Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

I'm posting this for a second time, but think it is worth it and applies to both threads...seems the in-migration to Charlotte isn't stopping because of the economy (nor in Raleigh for that matter).

http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-...7&GT1=35000

is it just me, or are all the comments on that article highly ignorant and politicized (in both directions)?

is it just me, or are all the comments on that article highly ignorant and politicized (in both directions)?

Honestly, it's a lot of ignorance... I spend a lot of time traveling and working in the northeast (currently Boston area) and most people here have never been anywhere outside of the NE unless they travel to somewhere tropical where they go through either Charlotte or Atlanta. I've even talked to people that had no idea that Atlanta was one of the world's busiest airports. They seriously think people below the mason dixon line live in the sticks.

Unless they've annexed the whole eastern part of NC that's completely wrong... I find that the population figures in the media get messed up for so many different places. Just today ESPN was talking about how if the NFL were to expand that Buffalo would never get a team b/c there's only 300,000 people that live there. That's actually inaccurate if you're talking MSA which is about 1.2 mill.

I swore off Forbes "lists" sometime ago, I swear they do them just for filler. When commenting on Charlotte, rather good or bad, they often get it wrong in many respects. I love it when they contradict themselves in back to back lists regarding a certain city. Whatever... <_<

With the state of the economy news about the 2nd tier cities, such as Charlotte, or Orlando where I am at is pretty non-existant. The only "boom towns" right now seem to be New Orleans and Houma, Louisiana, with 3% unemployment rates. A couple of years ago Charlotte was on the tip of evryone's tongue down here and now nothing. All people talk about is how difficult finding a job is but nobody's running off to NC or Tenn like they were. Orlando has some relief coming our way, the Burnham Research Institute just opened with 300 high paying jobs. In 2012 the new VA Medical Center will open, The UCF College of Medicine, and Nemours Childrens Hospital all in the Lake Nona part of town. Anything of substance providing jobs in Charlotte or Raleigh? Would like to know. Thanks

With the state of the economy news about the 2nd tier cities, such as Charlotte, or Orlando where I am at is pretty non-existant. The only "boom towns" right now seem to be New Orleans and Houma, Louisiana, with 3% unemployment rates. A couple of years ago Charlotte was on the tip of evryone's tongue down here and now nothing. All people talk about is how difficult finding a job is but nobody's running off to NC or Tenn like they were. Orlando has some relief coming our way, the Burnham Research Institute just opened with 300 high paying jobs. In 2012 the new VA Medical Center will open, The UCF College of Medicine, and Nemours Childrens Hospital all in the Lake Nona part of town. Anything of substance providing jobs in Charlotte or Raleigh? Would like to know. Thanks

Yea, I agree... New Orleans is booming, partly b/c people that left after Katrina are able to come back now. People are just going to go where they can find almost any job if they need to now where some may of been more selective before. Right now the one industry that seems to be picking up a lot of momentum in Charlotte is the Energy sector... Several companies here have announced several hundred new jobs in the last month or so. Potentially more down the road... Also, just north of here in Kannapolis is opening a huge biotech campus that's bringing in a lot of jobs as well. Financial jobs, well like every other city those are starting to become hard to come by.

Honestly, it's a lot of ignorance... I spend a lot of time traveling and working in the northeast (currently Boston area) and most people here have never been anywhere outside of the NE unless they travel to somewhere tropical where they go through either Charlotte or Atlanta. I've even talked to people that had no idea that Atlanta was one of the world's busiest airports. They seriously think people below the mason dixon line live in the sticks.

Ah yes. The East Coast bias (Northeast especially) reigns supreme. Especially evident in the media.

• 3 weeks later...

MSNBC has an article talking about the projected populations of various metros in the US. Raleigh and Austin will continue to lead the way in fastest % increases. Charlotte will still be in the top 10. Charlotte's MSA is expected to increase almost a million in the next 15 years to nearly 2.7 million. The one metro I'm most amazed by is Houston... They are expected to add almost another 2.6 million people by then.

Here's a list of expected populations every 5 years til 2025

Indeed. If you use that method of projection, Phoenix eventually becomes the largest city in the world. The collapse of the economy has dramatically changed this and Pheonix is at the top of the list on that. I think I have heard that something like 50% of Phoenix's economy was based solely on house flipping.

On the other hand, Houston does continue to grow because it is mostly insulated from the economic crisis. It is home to the petro based energy industry of the USA and because of that, has an almost endless supply of money flowing into the place. Our appetite for oil guarantees them prosperity even in very rough times and it's one of the very few places where you can find a job. People are moving there in droves because of it. I work with a number of people located in that city and it's the only places that I seen left these days were even IT workers will quit their job because the guy across the street is offering better wages because there are not enough people to fill the spots.

The only projections and estimates that I pay any attention to are those from the US Census. They publish their methodology which includes looking at a number of things including births, deaths, housing permits, etc. Plus they are the only organization that actually goes out and does a hard count every 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you happen to see a copy of TIME magazine from July 6th (the issue with FDR on the cover), check out the full two page ad on the first page. It's a Siemens' ad about renewable energy and sustainability with a new cookie-cutter development in the foreground and the Charlotte skyline in the distance. I'll have to try and find a link to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a commercial twice now for Citgo that REALLY showcases Charlotte.

At first I thought it was a local commercial, but I think it's national. I saw it on NESN (which is the New England Sports Network), and then again on MASN (which is the Mid Atlantic Sports Network). Both times were during baseball games - so I'm assuming they are a sponsor of MLB.

But the commercial is about your "neighborhood Citgo. It's narrated by the "owner" of the Citgo who says something like: "This is my Citgo in Charlotte," and then they start showing images from all over the city (no "NC" after Charlotte). They show quick images of the skyline, Trade and Tryon, LYNX, College St., traffic, construction (things pertaining to cars), and at one point they use the sign from the Neighborhood Theater in NoDa to show "Neighborhood Citgo".

Anyway, looks pretty cool - shows the city to be vibrant and friendly - shows off a lot of activity in the city.

http://www.fuelinggood.com/ is the program

Edited by The Escapists

Charlotte is a major hub for TV commercial production. There are many national ad campaigns that are filmed in sound stages here, and several that use shots around the city. I believe if EUE Screen Gems opens their 2 sound stages here as they have planned, they will also focus mostly on commercials as well.

I've seen two that I know of: BDO at the airport and Husqvarna at Freedom Park. Haven't seen the Citgo yet.

What are some of the others?

There was another BDO Commercial filmed at the Old Mecklenburg County Courthouse on Trade St.

And who can forget Charlotte's own Larry Sprinkle in the Tye D Bowl commercial's...lol

Edited by uptownliving

There was another BDO Commercial filmed at the Old Mecklenburg County Courthouse on Trade St.

And who can forget Charlotte's own Larry Sprinkle in the Tye D Bowl commercial's...lol

Oh yeah, saw that one, didn't realize it was in Charlotte.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Charlotte has made the latest round of cuts in the USA's bid to host the World Cup in 2018 or 2022. There are a total of 27 cities in the US that are now under consideration. For a World Cup bid, the hosting country needs to have between 12-18 sites to host the games. The official bid by the US will be submitted in May of next year. I know it's nearly 10 years away, but the economical benefits of being a host site would be huge for Charlotte.

Edited by dbull75