, and bluegrass/folk groups around.

I don't want to deny that there ARE talented musicians in Charlotte. I think I would just like to say that their ethic/approach is not on par with the indie/diy scenes in music mecca cities. There is a corporate professionalism tinged in almost everything in this city - good or bad.

I haven't listened to FM radio in years. People are moving to things like Slacker Radio where they can pick what they listen to.

I listen to FM all the time and am thinking of canceling my Sat. Radio. I think we're both just stating what we do rather than informing on a larger trend.

There's a discussion of the growing ATL/CLT rivarly in the AJC this morning. It is interesting how, despite a lot of Charlotteans' complaints about being treated unfairly at the NC legislature, it could be a lot worse. (Even the NYC MTA has been getting screwed by NY state over funding cuts recently FWIW.) McCrory certainly enjoys crowing about the NASCAR HOF. :lol:

The relationship between Charlotte and the NC Legislature is like peaches and cream when compared to Atlanta and the GA Legislature. And I suspect that articles like that are geared more towards lighting a fire under the GA Legislature so they can get their heads out of the sand than any real "rivalry."

Mark Cuban's HD only channel HDNet is replaying a concert the network apparently filmed in Charlotte last year called The Cure 4Play in Charlotte 2008. Some checking reveals this was in Bobcats Arena. I am not sure if TWC carries this channel but it is available on the satellite carriers such aa Dish and DirectTV. Looks like it was originally broadcast late in 2008. It was on this afternoon. Not once was NC added to CLT. So go to CostCo and get a cheap HDTV and have a look.

It appears it was so popular that it has shown up on various downloads. Power to the People.

McCrory (and Charlotte) made today's Wall St Journal. His strained relationship with the state gov. was the primary example in an article about cities feeling like they are getting shafted in the disbursement of stimulus funds.

NPR perceived Charlotte as the home of the NHL Hurricanes in todays newscast.

They never followed Charlotte with "NC" which is cool - but then again, maybe Raleigh wouldn't think it was.

I just heard that as well! The lady was giving a run down of the NHL and NBA game results from last night -- to my surprise the Charlotte Hurricane's won!!

The WSJ weekend edition has a story about Portland ( big surprise) and other "hip" cities like Austin losing jobs and stagnating but they are still getting flooded by 20s and 30somethings because people just love the vibe and lifestyle they offer. I still have not figured out what our vibe is. Charlotte is not in the story but we are in the top ten in the chart listing popular cities for grads to migrate to. I like Portland too, but think it's going to reach saturation point soon and the hunt will be on for the "next Portland". Last weekend, the NYT Travel Section's main page was about Portland. Reminds about how hot Seattle was in the 90s. Everyone seemed to be moving to Seattle. I guess we don't get enough rain and grunge rock to be "hip". We are hip because we are not hip like Austin or Portland!

The WSJ weekend edition has a story about Portland ( big surprise) and other "hip" cities like Austin losing jobs and stagnating but they are still getting flooded by 20s and 30somethings because people just love the vibe and lifestyle they offer. I still have not figured out what our vibe is. Charlotte is not in the story but we are in the top ten in the chart listing popular cities for grads to migrate to. I like Portland too, but think it's going to reach saturation point soon and the hunt will be on for the "next Portland". Last weekend, the NYT Travel Section's main page was about Portland. Reminds about how hot Seattle was in the 90s. Everyone seemed to be moving to Seattle. I guess we don't get enough rain and grunge rock to be "hip". We are hip because we are not hip like Austin or Portland!

I dunno if Charlotte has a vibe or if it ever will have one, but I'm also not sure if one is really necessary to attract people. Most of my old friends originally from the NE who have since disbursed around the country and whom are not familiar with Charlotte seem to think it's a city that people keep migrating to in droves. When I ask them what they know about it, they just say "nice weather", "very affordable" and "good quality of life". That's it. No hip music or arts scene, no outdoorsie activities, no beaches, no great shopping district. I think the affordability and weather can be enough to get people talking about it and then it sorta becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy through inertia. That might be enough buzz to keep it growing.

I agree ^ And I know this is a topic that can be debated endlessly. Not a big fan of "Charlotte's got a lot" but do think we are a blend of a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Without a dominant social player downtown like a major university or well known A/E scene, one niche has not defined us. You pretty much make it what you want. We just need a little bit more of everything. If we could just find a way to stretch Thomas, Davidson, and Camden out several more blocks I would be all set.

Edited by voyager12

I dunno if Charlotte has a vibe or if it ever will have one, but I'm also not sure if one is really necessary to attract people. Most of my old friends originally from the NE who have since disbursed around the country and whom are not familiar with Charlotte seem to think it's a city that people keep migrating to in droves. When I ask them what they know about it, they just say "nice weather", "very affordable" and "good quality of life". That's it. No hip music or arts scene, no outdoorsie activities, no beaches, no great shopping district. I think the affordability and weather can be enough to get people talking about it and then it sorta becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy through inertia. That might be enough buzz to keep it growing.

I think that the NC Music Factory may be able to really energize the arts and music scene here... You have a Fillmore Theater going in along with the 5,000 seat uptown amphitheater, recording studios and rehearsal spaces. To me the theater and amphitheater really fills a void... Having the studios and rehearsal spaces in the same area will be an attraction to musicians. In addition you have various night clubs going in. Of course we all know about the lack of retail in uptown. When the parks get built (whenever that is), it will be a nice destination as well...

I agree that it's a nice image to have but for those of us who are not on the picket fence track and don't want to be, it can feel limiting at times. I never want a family or a house. I guess that makes me rather urban :)

Well the reality is always more complicated and multifaceted than the perception. I think the options for "long-term" singles here are definitely increasing and becoming more varied, especially since the general trend for those who opt for marriage is to do so a little later on in life.

So.....their story is about a school not having many white students.....but are there not more schools like that across the country? I suppose they just want to show the difference that desegregation made maybe.
I recommend you have a look at the article. The point being made was that cities like Charlotte are re-segregating. i.e. becoming less diverse.

The Black student interviewed at West Charlotte High said that she had not attended class with a White student since she was in 3rd grade. Furthermore she said that she had seen her mom's high school year book from West Charlotte where the mix was closer to 50%. She was astonished that it was once like that in this city.