Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

As far as NASCAR is concerned, it is popular in Australia and some of my Aussie friends want to visit so they can visit NASCAR venues. I am not personally one that goes to races, but the perception by for some that still consider NASCAR a 'redneck' sport, it may not be. I'm glad that we have NASCAR along with other great industries in this area. And, I am glad that we have managed to keep big unions out so that Europe and Asia will invest in us. All good stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^NASCAR, really? I wonder what their methodology was. Is that really the most widely tweeted nickname for Charlotte? If they truly measured the number of tweets, I would imagine "Queen City" and "Banktown" are a close second and third. Poking fun at Charlotte's televangelist history, my personal fav is "Promise Land."

Well there are plenty of worse nicknames on there (hanging basket capital??) so it really isn't offensive to me, but I do seriously doubt that half of these are widely used, I think some cherry picking was definitely going on.

I agree. I think most of these are rubbish. Someone's just trying to be cute.

Reading the WSJ "New York Gay Marriage Vote Alters Political Battle Lines" and this little line popped out at me;

In North Carolina, home of the 2012 Democratic National Convention, the state is weighing whether voters should take up a constitutional ban on gay marriage. Legislators in Maryland and Rhode Island are considering pro-gay marriage bills of their own.

http://online.wsj.co...1813335926.html

I thought it was interesting we got cited as the 2012 DNC host city as it means I guess we're in the consciousness of the nation.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen that specific explanation, but they have had about 20 episodes and it may be in there somewhere. They've talked about NC (always using Uptown Charlotte as a backdrop of NC) in several episodes.

So did they explain the odd shape of the NC-SC state line around Carowinds?

So they profiled the Carolinas in more than one episode? The one that I saw centered mostly on Charleston's role in the Revolutionary War, gave the basic history behind the split of the Carolina Colony, and just highlighted barbecue in North Carolina. I'm glad other episodes were shown that were more comprehensive in their coverage.

As far as the Boomtowns coverage on Yahoo, I really wish Forbes would stop using that picture for Charlotte. Marshall Park looks pretty (you'd probably think it was an active, functioning public space from looking at that pic), but the skyline view isn't the best and, of course, you've got the eyesore which is the unfinished Park development.

As far as the Boomtowns coverage on Yahoo, I really wish Forbes would stop using that picture for Charlotte. Marshall Park looks pretty (you'd probably think it was an active, functioning public space from looking at that pic), but the skyline view isn't the best and, of course, you've got the eyesore which is the unfinished Park development.

good.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently in New Hope PA which is 50 miles North of Philadelphia and about 90 mins from NYC. It is a fairly posh area with many people working in Philly and NYC. Some quotes from people regarding Charlotte.

" I love Charlotte , thats a fun town"

" Charlotte is a pretty big city now right?. Not your typical southern city."

No one has had anything negative regarding Charlotte. Met one couple that were contacting builders in Charlotte a few years back before the recession.

• Like 1

I am currently in New Hope PA which is 50 miles North of Philadelphia and about 90 mins from NYC. It is a fairly posh area with many people working in Philly and NYC. Some quotes from people regarding Charlotte.

No one has had anything negative regarding Charlotte. Met one couple that were contacting builders in Charlotte a few years back before the recession.

Nice compliment. But, Charlotte is likely pretty typical for a larger souther city. Most today have a significant population from other places. Charlotte fortunately is in the right location between NYC and Miami. But, we are still southern and proud, but we welcome nice people. Other than Texas cities, the only southern cities comparable to Charlotte in size are Memphis, Jacksonville, Nashville, and Orlando. All are southern but have their own personalities.

I live about 10 minutes from New Hope. Really nice area. Make sure you get across the bridge (you can walk!!!!) to Lambertville, NJ. Equally cool.

As much as I miss CLT and would love to get back, I think I would miss all the little downtowns around the Philly burbs. I guess i'd have to move to Davidson.

^Wow, that picture of Epicentre looks crucial...great choice for the city.

Great to be on there, but whats up with the seriously old Population numbers, both were 100k too low for our population... You'd think they would AT LEAST use the 2010 census numbers...

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting read that compares Norfolk, VA's new Tide light rail to Charlotte's Lynx. If not interesting for the comparison, it's interesting to read the envy of Charlotte in the commentary and comments. This is how it works, though, everyone is a middle-child to someone else.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/08/charlotte-vs-norfolk-lightrail-lines-same-track